PDA

View Full Version : What size of tank?

erik.m
12-25-2011, 03:46 AM
So i have been looking into getting a smaller tank in my place and make it somewhat special.

I have always wanted to have a saltwater tank, with 1-4 clownfish, an anemone, and maybe some other pretty coral. My budget is around 500ish..

What size is around 20 gallons(LxHxW)?
what would i need to start off? What should i get/stay away from?

Thanks,
Im excited but kind of nervous lol

Erik

whatcaneyedo
12-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Here is a great selection of articles targeting new people to the hobby. If you accumulate some basic knowledge now you'll save yourself a lot of trouble later.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=51

A 20gal is typically 24"x12"x16" LxWxH

Research every purchase, this includes equipment and livestock.

A lot of money can be saved by buying used equipment instead of new.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Figure out the biggest tank you can fit & you would like in your place. Research lots to see if a standard tank or something like an all-in-one Biocube/Red Sea Max or other brand is more your style. Then have that $500 handy while scouring the classifieds for people selling off systems. Often, if the live rock isn't covered in pests (algae/aiptasia, etc.), you can get something nice that is almost plug and play. Keep what you want, sell off the rest, and stock the way you want it. An anemone likes an older, stable tank, not a new setup. 20g is small to do an anemone (most get big - mine are at least 10" across) and several clownfish. The bigger the system, the more stable the water parameters usually. Getting a clone (of an anemone) is usually better in terms of survival rates.

Good luck,

Anthony

Wayne
12-25-2011, 02:49 PM
I would look to see if I could get a 29G Biocube with stand for a decent price and start from there. Its a nice all-in-one package that you could mod out later (if your into diy stuff).

Heres a tank by itself: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80692