PDA

View Full Version : New addition/yellow polyps

Dorkel Marine 1
07-01-2002, 02:27 PM
Good day fellow reefers. Well I purchased my first soft coral yesterday. I feel like a mother with her first child. Quite nervous. They haven't come out yet;but I realize they will wait awhile. I've been trying to find more info on the care of corals and can't find any. So if anyone can advise that would be good. Or any info on how long they take to get happy, what to feed. Though I believe from previous readings that they don't require feeding. Oh I purchased a small rock with yellow polyps on it. They looked very healthy. I took the whole day to climatize them to the tank.What kind of water movement do they like. Thanks in advance. I'll keep looking for coral info. I remember reading a good forum once on the recomendation of one of you guys.
Happy reefin. George.
ps. Now before anyone says you should do your homework first then buy, I did. It was recommended for my tank and lighting to go soft corals. Mushrooms,Xenia, leathers and polyps and so on.

[ 01 July 2002, 10:32: Message edited by: George Muller ]

Doug
07-01-2002, 03:16 PM
George, I have found for the best growth, feeding them helps. I feed a mulch of several foods combined together.

They seem to do well in any kind of lighting, from 400 watt halides to almost no light under ledges. This is why I think feeding is important. Of course if you feed the tanks lots, they can find it. I just liked good growth, as they always bring top dollar at the lfs.

Be careful where the are placed. I keep mine separate from the main reef body. They can become a plague.

Dorkel Marine 1
07-02-2002, 04:45 AM
Thanks Doug. I'll sit tight and just let them get used to my water conditions. I feed the clown and blenny good mixture of frozen foods and add some filter feeder food occasionally for the feather duster. I'm hoppin that will suffice. I'll feel a whole lot better when they pop up. How's the new custom protein skimmer makin out Doug. I got a real kick out of the thread between you and DJ88.

Happy reefin George.

ps. I was going to give some good clever remarks to MAK buddy but the comments are gone. Did someone take it off. I was not offended.

Doug
07-02-2002, 11:15 AM
Hi George.
That may suffice. Watch how they grow. Should have nice, deep yellow colour and good thick stalks. If skinny & scawny looking, then they need more food.

Will have an update on the skimmer soon. smile.gif