PDA

View Full Version : Radion XR30w

MikeYEG
12-29-2011, 01:38 AM
Hey there folks. I've been reading up on the new Radions and have a question regarding the light-to-water-surface requirements. My tank has a 'footprint' of 36x24 inches. I understand that the Radion unit has a coverage of 24x24 inches. I'm okay with having some darker bands on the sides as that is what I have right now since my metal halide light has a fairly 'focused' beam of light (my mushrooms are quite happy to be in the shadowy areas :smile:). I am wondering how high I would have to mount the Radion to make the most (get the best possible tank coverage) of the available light 'beam' from the LEDs. The wife has kicked my hobby out of the living room and my reef tank is now in the basement - its quite tall and I have limited space above the tank. I want to make sure I have enough space above the tank before I drop $ on a Radion. Any insight is greatly appreciated - let me know if I can clarify anything!

mikejrice
12-29-2011, 04:01 AM
My tank is 36" by 18" and my Radion it's mounted 12" off the water. It spreads to the edges with almost no falloff. Even at this height, par is in the 200s at center and 100s at the tank ends. If you don't mind some dim areas at the ends, I would say you could bring it down another 4".

Michael Rice
Marine Engineers Aquarium Blog
Sent from Tapatalk so excuse my poor English

tgrover
12-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Same. 12" height covers the 36" perfectly

MikeYEG
12-31-2011, 12:56 AM
Thank you very much for the insight!

RedCoralEdmonton
12-31-2011, 02:56 AM
I agree with lowering them a little, 12 would be ok but I think 8 would be nice.... They spread quite far!

Steve

gucci17
01-02-2012, 03:43 AM
Does the radion come with a hanging/mounting kit? Or do you have to purchase that separately?

Borderjumper
01-02-2012, 03:52 AM
Does the radion come with a hanging/mounting kit? Or do you have to purchase that separately?

You have to purchase one separately.. About $45-$49. the fixture comes with a bolt for each corner that has a hole thru it for the hanging wire, so it's not hard to ghetto up a hanger, if you don't want to buy the kit.

gucci17
01-02-2012, 04:06 AM
You have to purchase one separately.. About $45-$49. the fixture comes with a bolt for each corner that has a hole thru it for the hanging wire, so it's not hard to ghetto up a hanger, if you don't want to buy the kit.

Thank you for your quick response. I think I will go with a hanging kit just incase.