PDA

View Full Version : starting bio-pellets: how should i build a good bacteria base?

claymax
12-30-2011, 10:15 PM
so, thinking about starting bio pellets but i want to make sure i have a good assortment of established bacteria, ive read that a "monoculture" of bacteria can lead to big problems. i know there are a few products out there like zeo and prodibio but i wanna hear it from you guys

also could someone recommend a brand of pellets?

Lampshade
12-30-2011, 10:20 PM
I used this to get a good culture started. http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/microbacter7.php I used my old liverock that had a lot already though. As for pellets, most are made from the same thing, i have 2 different types in my reactor right now. I havn't played around or noticed a difference in different types yet.

The Grizz
12-30-2011, 10:24 PM
Hold off on the pellets until the tank is at least 6 months running, just my experience. I use the Vertex brand and have been very happy with them. About a month ago my sand was turning a copper brown color, I knew I was getting low on pellets in my reactor. Topped it off with another 1000ml & within a few weeks the copper brown color was gone.

When you do start pellets start with half the recommended amount for a couple months. You won't need a lot in that small tank.

claymax
12-30-2011, 10:34 PM
i know, patience is key. i think i still have almost 3 months till i hit the six month mark. i guess ill just run some GFO or carbon or something in the mean time....:sad:

claymax
12-30-2011, 10:36 PM
I used this to get a good culture started. http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/microbacter7.php I used my old liverock that had a lot already though. As for pellets, most are made from the same thing, i have 2 different types in my reactor right now. I havn't played around or noticed a difference in different types yet.

where did you find this product? online LFS or petsmart/land

The Grizz
12-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Ya that would be the best, let the tank mature a little while longer its worth it. To many people jump the gun on pellets & have nothing but trouble.

jagermaier
12-30-2011, 10:55 PM
I run Vertex Pro Bio as well and I am happy with the results. Definitely start off slow and gradually increase the amount when your carbon dosing as you risk damaging corals otherwise. Is anyone running duel reactors with their bio pellets say for activated carbon or anything else? I was thinking about piggy backing my bio pellet reactor with a activated cabon one as well.