PDA

View Full Version : Rbta need lighting info

tang daddy
12-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Here's a question I am stumped about.... I have kept RBTA in the past however they never survived long because there was too much flow In the tank and they always found their way into a powerhead.

They did well under MH, however how would they do under t5?
Or even LED?

Please put your input in here. I want to make sure my gorgeous RBTA doesn't lose it's hot pink colour, and if you have pics of success under T5 or LED please post em.... Thanks!

paddyob
12-28-2011, 05:09 PM
My rbta has not moved in over a year.

6 bulb t5. Recently split. Likes it about 8" from the powerhead and almost at the top of the tank. Loves the flow.

Good luck.

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu253/paddyob/IMG_9314.jpg

Nano
12-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Thats Strange yours likes the flow! Mine just hates my tank. There isnt a spot for it with low enough flow, so I turned off one of my power heads, and I'm hoping it creates a lower flow area for it, so far, it looks a bit better, but still looks bad if you catch my drift

tang daddy
12-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Paddyob, thanks for posting the pic, my tank has lots of flow because it's sps dominated... I have another tank I started which has a display of 24x18x18. The only option for lights is 2x24w t5ho that's probally not enough par to keep the anemone happy eh? How many watts is your 6bulb t5 and what size tank is this in?

tony_3a
12-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Paddyob, thanks for posting the pic, my tank has lots of flow because it's sps dominated... I have another tank I started which has a display of 24x18x18. The only option for lights is 2x24w t5ho that's probally not enough par to keep the anemone happy eh? How many watts is your 6bulb t5 and what size tank is this in?

When I first started I had a gbta under 2 4 bulb hagen glo fixtures(yes i know....) but anyways it did fine and I had that for about 6 months and everything was good, I would think 2 bulbs would be not enough.

paddyob
12-28-2011, 05:46 PM

4' 70 gallon system.

324 watts. 6 bulb tel light.

paddyob
12-28-2011, 05:48 PM

You can get 4 bulb t5 for 24" tanks.

Samw
12-28-2011, 05:57 PM
When I first got mine about 10 years ago, it was under 110W of PC lighting and they grew fast and split. Needless to say, they are now under 5 T5s (195w) and are still growing and splitting.

tang daddy
12-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I have sourced out a 4x24w t5 unit although if 2 of the lights are atinic I am not sure if this is enough?

paddyob
12-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I have sourced out a 4x24w t5 unit although if 2 of the lights are atinic I am not sure if this is enough?

Toss actinic and go with the newer style. Blue plus is one. By ati I think. They put out more useful spectrum as well as give actinic look. A few out there.

msjboy
12-28-2011, 08:02 PM
I have a gbta ( it has split 3 times, hasn't ventured off anywhere ) and its pretty good except the tentacles are not bubbled up... I have read this means they are trying to get as much light as possible. My tank is a RSM 130 with stock PC lights. Thinkin of getting a RBTA myself but I am concerned about in adequate stock lighting.

BYW, anyone have small recently split RBTA for trade or sale anytime soon?
I am going to get a supplement LED lighting bar ( ecoxotic one ) next week.
msjboy

Reefgoat
12-28-2011, 08:05 PM
You might consider supplementing the t5's with a strip of royal blue leds. That way you could free up 1 or 2 of the actinic bulbs.

tang daddy
12-29-2011, 08:43 PM
Toss actinic and go with the newer style. Blue plus is one. By ati I think. They put out more useful spectrum as well as give actinic look. A few out there.

I am using ati bulbs on my 75g sps tank now with LEDs and trust them because of the par and longevity. When I said atinics I did mean blue plus which is what the fixture has...

To the OP that mentioned led, I have also considered this option but if I am going to run led then no reason to run the t5 also as the cost would be double. I can run 12 crees for $100 or run t5 fixture and led for $150, all led would be better of an option for me!

Also MSJ I think that an anemone can be kept under pc or t5 but as mentioned before I want to make sure the coral does not fade from not receiving enough light, 1 more thing to add my RBTA was not bubble tip when I received it, it was only when I introduced my clownfish which took bites into the tentacles that the tentacles turned bubble. The only problem I am facing now is an ugly box in my 75g where the anemone is held, can't release it as my tank is fully stocked with sps. If I put it into the 50g it falls a meal to the lionfish and I don't really want to separate them.... Ahh what to do???

imcosmokramer
12-30-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm looking to switch the light over my anemone tank to LEDs as well.

Money pit
12-30-2011, 09:36 PM
I've kept BTAs under NO T8s . The key is to feed them in a low light situation. If you have adequate light for your corals the BTA should be ok, if not then feed it.