PDA

View Full Version : Clean algae from zoa frag

lastlight
12-29-2011, 09:47 PM
I've had two blue polyps clinging to a small piece of rubble for many months now. What started as a colony of 8-10 polyps was over-run with a thinly branching algae that weaves in between the polyps and chokes them over time.

I had the rubble sitting on the sand bed for a few weeks and it was too close to another small colony of 40-50 zoas. That colony now has a few thin green tendrils winding through it!

I have plucked nearly all of it off and it slowly comes back. Is there anything I can dip the rubble in that will kill this algae and not harm the remaining polyps? Thanks!

reefwars
12-29-2011, 09:51 PM
peroxide as far as i know not ure what the ratio is

lastlight
12-29-2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the lead. I wouldn't likely try this on anything but zoas. Luckilly only 2 zoa colonies require my attention!

http://www.frozenocean.org/t1710-hair-algae-experiment-with-hydrogen-peroxide

That guy tried 4:1 saltwater to 3% h. peroxide which is what I'm going to do.

reefwars
12-29-2011, 10:58 PM
i havent tried it yet but i hear good things, i had the same problem in my zoa tank def gets frustrating and pulling it doenst quite work. leave your zoas in the peroxide dip untill the algae fizzess then it should be gone:):) for good i dont know :)

Hiab422
01-01-2012, 11:21 AM
I just dipped 2 of my rocks one with zoa,s and the other with GSP in a solution of 4 parts saltwater to 1 part peroxide for 5 min each zoas opened as soon as they were put back in and the GSP opened back up the next day all the HA gone.I was really amazed at how well it worked.:biggrin:

gregzz4
01-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Isn't it amazing ...
It's New Years, and we have nothing better to do than play with our critters

Either you're old like my Wife and I, or you are just plain Nuts

Hiab422
01-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Ya kind of funny isn,t it but if you had no hobby life would be to bloody boring.:biggrin:
Probably old as you haha.

lastlight
01-01-2012, 04:07 PM
I did the 5 min dips on two pieces. Both opened up a few hours after but the algae still appeared healthy. Was lots of fizzing in the dip though. 24 hrs later the algae on one is 100% gone and the broader leafy bits on the other appear semi transparent/dead so will wait another day before I decide to double dip. Will be dipping a larger third colony as well now seems to work great.

With one colony retracted i found a small aiptasia. Dip did nothing to it of course.

2pts
01-01-2012, 07:39 PM
I did this 3 days ago on three pieces with zoas / polyps. I also did some smaller pieces of live rock that was branch like cause I was losing the battle on those 3 rocks due to their shapes being too difficult to trim.

From my exerience here (and I actually knew this going in), it will kill pretty much all on the rocks. I was amazed how many amphipods, bristle worms, and asterina stars were on / within the rocks, it killed them all. It also killed all coraline algae, but I didnt mind as I know my tank will regrow the coraline algae quickly.

I didnt have any aptasia on the rocks to begin with. I don't know what they are called but I did have some of those tiny white tubed feather duster like things on the rocks, it killed them.

1 of the rocks I did, had a small mushroom on it that I didnt notice was there until after the dip. It survived, and is open today.

The zoas / polyps are looking way better now than before I dipped.

All the hair algae either fell off when I rinsed it, or withered to a white hue and died.

Nano
01-01-2012, 07:50 PM
peroxide as far as i know not ure what the ratio is

I used a 1 part peroxide to 3 parts water for when I dipped to revive mine, worked like a charm! I probably only had to dip for 1 1/2 minutes or so

2pts
01-01-2012, 07:57 PM
I used a 1 part peroxide to 3 parts water for when I dipped to revive mine, worked like a charm! I probably only had to dip for 1 1/2 minutes or so

Yeah, I should say, I did 4 parts tank water :1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide for 5 minutes.

chandigz
01-01-2012, 08:03 PM
I've been peroxide dipping zoas/palys for a few years now. I use 10% peroxide to water and dip 15 minutes. Kills all algae, zoa eating nudies as well as their eggs(my main reason for dipping), flatworms, and other nasties. It also stops zoa fungus(my other reason). Killing algae was just a bonus.

lastlight
01-01-2012, 09:19 PM
I haven't seen these two surviving blue zoas this wide open in months. Great little trick!

Nano
01-01-2012, 09:28 PM
I haven't seen these two surviving blue zoas this wide open in months. Great little trick!

And cost effective! Thanks to Daniella3D for teaching me this one haha (I think I owe her a frag of my purple hornets ;) )))

lastlight
01-04-2012, 09:09 PM
It's been a few days... both dipped pieces are SPOTLESS. You can't find even a hint of green anywhere on them and all polyps are out. I wish I could safely dose the stuff direct to the display lol.

Borderjumper
01-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Awesome! Wonder if the dip would melt these nasty blue clove polyps growing on my zoas?

daniella3d
01-05-2012, 04:02 AM
I read this! :)

but you owe me nothing, just glad I could help.

And cost effective! Thanks to Daniella3D for teaching me this one haha (I think I owe her a frag of my purple hornets ;) )))

Nano
01-05-2012, 04:20 AM
I read this! :)

but you owe me nothing, just glad I could help.

:)

Its a realy awesome method, and I'm glad to hear its worked for so many, as well as helped your problem Brett! Hope your Zoo's come back stronger then ever! Don't be afraid to give them a second dip in a few weeks if you notice anymore algae or fungus or anything, they are fairly hardy from what I am learning, and will survive quick the beating.

Eduardo
01-05-2012, 05:20 AM
Haven't tried this method but from what I have read on this thread, couldn't this method be used as an effective coral dip for new zoasthat you are introducing into your tank?

Also, couldn't this be used to a lesser degree as adip for the plug/rock base of an sps frag or the stalk of branching LPS like frogspawn?

gregzz4
01-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Haven't tried this method but from what I have read on this thread, couldn't this method be used as an effective coral dip for new zoasthat you are introducing into your tank?

Also, couldn't this be used to a lesser degree as adip for the plug/rock base of an sps frag or the stalk of branching LPS like frogspawn?

I'd also to like to know the answer to this ...

BigAl07
01-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Awesome! Wonder if the dip would melt these nasty blue clove polyps growing on my zoas?

Unfortunately I have to say no at least in my experience. Those "Japanese Clove Polyps" are tougher than the algae. I'm about to eradicate mine using a very intensive means... Laser!!

re: H2O2 Dipping - I've done (and plan to always do for new coral frags) H2O2 dips. Depending on the reason for the dip determines the amount of H2O2 and the amount of time the frag is dipped. I can tell you for sure that a dip of H2O2 will kill Bryopsis, GHA and a whole plethora of other nisance algae. I can't say one way or the other on Bubble Algae because I always pick it off outside of the tank then do a H2O2 dip.

Here are a few pictures I snapped of before & after treatments:

Before (Grande Palys)
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/BigAl07_01/34g%20Mountain%20Reef/Peroxide/DSC00331.jpg

After (5 min dip in 50/50 @3%)
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/BigAl07_01/34g%20Mountain%20Reef/Peroxide/DSC00341.jpg

The following day there were no sign of any nuisance algae and 3 months later it's still clean as a whistle.

One thing I have started doing is trying to keep as much of the coral tissue as possible OUT of the solution. I'd got a piece of eggcrate in the dish and I will add the mixture only deep enough to cover the whole frag base to try and minimize long-term tissue damage with H2O2 exposure.

Here are a couple of videos of the actual dip taking place (it's been a while)
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/BigAl07_01/34g%20Mountain%20Reef/Peroxide/Coral%20Dip/th_Peroxide_Dip_PalysA_7_21_2011.jpg (http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/BigAl07_01/34g%20Mountain%20Reef/Peroxide/Coral%20Dip/?action=view&current=Peroxide_Dip_PalysA_7_21_2011.mp4)

and here's the same frag disc but later in the DIP process
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/BigAl07_01/34g%20Mountain%20Reef/Peroxide/Coral%20Dip/th_Peroxide_Dip_Palys_7_21_2011.jpg (http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/BigAl07_01/34g%20Mountain%20Reef/Peroxide/Coral%20Dip/?action=view&current=Peroxide_Dip_Palys_7_21_2011.mp4)

and here you can see the next say any remaining algae is bleached and expiring.
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/BigAl07_01/34g%20Mountain%20Reef/Peroxide/DSC00281.jpg

So from the above testing I decided many months ago that all new frags (if I can get the majority of the coral out of the solution) going into my tank will get a min of a 3 minute 50/50 @3% dip. It has worked wonders for me and my tanks.

nerdz
01-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Does anyone know if this would be safe for a candycane frag?

Sure seems like a simple and effective method provided you can access/remove the piece of rock.

Thanks

BigAl07
01-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Does anyone know if this would be safe for a candycane frag?

Sure seems like a simple and effective method provided you can access/remove the piece of rock.

Thanks

I did this exact treatment on a (Neon Green) CC frag. I kept the "Meaty" portion of the frag out of the mixture the best I could but some of the heads were submerged in order to get ALL the algae into the mixture. Just remember what works great in one tank may or may not work as well or at all in another. Trial and error will be your guiding light and as always YMMV.

phi delt reefer
01-05-2012, 03:51 PM
i pour un-cut peroxide over all my zoa frags before putting them in the tank for it seams all of them always have algae. No frags have died from the treatment

i use a shot glass for dipping frag bases on more sensitive corals.

BigAl07
01-06-2012, 03:03 PM
i pour un-cut peroxide over all my zoa frags before putting them in the tank for it seams all of them always have algae. No frags have died from the treatment

i use a shot glass for dipping frag bases on more sensitive corals.

I like both ideas here. I may implement them both on my systems asap.

Reefie
01-06-2012, 07:51 PM
H2O2 dosing in the DT is possible. However, it depends on what corals you have. H2O2 dosing is also ONLY a temporary fix, keep your water params in check to properly control GHA. I was dosing H2O2 straight-up with a baster on my LR, it was a last resort for me as none of the corals, clams could be removed without harm. It WORKS, however keep in mind that it will only be a temporary quick fix. I can tell you that it is safe for all fish and inverts, but be warned that there are a few corals that won't tolerate H2O2. Open Brains are one of them, as well as Xenia's. I would also assume quite a few softies don't tolerate H2O2 also, I don't have any softies in my tank so I can't tell you in detail.

H2O2 also works well against Cyano. My one piece of advice is to dose your DT, wait 15 mins or so for the H2O2 to work, and then do an immediate WC. You will find that the fish appreciate the extra oxygen in the tank, and your CUC will work a little over-time and feast on the easier to digest oxidized GHA.

Here is some good reading on tank-wide dosing if anyone's interested.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=268706

lastlight
01-11-2012, 03:57 AM
Amazingly enough the roots somehow survived dip one on my blue zoas. They're slowly growing back so it's time for a second dip. This time I'm also going to switch the frag around more and maybe poke the roots to make sure they are fully wetted. Who knows maybe with all the bubbles given off the deepest crevasses under the roots are protected.

lastlight
02-01-2012, 05:20 AM
Seems a person needs to wait a long time in this hobby to know anything for certain. The exact same algae that I was trying to eradicate on 3 separate frags has returned on all of them. I'm not sure if I should continue dipping or increase the concentration. The zoas fully open within hours/a day as it is. This is an insanely intrusive algae that threads between polyps and chokes the colony. It spread from frag 1 to frag 2... a single tendril of the stuff that snaked to a neighboring zoa colony. It will even fuse nearby sand and try to choke it!

Thinking perhaps I should just play it safe and get rid of them...

ashr
02-01-2012, 05:21 AM
I say add a clean up crew. They always clean mine up :D

lastlight
02-01-2012, 05:23 AM
My tank currently has no hermits or snails but I'm contemplating that idea thanks.

kien
02-01-2012, 05:34 AM
Your problem is that you hate yellow tangs :-). Such nuisance algaes would have no chance in hell of surviving in the same tank as my yellow tang :lol:

BigAl07
02-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Keep in mind that the "Algae" is possibly only the symptom and may not be the actual root (pun intended) problem. This isn't always the case as some algae are super efficient and will thrive in a fairly low nutrient system but usually algae is the symptom and not the cause.

I'd continue the dipping but also address the tank as a whole with:

a) As mentioned above boost your Clean Up Crew greatly
b) evaluate type of foods being used
c) evaluate amount and frequency of feeding
d) evaluate fish load
e) evaluate water change amount & frequency
f) evaluate over-all tank bio-filtration and manual filtration methods

Algae is best attacked from several points all at the same time. I've often found that my "Dips" work best immediately following some type manual removal (scrubbing, picking, cutting, pulling LOL). I just dipped some new frags over the weekend and I scrubbed them with a metal brush (looks like a tooth brush but it's metal bristles) immediately before a 5 minute dip in 50/50 solution (and this was SPS ). That night both SPS have great polyp extension and last night looked better than ever. I build a "Rack" to elevate as much of the SPS out of the solution as possible but some always gets ON the coral itself. To date I've had no ill effects of this process.

lastlight
02-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks I agree the fact that an algae can grow indicates it has what it needs in the tank to do so. That's not my concern (a lot of my new rock is leaching nutrients and has some algae on it whereas all my established rock looks clean) and I know I have to wait it out as I did not cook the new rock.

This is a very specific type of algae found nowhere else in the tank... literally. It is on 2 frags and nowhere else. It's also where it keeps re-appearing. I'm looking for the dip to kill it in these two locations and regardless of nutrients in the water if something can kill this algae where it exists mission complete =)

I will maybe try a stronger dip and update this thread later. I'll try and take a pic of this algae as well. Thanks!

BigAl07
02-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Keep us posted. Just remember this algae is a VERY old organism surviving ICE, Fire, Floods and everything else yet still thrives. It's a battle that may have a long time-line for you :)

mseepman
06-05-2012, 05:53 PM
So Brett, did you every beat this algae?

kdpuffer
06-05-2012, 11:32 PM
My question is what peroxide do you use? Food grade stuff or the stuff in the brown bottle from the pharmacy?

lastlight
06-06-2012, 12:48 AM
I was never able to beat the algae and it choked the zoas. I tossed the frag but as luck would have it there was some on another rock I didn't see. It's now weaving it's way into a few rocks. I've beat my hair algae and 95% of the anullata just to have other types take off. Fun :)

I will add that I tried a 100% peroxide dip before giving up and the algae and zoas both lived. I have a yellow and naso now and they do a great job on a variety of algaes but not this stuff yet.

Mike-fish
06-06-2012, 01:44 AM
I used the stuff from the pharmacy. This trick works like a charm