PDA

View Full Version : White Flatworms

swill
12-22-2011, 05:15 PM
I have a 300 gallon Fowler tank and noticed this morning that there are white flatworms in it. I did some reading and read that they are harmless and will usually disappear on thier own. I also read that they like to eat the brown flatworms. I have a 90 gallon that is littered with the brown flatworm, I'd like to take the white ones out of the 300 gallon (somehow) and put them in the 90 gallon. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this or would adivse against it for any reason? :sad::cry:

Thanks!!

FishyFishy!
12-22-2011, 05:57 PM
There are no problems with the white flatworms usually, but if you have brown flatworms, they are not going to go away by simply adding these "flatworm eating flatworms". They are actually relatively annoying to get rid of. I would start a good cycle of Flatworm Exit if you can find it around, or you can try the aqua medic flatworm medication, but it took me like 3 times the recommended dosage to even clear up a little bit of them.

swill
12-22-2011, 06:01 PM
I was going to get some Flatworm Exit on my next trip to the city (I live in a small town) but thought this might also work to keep them under control. I actually took some rocks out two days ago and did a freshwater dip which worked really well, the little buggers can't hang onto the rock once the freshwater hits them...but this is not going to get rid of them for good. I've read there is a slug that eats them but am not willing to take the chance with a slug in my tank and I do have a yellow wrasse that I was told eats them in there but he doesn't seem to be very hungry as they are expanding by the minute!!

FishyFishy!
12-22-2011, 06:20 PM
I've heard of a bunch of different kinds of wrasse that eat flatworms, but mine didn't even touch them.

I've heard that 4, 6 and 8 line wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, christmas wrasse, lunar wrasse, and leopard wrasse are listed on the net. Who knows if any of them would actually help out.

phreezee
01-18-2012, 03:31 PM
My winning combo is a 6 line wrasse and a mandarin goby. Keeps them under control very well. Too chicken to risk my fish with Flatworm Exit.