PDA

View Full Version : will this diy led work, or should I....

jbjack
12-21-2011, 06:41 AM
ok, still consider myself a newb to sw, especially led lighting, this is why posting here.

I ordered a JBJ nano 28g It has a spot in the back to grow chaeto, with a clear spot to provide lighting. you can buy a jbj nano glo which is a square led light with 4 leds and it attaches nicely to the back with a magnet BUT its $59 + about $10 - $20 shipping. thats a bit pricey for me just to grow / keep chaeto. but attractive since there is no light illuminating from the back (wanna do reverse lighting schedule) also its thin (keeping tank against wall)

I see I can get for around $25ish submersible lights which would work nice, and price is good, and appearantly works well, but read from google research it can come with issues like shorting out, and leaching copper (i suppose from corrosion, or maybe cracking?) also heat issues that im not really worried about.

BUT i got an idea. I saw for $5 (shipping included) a string of led lights from hong kong, here is the details:

This product is design for your aquarium. light makes a wonderful environment for your pet fish.
- Super Bright 24 LED Lights and waterproof.
- LED Bulbs, saving power.
- Easy to install, cleaning conveniently.
- Make from high quality plastic, flexible and durable.
- Color: White
- INPUT: AC 100-240V 50 / 60Hz
- OUTPUT: DC 12V
- LED Light Length: 23.5cm approx.
- Wire Length: 3m approx

i could 1, just throw it in the chaeto area (or would i run same copper risk?)

or 2, wind it into a circle, use a zip tie or 2 to keep it flat, and just tape it, with like electrical tape to the back window. (wouldnt see it up against wall.)

will this work? will it be wrong light? too much? too little? fire hazard? I obviously dont want the cheato to die, but would like some chaeto growth as well, instead of just keeping it alive. looking forward to hearing ur concerns, advice, suggestions. so far my options are $70 fancy awesome light, with no concerns. $25 light with copper scare concerns, or $5 light with an i have no clue if it will work issue http://saskreef.ca/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

thanks!