PDA

View Full Version : New! starting out a SW Aquarium

Dragon780
12-31-2011, 08:03 AM
Hi everyone, im new to SW and new to CR

i was wondering is it safe to get used live rocks, and am i able to just put it into a new tank to cycle, i have a 65g tank with not fish or critters, have a few live rocks, is it ok to put used live rock in there to cycle, and during the cycle period, doesnt the rocks create alot of ammmonia? is there anything i need to do, or does the cycle itself takes care of it and it will soon be safe to add fish and corals?

and is it ok to use tap water and use water conditioners

thank you for all your help in advance

Chase31
12-31-2011, 09:13 AM
This link should anwser all your questions http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44859 also i would suggest rodi aswell

Aquattro
12-31-2011, 02:43 PM
The problem with used rock is that you really have no idea what condition it's in. Often people sell their rock because they're shutting down the tank, often due to problems. Did they have a huge algae problem? Is the rock going to leach nutrients back into your tank for the next 2 years? Does it have pests? Did they screw up and treat with meds that adsorbed into the rock?
Sure, you can save a few bucks now, but what will it cost you down the road? I've seen people with complete crap for rock that they spend a couple hours scrubbing with a brush to remove hair algae, aptasia, etc. So you look at it, and the rock appears fine, but that problem will come right back.
Since live rock is the corner stone to a successful reef tank, I always recommend new rock. If you can't afford all new live stuff, mix it with some of the dry products available, it's often half the cost.

As for water, again, I always recommend RO water, but people do successfully run tanks in Calgary (and elsewhere) using treated tap water.

fishytime
12-31-2011, 03:03 PM
First of all, welcome to Canreef .....good link above and some good advice from Brad..... To add to it tho....if you do use dry rock you need to keep in mind that it may take up to a year before that dead rock becomes live and a viable part of the tanks filtration.....using dead rock is a great way to avoid pests and keep your costs down but you then really need to be patient about your stocking.....

BlueWorldAquatic
12-31-2011, 04:19 PM
True, use live rock will be cheaper.

As said above you have no idea what critters are In it, nor do you what bacteria, algae, or even worst coppe is in it.

If you do go used, make sure you kill it first

Dragon780
12-31-2011, 08:01 PM
True, use live rock will be cheaper.

As said above you have no idea what critters are In it, nor do you what bacteria, algae, or even worst coppe is in it.

If you do go used, make sure you kill it first

thanks to everyone, but if i were to kill it, how do i kill it? cause right now i am just cycling everything, and have no fish or corals in it

Dragon780
12-31-2011, 08:25 PM
And also, when and how do i know my water is ready for fish? do i test ph nitrate and all those testers?