PDA

View Full Version : HelP: Fragging xenias

bcdope
06-30-2002, 11:59 PM
Im giving a few friends some xenias; is there a good way to frag these weeds?

Jacoda
07-01-2002, 12:10 AM
Just put a few small pieces of rocks against
the stalk, give it a few days for it to attach and than just take a sharp clean scissor and cut it! That's all!

bcdope
07-01-2002, 12:12 AM
ace, do you mean, cut the actual xenia it self? so it has to be attached to a piece of rock eh?

Jacoda
07-01-2002, 12:19 AM
You could just cut it and stuff it in a hole or a empty snail shell, or just cut it after it attach it self to a rock, and yes! cut it anywhere in the stalk portion, it won't be happy for a few days but it will survive.

BTW---It only takes a day or two for it to attach to ANYTHING.

[ 30 June 2002, 20:21: Message edited by: Ace ]

Tau2301
07-01-2002, 01:13 PM
I just put mine into a portion of the tank that has a strong current flow. The idea is to get them to lean over. Place a rock or shell next to (have it touching if possible) the one you want to move over and in a couple of days the Xenia will attach to the new surface.

The base begins to thin and this is the portion that Ace says can be cut. If you leave a little stub it will probably grow back.

I just leave mine to move over at their own pace 10 - 14 days.

Bob I
07-01-2002, 11:04 PM
Giving your friends Xenia might be a good way to lose them. It is rather weedy, and they may not like you much after their tanks get overgrown with it. :eek:

bcdope
07-01-2002, 11:08 PM
YOU LET DA CAT OUTTA DA BAG!!!!

ya nobody is biting at my offers at my end...might have to get a thousand gallon to give these guys a decent home....I might have to start engineering one over the week....I think I'll go acrylic this time....

I guess i'll have to hit the LFS to take my beauties...expect to see bcdope xenias around your neighbourhood fish markets :D :D :D

[ 01 July 2002, 19:14: Message edited by: bcdope ]

Son Of Skyline
07-01-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Bob Ipema:
Giving your friends Xenia might be a good way to lose them. It is rather weedy, and they may not like you much after their tanks get overgrown with it. :eek: <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This happens when you put it somewhere where it can reach and start spreading throughout the tank. Happened to me and it was a bad experience! I think that if you mount your xenia in an easily controllable place (its own little rock or something) then they're great! I love the look of them...just not the "weed" factor!

bcdope
07-02-2002, 12:19 AM
Please refrain from talking about pot on the bulletin board.

[ 02 July 2002, 17:41: Message edited by: Troy F ]

Bob I
07-02-2002, 06:40 PM
This has nothing to do with Xenia, but I am wondering if anyone has tried putting some rubble next to Colt Coral, and having it lean in to it like with Xenia, to make a frag that way? I have some Colt that is growing rapidly. I have only a smallish system, and it will need fragging soon.