PDA

View Full Version : shrimp? id please.

Reef Puffer
12-21-2011, 10:18 PM
this little guy is ugly. this particular one is about 3/8 of an inch but i have seen ones up to an inch. sorry for the shotty web cam image but if im lucky someone will get an id. i have a video of this guy but cant seem to get it uploaded. thanx

DemoReef
12-21-2011, 10:25 PM
I would say Mysis Shrimp

Cheers

Reef Puffer
12-21-2011, 10:32 PM
I would say Mysis Shrimp

Cheers
do they actually get that big? like i said the large ones are over an inch. maybe the size of the frozen krill.

Reef Puffer
12-21-2011, 10:37 PM
the way they are always curled over kinda creeps me out. not a huge fan of all these crawly bugs that are showing up here at about the 8 month mark.

MarkoD
12-21-2011, 10:39 PM
lol its not mysis shrimp. mysis are freshwater shrimp.

that picture is way to blurry and dark to see anything

Reef Puffer
12-21-2011, 10:44 PM

that picture is way to blurry and dark to see anything
dark and blurry is what i thought to. was hoping that it was something super common and almost anyone with experience could id. they have wars with my little brittle stars and wasnt sure how safe or even what they are. i cant find my memory card so a better picture is likely out of the question. the video on the other hand was much better than the pic.

chandigz
12-21-2011, 10:44 PM
amphapod

cale262
12-21-2011, 10:46 PM

Scientific name: Americamysis bahia
Ecology: Mysids are small shrimp-like crustaceans found primarily in the Gulf of Mexico and the eastern coast of Florida. They commonly occur at salinities above 15-ppt and are found in greatest abundance at salinities near 30-ppt.

ScubaSteve
12-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Amphipod of some sort. They can get as big as you say. The amphipods on the beach down the block from me get over an inch.

MarkoD
12-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Scientific name: Americamysis bahia
Ecology: Mysids are small shrimp-like crustaceans found primarily in the Gulf of Mexico and the eastern coast of Florida. They commonly occur at salinities above 15-ppt and are found in greatest abundance at salinities near 30-ppt.

All the mysis I buy come from freshwater lakes

Reef Puffer
12-21-2011, 11:06 PM
ya amphipod looks about right according to this http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphipod. thanx for your help guys. my next question is how safe are these things? the little ones r food ide say but what about the larger ones? what do they eat? my small fish? i guess i have some research ahead of me now dont i.... thanx again guys.

paddyob
12-21-2011, 11:31 PM
amphapod

+1

Good stuff.