PDA

View Full Version : Where's my mystery wrasse??

Coralgurl
12-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Added a mystery wrasse on boxing day, saw him after he went into tank and next day, has not been seen since. No idea if he's eating, if he was a meal for my mini maxi nem who looked a bit fattish yesterday, or what? Not on the floor...is he just gone! Should I give it more time??

Seamazter
12-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Some Wrasses sleep inside the sand.
Chances are hes just hiding out and waiting.

Coralgurl
12-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Well he's gotta get hungry sometime right? Checked 3 diff times yesterday, when the lights came on today, will check again in bit before I go out...nowhere...will give it more time....:sad:

MarkoD
12-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Lol I had this same thread a month ago. It'll come out after a few days

Coralgurl
12-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Lol I had this same thread a month ago. It'll come out after a few days

Missed it I guess...sorry for the repeat...:redface:

MarkoD
12-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Missed it I guess...sorry for the repeat...:redface:

Lol I was just saying its common for them to hide at first

Seamazter
12-29-2011, 07:56 PM
There could be other reasons why he stays in the sand, but since he is new this shouldn't happen for long.
If he is being chased or picked on he can also hide out.
I just moved all my fish to a 29 gallon bio cube and i havnet seen my yellow coris since yesterday.
He used to hide always till i added more fish.

Coralgurl
12-29-2011, 08:15 PM
I went back to that thread Marko, lol, made me feel a bit better, I've just never had a fish disappear on me...

When he went in the tank, there was no drama from the other fish, was quite peaceful actually. He flared up for the shrimp, solar wrasse and gramma and my female clown just made sure he stayed away from her frogspawn...but he really didn't seem to mind.

Will see if he pops out...soon I hope!

howdy20012002
12-29-2011, 10:28 PM
if you don't have a cover, you might think about getting one.
wrasses love to jump.
I don't believe mystery wrasses burrow in sand.
but they do like to hide until they feel comfortable.
hope everything works out for ya.
Neal

Coralgurl
12-29-2011, 11:25 PM
I just bought eggcrate yesterday just have to cut it. My solar wrasse sleeps under the rocks, not sure if he burrows or not. I'm sure he's fine just getting settled...the last fish that died in my tank, the only reason we knew he died was we found a fin...guess my cuc does a good job. :sad: thanks for the feedback!

ALang
12-29-2011, 11:40 PM
Funny... mine (also new from Boxing Day sale) was hiding for one day, the next day, we was darting in and out of a rock to snatch food or just to peek.
Then, day later, he is very comfortably out and about.

BTW, I have WAY too many fish in the tank that may have tried to bully it, too, so he's pretty brave. Maybe yours is a bit shy.

I love his upward turned eyes!
Good luck with yours.
Lenny.

patd
12-30-2011, 12:55 AM
Hmmm...I must have gotten the extrovert of Mystery Wrasses. He was cruisin the tank from the minute I put him in and is always the first one to the dinner table.
He also swallowed down 2 peppermint and 2 sexies with the first couple of days though...so he wasn't my favorite fish for the first week or 2 :smile:

Coralgurl
12-30-2011, 02:29 AM
Still no sign of him, just fed the others. My solar wrasse had no issues when he went in, checked everyone out and that was it. Glad Lenny's and Patd's are doing well! Mine is pretty small, so maybe having a harder time getting settled.

Coralgurl
01-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Well the verdict is in, the mystery wrasse is nowhere to be found, I think he's a goner...of course he's the most expensive fish to disappear on me......grrrrr

lastlight
01-01-2012, 04:56 PM
I lost a firefish in a 60 gallon for almost a month once. One day he just re-appeared and came out to eat so don't give up hope just yet.

Coralgurl
01-01-2012, 05:11 PM
This reefing thing never stops amazing me....that's one stubborn fish!

paddyob
01-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Unfortunately, some fish do die, and wrasse can tend to be a tad touchy to acclimate from transport.

Hopefully it is hiding, but after a week...

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-01-2012, 07:14 PM
I've had wrasses that disappeared for long stretches of time, as well as a hi-fin shrimp goby which I didn't see for a month and then it just turned up. It was hiding under my Scoly coral. Don't lose hope. It may still turn up.

Coralgurl
01-10-2012, 01:22 AM
I'm starting to think that I have something eating my fish, my bicolor blenny is now missing. I saw him this morning and my daughter saw him after school, he's a pig when I feed and no sign of him....wth??

Proteus
01-10-2012, 03:02 AM
He probably in a rock hiding. My bicolor went missing for a week. Must have been on a hunger strike lol. But he soon appeared

msjboy
01-10-2012, 03:25 AM
I had a cleaner shrimp that went missing in my red sea max 130...not a strand even. I had 2 and now just one. I think my gbta fot it but you would think there should some sort of carcass.

Any chnace of a mantis in the tank.?

Msjboy