PDA

View Full Version : bullet resistant glass for fish tank

lockrookie
12-29-2011, 04:00 AM
so on a funky note instead of all this boxing day ranting lol maybe i should build my front pane with bullet resistant glass... this way when my twin girls start flinging things at the tank it will survive lol

Skimmerking
12-29-2011, 04:03 AM
Dude just. Come get my tank and cabinet and call it even

lockrookie
12-29-2011, 04:16 AM
i just cant no room for it im pushing it with my new build. im all maxed out and i could never do that to you ..

unclesalty
12-29-2011, 05:32 AM
so on a funky note instead of all this boxing day ranting lol maybe i should build my front pane with bullet resistant glass... this way when my twin girls start flinging things at the tank it will survive lol

Back in my freshwater days I did actually buy a huge pane of bullet proof glass to build a huge glass/wood aquarium. Glass was a few panes pressed together and I think it was like a whopping 1-1/2" thick. Ended up moving and my dream never did take off.

lockrookie
12-29-2011, 05:37 AM
Back in my freshwater days I did actually buy a huge pane of bullet proof glass to build a huge glass/wood aquarium. Glass was a few panes pressed together and I think it was like a whopping 1-1/2" thick. Ended up moving and my dream never did take off.

but look at ya now your building a 180 ..it works out in the end

cuz
12-29-2011, 05:39 AM
I'd probibly just die inside wanting to try shooting it just once!!! lol

unclesalty
12-29-2011, 05:41 AM
but look at ya now your building a 180 ..it works out in the end

I can't remember exactly as it was yrs ago but the bullet proof glass tank would of been hundreds of gallons. I think it was 6-8 ft long and 3 or 4 feet high and by whatever width I wanted. Was renting at the time so once it would of been built it woulda stayed there! lol

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-29-2011, 07:24 AM
Isn't bullet-proof glass actually acrylic? or is it specially layered glass?

unclesalty
12-29-2011, 07:27 AM
Isn't bullet-proof glass actually acrylic? or is it specially layered glass?

The sheet I had I think was 6 pieces of 1/4" all pasted? together. Was one heavy sheet of glass

MarkoD
12-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Wouldn't having glass that thick make it less clear and introduce more distortion?

Ross
12-29-2011, 03:29 PM
My brother in law is a glazier and he told me that the thing to watch with laminated glass is that its only as strong as 1 of its layers.
not sure how bullet proof glass is constructed, but something to keep in mind.

Besides, it's best to build it from transparent aluminum anyways, its stronger and lighter.

MarkoD
12-29-2011, 03:48 PM
My brother in law is a glazier and he told me that the thing to watch with laminated glass is that its only as strong as 1 of its layers.
not sure how bullet proof glass is constructed, but something to keep in mind.

Besides, it's best to build it from transparent aluminum anyways, its stronger and lighter.

Na, just use the force to keep a volume of water contained in a shape.

lockrookie
12-29-2011, 03:50 PM
just so you know to those who think i was serious... i was not serious lol

Skimmerking
12-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Lol I thought u were your a derp. Still want your 50 gal setup

MarkoD
12-29-2011, 04:02 PM
just so you know to those who think i was serious... i was not serious lol

You basically have to put that in the disclaimer

Lampshade
12-29-2011, 04:04 PM
The one thing you'll want to do instead of bullet proof glass is a bullet proof cabinet. My 2 year old broke the baby lock off mine, pulled out an output hose from a reactor and sprayed 15+ gallons across the room. I also learned that hotwheels do not work well as liverock in the sump. He's almost 3 now, and knows that daddy's fish tank is not to be touched. Just in time for my second to be turning 2 soon.