PDA

View Full Version : Re-siliconing a tank question.

ReefOcean
12-24-2011, 02:01 AM
I need to re-silicone a tank because I have no idea how old it is. I have been looking at some instructions on the web, and it appears that most people just remove the visible silicone inside the tank, not the thin layer pressed into the joints of the glass. Is this the right way to do it? I would think that much of the integrity of the silicone comes from the thin layer that is unaccessable in the joints of the glass. As I recall when I took a 10 gallon completely apart, it was the biggest pain in the ass to get the silicone out fo the joints...not to mention having to have a jig in order to reassemble the tank.

Would i be alright just removing the silicone on the inside of the tank? Or do I have to take the tank completely apart?

The Grizz
12-24-2011, 03:13 AM
It would be better to rip it completely apart to ensure that it is sealed completely. What size tank is it? You dont really need a jig, cut a piece of ridged pink insulation to the size of the tank before you strip it, rebuild on the foam to get it back to the same size & use some good tape to hold the corners in place.

hillegom
12-24-2011, 03:36 AM
Here is how someone else has resealed their tank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKactsdPpO8&feature=player_embedded#!

toytech
12-24-2011, 03:50 AM
Ive done a few quick reseals , and i didn't completely remove the silicon out of the joint . I made sure to do a decent tape job and make sure my silicon joint was not to thin and well applied into the gap.