PDA

View Full Version : Acropora spathulata spawning event in Chilliwack

TimT
12-23-2011, 04:44 PM
I guess I will be a new dad soon. :)

Last night I was doing some fragging when I noticed these tiny beige eggs floating in my tank. I looked to see where it was coming from and it was from an 8" colony of Acropora spathulata. Since I didn't want it triggering all my other Acros to spawn I moved it to another tank and did some video. Will post the video as soon as I can.

Cheers,
Tim

wayner
12-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Love the Acropora spathulata, didn't have success with the last colony i bought - too bad -cause i love the thick branches - its like a millie on Steroids :biggrin:

Looking forward to the video.

lastlight
12-23-2011, 05:29 PM
What a gorgeous coral. Does yours look like either of the ones reefbuilders posted a while back? The light purple one just blew my mind so beautiful.

daniella3d
12-23-2011, 08:48 PM
why not let it trigger other spawning? I don't think this type of zooplankton can be detrimental to a tank. Did it even ever happen in an aquarium?

I guess I will be a new dad soon. :)

Last night I was doing some fragging when I noticed these tiny beige eggs floating in my tank. I looked to see where it was coming from and it was from an 8" colony of Acropora spathulata. Since I didn't want it triggering all my other Acros to spawn I moved it to another tank and did some video. Will post the video as soon as I can.

Cheers,
Tim

Aquattro
12-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Did it even ever happen in an aquarium?

years back, Jamie Cross posted pics of his acros spawning, pretty cool!

daniella3d
12-24-2011, 02:12 AM
Did they all spawned at the sime time? or juste one?

years back, Jamie Cross posted pics of his acros spawning, pretty cool!

TimT
12-24-2011, 02:22 AM
What a gorgeous coral. Does yours look like either of the ones reefbuilders posted a while back? The light purple one just blew my mind so beautiful.

I have an orangish and green one and a purple one as well. Both are bigger than my hand.

why not let it trigger other spawning? I don't think this type of zooplankton can be detrimental to a tank.

I did not know whether the acro spawn would sting the other acros if it was blown into them. Anyone know if acro eggs sting other corals?

I also did not want it triggering the other acros to spawn as that much sperm and egg in the tank would definitely cause problems when it all began to die.

Aquattro
12-24-2011, 03:46 AM
Tim, as I recall, Jamie only had a single colony spawn, and no ill effects on the rest of the tank. The event also did not trigger the other corals. He had lots of pics up, but it was 2005/6, maybe earlier, and I don't think the pics are around anymore.
And how does one acquire one of these in purple?? :razz:

Aquattro
12-24-2011, 04:00 AM
Sorry Tim, my memory is slipping. The thread was actually from Jan/03, and it was a crab releasing larvae, which the acro were catching and eating..

fishytime
12-24-2011, 02:55 PM
thats really cool Tim.......truly an accomplishment ....... but sounds like youve been holding out on us!.....you shold send some of those bad boys our way:wink:

TimT
12-24-2011, 04:53 PM
I want to keep them and see if they spawn again next month. I will be prepared this time!!!

I was watching the HD video of the spawning and saw a transparent shrimp in the colony. Didn't even know the shrimp was in the colony until seeing it on the video. LoL

TimT
12-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Here is a quick closeup pic of the spawning event. It's a little grainy due to being taken out of the center of the full pic which had the colony and the bottom of the tank visible.

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd507/Timothios/acrospawncloseup.jpg

Now to work on the video :^)

sumpfinfishe
01-17-2012, 01:27 AM
Thats cool very cool congrats Tim!
Your keeping your corals pretty happy eh :biggrin: