PDA

View Full Version : When Do You Change Your DI Resin?

rastaangel
12-29-2011, 05:24 PM
So I was just wondering at what TDS reading do you change out your DI resins? I have a lack of storage space in my place so I use the same container to fill my bottles with RO/DI water as I do to mix my new salt water so I never get 0 TDS in the bottles anyways.... So I usually change mine out when the water coming out of the RO membrane is the same as the water coming out of the dual DI chambers, when the DI resin is totally exhausted which gives me a final TDS reading of 4ppm

bignose
12-29-2011, 07:46 PM
You should be replacing particulate, carbon and resin as soon as your tds meter starts showing numbers.

jagermaier
12-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Usually the DI resin will change color. It starts off blue/green then changes to a brownish color. My chambers are clear so it's easy to check.

lastlight
12-29-2011, 07:54 PM
I find my colour-changing resin isn't entirely changed once the tds meter starts reading 1. There are pockets of 'new' coloured resin still... I give the canister a bit of a shake and this gets me usually a few more hours of zero tds but then I replace the resin. I would trust a meter more than the resin's colour if possible.

jagermaier
12-29-2011, 08:03 PM
I find my colour-changing resin isn't entirely changed once the tds meter starts reading 1. There are pockets of 'new' coloured resin still... I give the canister a bit of a shake and this gets me usually a few more hours of zero tds but then I replace the resin. I would trust a meter more than the resin's colour if possible.

Yes but I think rastaangle was looking for an alternitive to check DI resin as mentioned their collecting the RO/DI water in the same container as mixing salt in therefore not getting a proper reading on the tds meter. Try collecting a sample in a clean container then doing a tds check on it to do it properly.

lastlight
12-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Sorry yes I did miss that.

Non-issue if using an inline tds meter =)

rastaangel
12-30-2011, 12:47 AM
I am using a dual inline meter. Its checked after the RO membrane, which usually is 4 ppm. Then again after the DI resin which at this point in time reads 0 to 1 ppm.
I was just wondering when other change there resin, as I usually dont change it until it reads the same after DI as it does before.
Both of my DI chambers are blue so I cant see what color it is

lastlight
12-30-2011, 01:08 AM
Then what I said applies. I'd personally change when the reading isn't zero.

Delphinus
12-30-2011, 02:57 AM
Agreed with Brett, I switch out the resin when the TDS outputs anything but zero.

Ironically enough with the colour changing resin, the stuff I have right now changes colour well before the nonzero TDS reading. So the colour changing stuff is a really just a rough approximation if anything.

bignose
12-30-2011, 03:52 AM
Agreed with Brett, I switch out the resin when the TDS outputs anything but zero.

Ironically enough with the colour changing resin, the stuff I have right now changes colour well before the nonzero TDS reading. So the colour changing stuff is a really just a rough approximation if anything.

I don't look at the color anymore myself because I found the same change in color myself.

reefermadness
12-30-2011, 03:58 AM
I dont bother to use the colour changing resin...it costs more and is useless if you are using an inline TDS meter.

Mike-fish
12-30-2011, 07:24 AM
Being on well water with high iron I burn the di resin in no time for me I have a tds of 1 it will hold there for a while then sky rocket I change it when it does so. Even with that I've gone through 5 cartridges in as many months.