PDA

View Full Version : return pump flow

lockrookie
12-27-2011, 03:18 AM
so for those who have 150/180/200g tanks what is the return flow that you guys have for your tanks. i will will be building either 2 1 foot overflows or 1 2 foot overflow in the tank. i currently use a quiet one 4000 in my 90 and it seems to work well and was thinking of a quiet one 6000 or 9000 for the 180 i really like how silent they are for in sump applications i have also thought of using two 4000's but would prefer to use one pump rather than two. i realise that i willhave need of powerheads or some sort of closed loop for added flow.. within the tank (this may be a reality to delete powerheads) but to start with im curious what your return pumps are and gph foryour under the tank sump systems

thanks jeff

Lampshade
12-27-2011, 03:31 AM
I have a dart gold blasting through my 150. Way too much flow for a return, but picks up all the detritus pretty well. I'll keep it this way until I decide to cough up a bunch of money on some wave makers, right now I'm using 3 kora 4's. I like it for now, and my coral loves it, only reason I'd like to change it up is to stop some of these micro bubbles in my tank.

e46er
12-27-2011, 04:17 AM
I use a snapper 2500 gph for a return pump for my 120 but it also Runs bio pellets gfo and carbon reactors realistically I figure I have 1000 gph going thru sumP

lockrookie
12-27-2011, 04:48 AM
i think thse may be too much flow for me and both those pumps are external i wont have room for that and i prefer internal pumps. but thank you for your replies

as well i think what im curious about is what would be an ideal turn over rate. if i go with the quietone 6000 i think it will turn over 7 times in an hour.

lockrookie
12-27-2011, 05:31 AM
i think i found my answer here

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78770&highlight=flow+rate

RuGlu6
12-27-2011, 06:35 AM
IMO it is not that much important how much flow you have from the sump to a display tank, as log as there enough flow to keep your "U" pipe clear from air bubbles if you have overflow box that is , it is way more important how much internal flow you have inside your display tank. To keep debris suspended and delivered to your skimmer via overflow.
So as long as you are delivering enough water for your filtration equipment that is all that you need in terms of return flow.
Internal flow inside your display tank is what matters most and that is what most pple have not enough of.

lockrookie
12-27-2011, 06:42 AM
this is true i willbe having an internaoverflow so no overflowbox for me ever again.. they work well but fuggin uggly to look at it bothers me. for nowi will have to have a few koraliasin the tank for internal flow but will have a closed loop setup in place for future hidden flow for that a bigger pump will be required.

i was just more so thinking turn over verses skimmer capabilities and sump flow/ microbubble reduction at this time i dont want to overflow that part of the system or under flow. so for now ill go with a quietone 6000 for that part of the job. it will give me just under 1400 gph at 4 ft head

e46er
12-27-2011, 10:56 PM
All my post was ment to say was get a big enough return pump to run reactors off so u don't also have 2-3 maxijets also running