PDA

View Full Version : Running an UV in a reef tank good or bad ?

Casey8
12-16-2011, 02:15 AM
As I have an UV Sterilizer that I can not sell it, I am thinking of using it permanently in my tank. I just want to know is it a good idea to do so in your reef tank for a long term ?

Delphinus
12-16-2011, 02:55 AM
I would say it's neither bad nor needed, it's more of a choice. One potential benefit is a water clarifier, the UV will break down yellowing compounds (much like ozone will as well) and you'll get a "cleaner looking" water than just carbon alone.

If it's big enough you can use it as an antipathogenic agent, but you need a lot of wattage to for it to be effective this way.

Pitfalls - some people think that it is detrimental to plankton and I'm sure it is for those unlucky enough to get sucked into it but that's not going to be the majority. Also the lamp degrades just the same as a T5 or a halide or whatever and needs to be replaced every few thousand hours just the same, which can be an added expense.

I ran a 55w UV on my old tank, and although it could be coincidence, I did have a fish with ich overcome his ich after the UV was put on. I don't run it anymore but I've kept it in case I ever need to run a QT or hospital tank where it could be of benefit.

HTH

Wayne
12-16-2011, 03:09 AM
I like the idea of them in small quantities. Any time I clean the algea off the glass its nice to run it for a few hours afterwards to kill any free floating algea and keep it from landing elseware.

Casey8
12-16-2011, 03:43 AM
Thanks Tony and Wayne for your inputs. I think I am going to set it up for my tank, I am not worried about plankton just like Tony said. I have another question, I have seen the Coralife UV bulb for sale on ebay about 15 to 20 dollars while J&L is selling it for 55. Is it another cheap quality ebay bulbs like we purchased for our MH bulbs ? Or is it the same quality ?

fishytime
12-16-2011, 04:09 AM
My answer to your question is yes........UV is both good and bad........depending on what side of the fence your sitting on.....just keep this in mind there has been speculation that the smaller wattage UVs that we typically run are useless......you need to run a large one......