PDA

View Full Version : Advice on LED lighting wanted

SteveConn
12-30-2011, 08:02 AM
I've been looking at a few different types of LED lighting for a new tank I am expecting in a little over a week. Mty condo tends to be quite warm, so really only interested in LED.

It was suggested Maxspect Mazzara would be a good choice, and I like the fact I can mount it on the glass of the tank, the LED color range and the overall look. The reviews are hit and miss though.

This is what I am looking for:

-I need lighting that can be close to the top of the tank
-I cant mount from the cieling, a tank mounted fixture is best
-Has to be a clean look (its in the livingroom)
-I want more spectrum than just R.Blues and white (I like the near UV and red options)

I would consider Radions if there was a better way to mount them
AI Sols are out because of the hieght I'd need to mount them

My tank is 36 long, 24 high and 20 deep. SPS, LPS and zoas

Really looking for some input here. I pick the tank up in a little over a week.

Nano
12-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Panorama Pro modules are tank mounted, and only sit about six inches above the tank, the color is super customizable as well, and they are dimmable and modular. I have a panorama stunner strip (Magenta) that really sets off the color, but the stunner strips are only supplemental where as the pro modules are good for main tank lighting, they are a bit pricey though for my taste

www.ecoxotic.com (http://www.ecoxotic.com)

Maybe these could work, but its hard to say, I know you can also buy led bulbs that fit in T5 fixtures, but havent really looked into those.

MaxwellSilver
12-30-2011, 03:16 PM
ai nano? but you might need 2. they come with mount on the glass.

mseepman
12-30-2011, 03:32 PM
What bad things have you heard about the Maxspect that has you concerned?

When I look at something like the double Mazzara complete pkg for about $1100 US that seems a might good deal compared to some of the other options out there.

martinmcnally
12-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Have you looked into the Sol rails? Those are tank mount and you dont have to mount Sols on them :) In fact you can mount Radions or a DIY ket or pretty much whatever you want.

http://www.modularled.ca/product_images/o/161/4727049204_f74d8ea5d7__22758_std.jpg

mikejrice
12-30-2011, 05:42 PM
I think the ecoxotic panorama pro fixture would fit your needs perfectly. Full rgb control, mounts low and on the tank.

Michael Rice
Marine Engineers Aquarium Blog
Sent from Tapatalk so excuse my poor English

martinmcnally
12-30-2011, 05:53 PM
I think the ecoxotic panorama pro fixture would fit your needs perfectly. Full rgb control, mounts low and on the tank.

Michael Rice
Marine Engineers Aquarium Blog
Sent from Tapatalk so excuse my poor English

Those are really thin and really bright. We got a bunch of them in yesterday they are 1/2 inch thick and water tight so you could mount them in a splash area (as long as you clean them every so often)

Just took this snap to show the size:
http://applications.ccusa.com/martin/panpro.jpg

Madreefer
12-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Have you looked into the Sol rails? Those are tank mount and you dont have to mount Sols on them :) In fact you can mount Radions or a DIY ket or pretty much whatever you want.

http://www.modularled.ca/product_images/o/161/4727049204_f74d8ea5d7__22758_std.jpg

The problem with these are that they are just too low, the legs are really short. I got the hanging kit to go with those rails and much better.

martinmcnally
12-30-2011, 06:29 PM
The problem with these are that they are just too low, the legs are really short. I got the hanging kit to go with those rails and much better.

Yea but that's what Steve is looking for I thought, close to the tank. If you mount Radions on those rails instead of Sols you get a little more breathing room.

Matman
12-30-2011, 06:47 PM
I've mounted the Radion on a maxspect mazzara mount: the best of the two hehe. You can order the mount from marinedepot for 35$. I highly recommend the Radion as the spectrum compare very well to a metal halide for the eye. The control software is really fun too! I use to have maxspect G2 and it's a huge improvement in color rendition!

SteveConn
12-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Great feedback guys

I have looked into the Panorama pro.. Its sleek for sure, but to pay that much for a fixture with little to go on in terms of long term results makes me hesitate.
The Maxspect Mazzara... well, the info I've read points to design flaws in the mounting and poor quality (rails scratched and not sturdy, wiring showing).. and one person raised questions about LEDs being interchangeable on given circuits (replacing a 3W Cree with a Bridgelux) and that one type of lens is a bad idea for different LED types.

AI Sols, according to people I have talked to, would give too much of a spotlight effect if I mount them low, and I would like to have the lights no more than 6" from the water.

Radion, although expensive, are looking to be the be a good choice. I like the color combo, the programming capability and looks like there are a few different ways to mount them low using competitor rails.

If anyone has the Maxspect Mazarra, I'd be happy to hear thier opinion of the fixture, but I'd rather pay more for the Radions at this point.

Nano
12-30-2011, 11:53 PM
I'd pm or email Martin at modular led, he's an awesome guy to deal with! I'm sure he could fill you in about the panorama or radions, a little more. it is after all what he does ;)

SteveConn
12-31-2011, 12:48 AM
Yup, I've got a kit from Martin. He's great to deal with. The chocolate bar was good too!:lol:

Ryan
12-31-2011, 03:55 AM
You guys that are running LED's for daylight (no other lighting types) how do your corals look? Was there a big light shock when you swapped over?

I'd love to go LED but I am not convinced they are any good for daylight. Seems alot of people are burning their corals on RC.

Nano
12-31-2011, 04:39 AM
I have heard of it too, But the thing with these LEDs is that a lot of them are equivalent, or brighter then Halides, from what I have read anyways, and I think it all comes down to Light acclimation, I am getting the AI sol super blue, and I plan on running it dimmed for a long long while haha, Cause I'm on t5s and leds now, but its a big change for the corals to get so much light all the sudden! Thats what I think anyways, but I could be wrong:smile:

mike31154
12-31-2011, 04:11 PM
There are several other relatively new players in the LED game worth a look. From what I've read so far the two I've provided links to below, have done extensive research & offer design innovations specific to our hobby rather than simply going with the cool white/blue colour combos offered in first generation fixtures.

Orphek claims to have developed their own very own LED based on several years of research
http://orphek.com/led/

Kessil is more of a spotlight design, using a high power LED array, rather than the commonly used Cree, Bridgelux etc
http://www.kessil.com/products/a150_led_aquarium_light.php

Ryan
12-31-2011, 05:34 PM
Has anyone used the Kessil? Are they dimmable? Likes dislikes?

Nano
12-31-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm giving this thread 5 stars, cause I like the positivity, and learning thats going on here lol, even I'm learning.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

mike31154
12-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Has anyone used the Kessil? Are they dimmable? Likes dislikes?

I have no personal experience with the Kessil but did some checking & it doesn't appear to be dimmable out of the box. So that would be a con if you're looking for such a feature. The power supply for the light is 24VDC & plugs into a normal wall outlet. If you had a way of providing variable DC power from 24 VDC down, I don't see why it wouldn't dim but not everyone will be willing to give that a try when other units offer dimming feature right out of the box. A handy DIYer could make it happen fairly easily though.