PDA

View Full Version : DIY LED build

sunoka
12-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Ok I am very new at this still and figured while taking a year to decide what kind of lighting upgrage Im going to build and it will be LED.:mrgreen:

Where would I get the best help buying the correct LEDS( Best supplier) and all the goodies( heat sinks drivers ) to go with it for a complete build.

reef_rookie
12-27-2011, 11:07 PM
There is a member on here who goes by the user name is "martinmcnally" He sells LED kits. His web site is www.modularled.ca

The Grizz
12-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Check out my LED build thread, all with Modular LED

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80996

sunoka
12-28-2011, 01:21 AM
Cost wize is it woth building your own light system vs pre built ??

Check out my LED build thread, all with Modular LED

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80996

mseepman
12-28-2011, 01:31 AM
I think it is...on my build I'm saving what I believe are thousands of dollars

The Grizz
12-28-2011, 01:40 AM
Cost wize is it woth building your own light system vs pre built ??

Definatley cost a helz of a lot less then buying manufactured fixture. I figured that any fixtures store bought for my 8'er would be any where from $4000 - $8000 for what I will be able to do with my back arse heatsinks.

sunoka
12-28-2011, 01:41 AM
After looking at the kit cost there is no comparison in cost LED are cheap to build.

Any extras that came up unkowning ?

The Grizz
12-28-2011, 01:45 AM
With Modular LED there are no "surprise" you need this & this & this.........Martin does a bang up job making sure every thing is right, the 1st time.

sunoka
12-28-2011, 01:48 AM
Nice to hear ! No scr_wing around shipping back and forth.

Thanx guys for all the help.:mrgreen:

With Modular LED there are no "surprise" you need this & this & this.........Martin does a bang up job making sure every thing is right, the 1st time.

The Grizz
12-28-2011, 01:53 AM
Nice to hear ! No scr_wing around shipping back and forth.

Thanx guys for all the help.:mrgreen:

Any time, e-mail Martin the size of your tank, give him an idea of what you would like & he will put a package together for you.

mike31154
12-29-2011, 04:23 PM
When looking at price for DIY vs manufactured, don't forget that many of the newer fixtures available now come with the sort of controllability & software that is beyond the ability of the average DIYer. There's a big difference between what can be achieved with dimmable drivers as opposed to software that is able to mix colours, follow moon cycle & other bells & whistles. If you have an aquarium controller you can achieve some of these functions with a DIY build as well, but then you really need to include the controller in the price. It's tough to quantify bang for buck in LEDs these days.