PDA

View Full Version : Coralife Wavemakers

Reef Pilot
12-18-2011, 04:12 PM
I know Vortech and Tunze are the big names in this space. But haven't heard much about the Coralife Wavemakers. I think they are still pretty new, but certainly a lot cheaper. The big question is whether they are any good, and you just get what you pay for.

Any experience or knowledge about these?
http://coralifeproducts.com/product/water-pumps-and-powerheads/

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/08/01/coralife-dc-wavemaker-pumps/

Avrbuster
12-18-2011, 06:39 PM
I'll be tagging along to see what others think as well.

I was thinking of buying them as I need to replace some pumps soon, and 2 or 3 Koralia would come close to the price of these (+ or - 200, LOL)
The problem that I have with them is they look ugly and cheap. So I wonder if they are any good.

Dr_Hicks
12-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Pricing is decent; however I would be afraid to run these for fear of the suction cup letting go and the pump falling down into the sand bed and causing a storm.

A few more $$ and Coralife should have used magnets for the mounting system.

Nate
12-18-2011, 11:36 PM
May not have been dollars that was the problem, perhaps copyright issues?

Reef Pilot
12-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Yeah, according to this review, it is a patent issue, plus a few other limitations.
http://www.livingreefs.com/coralife-dc-2600-wavemaker-t36090.html

Here are the instructions. It also says they give you a lifetime warranty, and assume that covers the suction cup.
http://www.coralifeproducts.com/Files/Product/wavemaker-instructions.pdf

My concern is that the suction cup material may become brittle over time, and if/when it lets go, would not be a pretty sight in your tank with a 2900 gph flow pump dangling on a cord.

Avrbuster
12-19-2011, 03:58 PM
After seeing that they have used audio jacks for power connectors, I'm afraid!

I know it can be done, but that has to be one of the worst design Idea's I've seen. You can get Molex two pin connectors or something very similar that would work far better.

But what would I know?:lol:

Reef Pilot
01-27-2012, 03:09 PM
I bought the 5800 gph (2 X 2900 pumps) on Boxing Day, and just recently got around to installing them in my 100g display tank. I had the Hydor Koralia Evolution pumps in there before, and the new Coralife pumps definitely have a way more flow.

I am just trying out the different modes, and doing the Turbulence mode now, where I have each pump set at a different timing to get more random flow action. Definitely stirs things up in my tank, and my fish and corals will have to get used to the new flow patterns. I like the Feed mode (just touch a button), where it slow them down to minimum flow, and they go back to their current program automatically after a time period. Keeps my floating dry food from ending up in the overflow.

But what is really interesting is that these Coralife pumps fit the old Hydor Koralia magnet attachments exactly and I don't have to use the suction cups. So that concern is now gone. I can use the suction pumps for the lower flow Koralias. However, I am looking to see if I can get a hold of a couple more Koralia magnets, so if anyone has one they want to part out, please let me know.

I am sure these don't compare to the Vortechs, but the price is certainly a lot better. And so far, am very pleased with how they work. Lots of flow mode options, speeds, and timings, so will be trying them out.

reefgirl189
01-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Pricing is decent; however I would be afraid to run these for fear of the suction cup letting go and the pump falling down into the sand bed and causing a storm.

A few more $$ and Coralife should have used magnets for the mounting system.

I couldn't agree more. IME the suction cup WILL let go. It's just a matter of time.

To the OP, have you looked at the koralias? They are a cheaper alternative to vortech and tunze and they are not half bad. I'm sure most of the vendors on this site could order you in whichever model you'd like.

Reef Pilot
01-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Like I said, I am using the Hydor Koralia magnets with my Coralife pumps, so the suction cup concern is gone.

And I did check out the Hydor Koralia Wavemakers,... way more expensive with their controller and pumps. These new Coralife Wavemakers are nice and compact, with a nice integrated controller package.

Lampshade
01-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Thank you for the review, I was on the edge about these too. Might just have to go for it, seems like what I need, and less than half the cost of a MP40 is nice. Seems like i won't be trying to DIY a DC pump, these should work. Lifetime warranty, can't go wrong, right? According to this they seem to put out about the same water volume and flow pattern as a tunze 6105: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/7/aafeature
They are slightly more directional, and have a lot more velocity in the centre than the MP40's. But seem to be nice. And apparently they're quiet, which is one thing the MP40's can have issues with.

I bought the 5800 gph (2 X 2900 pumps) on Boxing Day, and just recently got around to installing them in my 100g display tank. I had the Hydor Koralia Evolution pumps in there before, and the new Coralife pumps definitely have a way more flow.

I am just trying out the different modes, and doing the Turbulence mode now, where I have each pump set at a different timing to get more random flow action. Definitely stirs things up in my tank, and my fish and corals will have to get used to the new flow patterns. I like the Feed mode (just touch a button), where it slow them down to minimum flow, and they go back to their current program automatically after a time period. Keeps my floating dry food from ending up in the overflow.

But what is really interesting is that these Coralife pumps fit the old Hydor Koralia magnet attachments exactly and I don't have to use the suction cups. So that concern is now gone. I can use the suction pumps for the lower flow Koralias. However, I am looking to see if I can get a hold of a couple more Koralia magnets, so if anyone has one they want to part out, please let me know.

I am sure these don't compare to the Vortechs, but the price is certainly a lot better. And so far, am very pleased with how they work. Lots of flow mode options, speeds, and timings, so will be trying them out.

Reef Pilot
01-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Also, the Coralife pumps are twice the flow of the Koralia controllable pumps. The Hydor Wavemaker controller alone costs as much as I paid for the entire Coralife Wavemaker (5800 model) system. It even includes a light sensor for a night mode. Definitely a lot more flow and way less money.

whatcaneyedo
01-27-2012, 04:23 PM
I've already tossed every coralife product that I've owned in the trash. Which was two pairs of gloves, two PC fixtures and one timer power bar. If saving money is your top priority my suggestion is keep a keen eye on the used section.

Reef Pilot
01-27-2012, 05:02 PM
You might be right. I guess time will tell.

However, have also followed all the reports about the wet side and noise problems with the Vortechs, and would have expected better given the cost of these.

And Coralife does give a life time warranty with this wavemaker, so will just have to see.

The biggest weak spot with the Coralife pumps were the suction pumps. But by using the Koralia ones, I have bypassed that. I have also just found a source to buy the Koralia magnet sets for just 13 bucks each, so that is a pretty small extra cost to use magnets instead of the suction cups.

mike31154
01-28-2012, 05:04 AM
Sweet deal right here, in your neck of the woods too.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=82508

Reef Pilot
01-28-2012, 02:45 PM
I looked pretty hard at the Vortech pumps before choosing the Coralife Wavemaker. Besides the price, I didn't really like how the dry side sits outside the glass and you have visible wires. My tank is completely built in and all the wires and stuff are inside hidden from view.

The tank is actually situated in our kitchen with a corridor on each side, one to a hallway, and the other into the dining room. I can see how a shoulder or arm going by could inadvertently whack a Vortech, especially when you have kids running around.

Lampshade
02-01-2012, 04:09 PM
I just bought the coralife DC 5800 pack from a US site. Worked out to be $278 shipped to my door. I love local shops, and spend lots of money there... but seriously, the best price I found here was $370, that's 30% higher :(. This puts these 2 pumps at half the cost of one MP40. Hope they work out well :D.

Reef Pilot
02-01-2012, 04:50 PM
The only thing I don't like with mine is the suction cups. I replaced them with the Hydor Koralia Evolution magnet sets (can be bought online for about 13 bucks). They fit perfectly, and don't have to worry now about them falling off in the tank.

Otherwise very happy with mine. The feed and night time features are great. The lower flow at night gives my fish and corals a nice rest.

I use the Turbulence mode with one pump set at 10 seconds and the other at 20 seconds. It really stirs up the flow action in the tank.

Lampshade
02-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Got mine today, so far so good. Definitely crappy suction cups, I swapped my existing koralia powerheads onto them, then used the koralia magnets for the new coralife powerheads. The koralia's have already fallen off twice because i did a terrible job scrapping algae before i tried to suction them.

One thing I must say, is they are VERY quiet, I have mine ramping pretty aggressive right now while I play around with them and I can't hear if they're on or off. They also move lots of water, I have mine blasting against each other in the front of my tank, and every part of my tank has movement from them.

So far I'm impressed, and lifetime warranty, so much shouldn't change unless I have to use the warranty too often :P

Reef Pilot
02-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Yeah, been running mine for about a month now in my 100g DT. Like you say, lots of flow, almost too much for this size tank. I am using the Turbulence Mode, and it really moves stuff around in my tank. I had to find a new spots for some of my LPS, as it was too much for them. Thank goodness for that Feed button, so my fish don't have to fight the currents and chase the food during feeding. Also, I use the light sensor with it, so gives everything a rest at night with the lower power setting.

I had two Koralia Evolution powerheads and I used their suction magnets right from the start. I then ordered these (which I just picked up in Blaine) and will be using them for the old Koralia's.
http://aquaticpumpparts.com/product.sc?productId=6&categoryId=4

Anyone getting these Coralife Wavemakers should replace the suction cups with magnets right away.

Lampshade
02-14-2012, 07:40 PM
My only other issue would be the cord length, on my 6' tank i can only mount the control box in the center, or move both powerheads to one side of the tank. I'm looking at getting some extensions that should fix that.

Reef Pilot
02-14-2012, 08:16 PM
My only other issue would be the cord length, on my 6' tank i can only mount the control box in the center, or move both powerheads to one side of the tank. I'm looking at getting some extensions that should fix that.
Yes, same here, had to mount it in the centre of my tank also. Anything longer than 6' would be a problem. Let us know what you use for extensions. They look like "stereo" chords as someone had mentioned.

Reef Pilot
02-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Well, just had my first hiccup with my new Coralife Wavemaker DC5800. One of the pumps just suddenly stopped working. At least the controller handled it well, by shutting down with a flashing red light. Then just by unplugging one pump at a time, I quickly isolated which pump wasn't working. But there was no prior warning, like noise or vibrating, just a sudden stop and shut down.

I took the pump out, pulled out the impeller assembly, and had a good look. Couldn't see anything wrong. I then cleaned it, and put it back together. Everything seemed to fit tight, and no sign of any wear. I plugged it back in and it worked again, just fine, as before, and no noise.

So not sure what was wrong with it. The only theory I have is that maybe the shaft worked its way out of one of the rubber ends, and just jammed then and stopped. I have it on the Turbulence Mode, and this pump was set for 10 seconds. Maybe that is too hard on it with the constant ramping up and down, and may have caused the shaft to shift to one end. Just my theory...

I will continue to keep an eye on it, to see if it happens again. Coralife gives a lifetime warranty, so if anything is wrong, I would expect a replacement of the defective part.

If anyone else has had any problems with these, would like to hear about it. I know they are still fairly new. But I know there are some out there, judging from the back order statuses of the retailers that sell them.

ryanb69
03-31-2012, 11:49 PM
They are cheap for a reason, that brand is just plain unreliable

Reef Pilot
04-01-2012, 12:40 AM
They are cheap for a reason, that brand is just plain unreliable
Well, after the one hiccup I described in a previous post, my Coralife DC5800 Wavemaker has worked flawlessly. I am well aware of the reputation of Coralife with some of its products. But this one comes with a lifetime warranty. Maybe they are trying to change their rep.

When I read about all the problems and noise with the Vortechs, I sure wouldn't call them reliable. So high price doesn't necessarily guarantee reliability.

So far, I have to say I am more than happy with this purchase. But time will tell, for sure.

plack
08-01-2012, 02:27 AM
So Now that you have had them for several months is everything still good ??
:-)
Paul

Reef Pilot
08-01-2012, 02:37 AM
So Now that you have had them for several months is everything still good ??
:-)
Paul
Yes, still working great. Am now thinking of getting another one for my other display tank that I recently set up. I just have a couple Koralias in it now, and could use more flow.