PDA

View Full Version : halide or t5 or led

marlincoral
12-27-2011, 03:18 AM
Im Just getting back into the hobby and wondering what I should use on my 90gal with soft corals. I would like your opinions. We used to have a 48" coralife pro with 2 250w halide and compacts.

apexifd
12-27-2011, 03:27 AM
I think for soft corals, 150 watts halide is more than enough.

daniella3d
12-27-2011, 03:36 AM
For soft coral I would go with T5HO, no need for MH.

If you decide down the road to go with SPS though, that could also work as long as you have 6 neons.

intarsiabox
12-27-2011, 04:02 AM
T5HO's would work great for soft corals without putting off as much heat as halides. With the right T5 fixture you can grow LPS and SPS with proper placement as well.

mattdean
12-27-2011, 04:32 AM
I have an 8 bulb T5 with a Reefbrite XHO Actinic Blue strip on my 5 X 2 125 Peninsula and the colors are amazing. I can grow anything like a weed in my tank. I around 75 SPS corals in my tank and they are grow very well with nice color. I rarely have heat issues and I like the look of the fixture.

You can see my tank and a "review" of the Reefbrite XHO here: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79427

I have had two fellow reefers sell their MH setup and buy what I have after seeing how nice the tank looks. Hope that helps.

fishytime
12-27-2011, 05:04 AM
Controllable LED......run it at lower intensities and the bulbs will last for years:wink:

Lampshade
12-27-2011, 05:05 AM
LED......run it at lower intensities and the bulbs will last for years:wink:
But that's like driving a Ferrari at the speed limit :(

fishytime
12-27-2011, 05:24 AM
But that's like driving a Ferrari at the speed limit :(

actually, more like driving a Tesla at the speed limit:mrgreen: thats the beauty of LED.....its a sports car that you can drive around town at the speed limit and then when/if you need to (like if you wanna move up to SPS), you can drop the hammer and burns the polyps off your coral:mrgreen:...a controllable LED will allow for a great range of corals, from speed limit softies to full throttle SPS......the Tesla reference is that it is a green sports car......LED will save on bulb changes, save on electricity and save on water production because you will evaporate less......especially if you drive the LED at the speed limit:wink:

daniella3d
12-27-2011, 01:24 PM
You won't sell that to me. I love the shimmer and life of the MH way too much and my SPS are also growing like weeds (acros grow 1" per month)...so any light with proper wavelength and good water parameters and food and they will grow like weeds. It's not only about light you know. I don't have any heat issue with just some little fans.

I have had two fellow reefers sell their MH setup and buy what I have after seeing how nice the tank looks. Hope that helps.

mattdean
12-27-2011, 01:46 PM
I agree it's more than just light. My corals grow like weeds. I almost wish they would grow slower. Regardless, It was the colors that persuaded them to change, however. With Fiji purples and the different blues and a 17.5K duo white, you can really bring out the colors in corals. They said their reds and pinks were WAY nicer after they switched. Add an LED or two to supplement and you have some shimmer. Personally, i don't like the shimmer. i like the "cleaner" look.

BTW, I didn't sell anyone on them. they simply chose to switch after viewing my tank. As for the heat, Unless you have them in a hood which is cooled and vented, I don't like the look of the pendants and fans, but I am a little over the top when it comes to a clean set up. I went to great effort and money to make my set up very clean and quiet.

marlincoral
12-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks for all your replies I think it will be halide or led I dont want to pay $300 every 6 months on t5 bulbs. And I dont know much about led except I see alot of leds of sale and only used for 2-3 months then they uprated so that tells me there are slot of garbage led fixtures.

daniella3d
12-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Red and pink way nicer? I have a pink digitata right underneat the 250 watt MH and I can't imagine more pink than that...Again strong light is the key here and the proper parameters. I bought the other frags of this coral 2 months later and it was kept under T5HO, but it is dull as can be, more like a tan/beige pink than a candy pink like the one in my tank under MH.

So the red and pink are more intense in color under T5HO?

here is the digitata... I don't think you can get anything more pink than this and it's not photoshopped, it the natural color of my little cam taken underwater: You can see the orange digitata on top of the pic.

I beleive the stronger the light the better the color, and of course low nitrates and phosphates and good food. Taken under a Phoenix 14K 250 watt MH with HQI ballast (Coralife fixture).

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy143/daniella3ds/pinkdigi.jpg

Regardless, It was the colors that persuaded them to change, however. With Fiji purples and the different blues and a 17.5K duo white, you can really bring out the colors in corals. They said their reds and pinks were WAY nicer after they switched.