PDA

View Full Version : LF : Lifereef overflow box

Casey8
12-21-2011, 03:44 AM
I don't think this overflow box is still in existince in any reef tank anymore, but I am hoping if someone has an old one in your garage/storage could sell it to me. I am looking for 600 to 1200 GPH.

rayyue
12-21-2011, 08:51 AM
i got a CPR C-Siphon Aquarium Overflow - CS102 Deluxe (1200GPH)
do you interest it? asking for $50 obo

lockrookie
12-21-2011, 09:12 AM
http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html

i currently use one.....come summertime it willbe for sale after my upgrade

gobytron
12-21-2011, 01:47 PM
JL just got some good looking utube based overflows in...
They appear to be based on the lifereef design.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/aq-aqso01/Aqueon+Hang-On+Overflow+Box+Kit+%28Model+110%29.html

Reef Pilot
12-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Foolproof overflow. Will not lose siphon due to micro bubbles, and will auto start even after power outage. Airline tubing is connected to return pump input. And totally quiet.

I was using an undrilled tank as a refugium for a while, and made this out of 1 1/4 inch PVC. Worked great.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/507/medium/002.JPG

gobytron
12-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Any utube based overflow, IME is foolproof.
Microbubbles should never be an issue if set up properly relative to your flow.

Thats a very interesting design there and one I havent seen before...
Very cool, thanks for sharing, I think I'll try one of those soon.

for 65-70 bucks though, hard to go wrong with the Aqueon at JL.

ALang
12-21-2011, 03:07 PM
I still run one.
Can't afford a new build, so re-used ol'cichlid tank as reef.

Casey8
12-21-2011, 04:43 PM
I had tried CPR before and I got a flood about 5 gallons of water on the floor because the stupid pump stopped running. Thank God, nothing serious damaged. Since then I am using a Lifereef overflow box until now. It is a very reliable one, never failed as they say. I was ordered a 300GPH overflow box from Lifereef, I didn't realize it was way too small for my tank. I need a bigger one, but I don't want to order a new one again because its expensive plus the shipping, it is a little bit over priced for me. I am hoping I can find a used one, because as I can see people today is having a RR tank instead of using an overflow box. When I bought the tank it was not drilled - my stupidity - I have no choice but to use an overflow box for now until I change to a new tank in the future if I need to move again.

Casey8
12-21-2011, 04:50 PM
JL just got some good looking utube based overflows in...
They appear to be based on the lifereef design.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/aq-aqso01/Aqueon+Hang-On+Overflow+Box+Kit+%28Model+110%29.html

It is so new, I am afraid to use something new without any reviews and flood my floor again :biggrin:

Jakegr
12-22-2011, 01:39 AM
I use a Life Reef overflow. It will be for sale in May/June. Probably too long of a wait, but worth a try.

Eshopps makes good quality inexpensive overflows. The build quality is obviously less than the Life Reef, but they are half of the price (my Life Reef was like $150 shipped to Vancouver). I have used both the Eshopps and Life Reef and honestly the only difference is the thickness of the acrylic.

A quick look at the Aqueon overflows look like they are the same design, but I've never used one before.

I don't recommend any non u-tube overflows. Stay away from the CPR c-siphon.

Edit: just noticed above you have had an experience with the CPR overflow! What a terrible product. JL should stop carrying them.

Casey8
12-22-2011, 01:55 AM
I use a Life Reef overflow. It will be for sale in May/June. Probably too long of a wait, but worth a try.

Eshopps makes good quality inexpensive overflows. The build quality is obviously less than the Life Reef, but they are half of the price (my Life Reef was like $150 shipped to Vancouver). I have used both the Eshopps and Life Reef and honestly the only difference is the thickness of the acrylic.

A quick look at the Aqueon overflows look like they are the same design, but I've never used one before.

I don't recommend any non u-tube overflows. Stay away from the CPR c-siphon.

Edit: just noticed above you have had an experience with the CPR overflow! What a terrible product. JL should stop carrying them.

I have read some of the reviews from another site, some people actually got flood from Eshopps, but I have never found one review which says any negative words about Lifereef. You are right, J&L shouldn't carry that CPR, it will destroy their reputation if someone gets flood/damage their house with that product for buying from them.

Jakegr
12-22-2011, 02:13 AM
I have read some of the reviews from another site, some people actually got flood from Eshopps, but I have never found one review which says any negative words about Lifereef. You are right, J&L shouldn't carry that CPR, it will destroy their reputation if someone gets flood/damage their house with that product for buying from them.

I have owned both Life Reef and Eshopps, they are almost exactly the same in design. I know Life Reef advertises that they are flood proof ("not one failure in 23 years") but they aren't. It is all about the flow rate... if the flow rate between the sump and display is too low, it doesn't matter which overflow brand you use. Air bubbles will get trapped and eventually the siphon will break.

I think the reason there are fewer bad reviews about Life Reef is because Jeff (the owner) always makes sure his clients use an appropriately sized pump to ensure air bubbles never get stuck in the u-tube.

I like my Life Reef overflow a lot, but my advice is to save the extra $80 and purchase an Eshopps. I wish Jeff would remove the "thousands sold, not one flood or failure" comment from his web site. IMO it is blatant false advertising. You can find accounts of floods with Life Reef overflows online easily.

Anyways, the bottom line is that u-tube overflow failures are not due to design flaws, they are the result of user error.

Casey8
12-22-2011, 02:36 AM
If I can not find it, will you be selling yours to me ? I have no choice but wait. How many GPH do you have on the Lifereef box ?

Reef Pilot
12-22-2011, 04:07 AM
Thats a very interesting design there and one I havent seen before...
Very cool, thanks for sharing, I think I'll try one of those soon.

The only scenario that I could figure might cause a flood is if the overflow pipe slits become clogged. But you can add a 90 degree elbow to the end of the overflow pipe instead of a cap, and cut the open end to be just a little higher than the overflow pipe with the slits. That then serves as your emergency overflow.

I should also mention that you can handle more flow if you lower the T at the back. I needed it high on mine to drain into my sump. And I used an airline valve in the tubing to regulate the water/air flow to the return pump, or close it if I wanted to for any reason.

I don't know why people fool with these overflow boxes and U tubes. Definitely asking for a flood, sooner or later.... This PVC pipe design is a lot safer, and cheap, too.

Casey8
12-22-2011, 04:24 AM
Foolproof overflow. Will not lose siphon due to micro bubbles, and will auto start even after power outage. Airline tubing is connected to return pump input. And totally quiet.

I was using an undrilled tank as a refugium for a while, and made this out of 1 1/4 inch PVC. Worked great.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/507/medium/002.JPG

Did you copy it from somebody or it was your own design ? When I look at the picture, I am not really 100% sure how it works but it looks like a very talented idea.

Jakegr
12-22-2011, 05:13 AM
If I can not find it, will you be selling yours to me ? I have no choice but wait. How many GPH do you have on the Lifereef box ?

I have the 600 gph version.

I'll post it for sale in May/June. I'll send you a PM.

RuGlu6
12-22-2011, 05:24 AM
I think the reason there are fewer bad reviews about Life Reef is because Jeff (the owner) always makes sure his clients use an appropriately sized pump to ensure air bubbles never get stuck in the u-tube.

FYI Jeff is not the owner of J&L

msjboy
12-22-2011, 06:28 AM
The mame over flow (google mame overflow) is quite nicethough very pricey and some one canreef did one out of plastic tube bendings... Can also be made of pvc pipe.

Msjboy

Jakegr
12-22-2011, 07:28 AM
FYI Jeff is not the owner of J&L

I was talking about the owner of Life Reef. His name also happens to be Jeff.

Reef Pilot
12-22-2011, 01:42 PM
No, can't claim it all as my idea (I am not that smart, LOL)... I adapted my design from some others I have seen on the internet.
http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-overflow/120.asp
http://i868.photobucket.com/albums/ab249/livebait68/DIYOverflowassembly.jpg

The key is the airline tubing to connect to the low pressure side of a pump. That removes the biggest risk, which is losing siphon. The idea of using the elbow at the end of the intake overflow tube as a secondary emergency overflow is mine, or at least have not seen that anywhere else.

Did you copy it from somebody or it was your own design ? When I look at the picture, I am not really 100% sure how it works but it looks like a very talented idea.

gobytron
12-22-2011, 03:08 PM
It is so new, I am afraid to use something new without any reviews and flood my floor again :biggrin:

Its not new.
This is the exact same design as Lifereef.
It's the same design all utube based overflows have.

Lifereef is small and they need to charge more for their product.
It may be superior in build quality and reputation, but the results will be the same.

FYI, if it will fit, you could always try adding one moe utube to your current overflow.

Casey8
12-22-2011, 04:23 PM
If I ever get flood again with this Aqueon, can I blame you for that ? :wink:

Casey8
12-22-2011, 04:25 PM
I have the 600 gph version.

I'll post it for sale in May/June. I'll send you a PM.

Thanks Jakegr, if I don't get it before you put up for sale, I will buy it from you. 600 GPH is a perfect match for my Eheim pump.

gobytron
12-22-2011, 04:27 PM
depends on if you set it up right.
Honestly, you wont have any issues if you set it up right.

I would never run an overflow with just one utube or just one drain unless I was very sure I had blocked access to any inverts...like snails or crabs.

I diy'd my current overflow based on lifereef design to add a couple tweaks just for peace of mind.

You can blame me if you like, but the whole point Im trying to make here is that if it does fail (which they can) its because you didnt set it up right.

Casey8
12-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks Gobytron, I doubt very much if you are a good saleman representative for Aqueon :mrgreen: You are convincing me more than half way there. I will talk to Jeff at J&L and will see if its copying the design from Lifereef and look at the quality.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone.

gobytron
12-22-2011, 06:22 PM
I go for honesty.
unless there is comission involved.

RuGlu6
12-23-2011, 07:36 AM
Thanks Gobytron, I doubt very much if you are a good saleman representative for Aqueon :mrgreen: You are convincing me more than half way there. I will talk to Jeff at J&L and will see if its copying the design from Lifereef and look at the quality.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone.

I looked at J&L's over flow version today and it is a lot like Lifereef.