PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Clown Goby, not so safe?

born
12-15-2011, 06:32 PM
I have a yellow clown goby in my 125G, hes awesome, great personality.
He always hangs around on one of my islands that has a colony of pocci on it.
I noticed that the pocci is starting to die on certain parts of it.

Whenever I take sps out of the water for transferring or whatever, once they get that slime on them, my clown goby goes right beside that colony and I've even seen him kinda pick at it and bite the SPS.

So since my clown goby hangs by that colony all day and ive seen this little guy go for my sps before. Are these clown gobys actually reef safe?

Liveaquaria says so but I also read the reviews and a guy claims he's had these clown goby sps eating issues as well.

Chowder
12-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Yellow clown gobies do like to hang out on SPS. They do like hang in the branches and end up taking the skin and polyps off the branches where they perch. If you get a breading pair they will lay the eggs under the branch and purch over them to protect them.

Chris

Chowder
12-15-2011, 06:48 PM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/Gobies/YellowClown.php

Proteus
12-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Buy any chance is the gobie after the feather dusters that occupy the Pocci. I ask because my blenny does exactly that

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-15-2011, 07:01 PM
In the past, I've received clown gobies from friends after they started nibbling on sps polyps.

born
12-15-2011, 07:06 PM
My clown goby leaves my feather dusters alone.

In the past, I've received clown gobies from friends after they started nibbling on sps polyps.

ya like ive seen him go after the slime before. But this colony was doing awesome when I took it from its original mother colony, then after a while ive seen it die more and more. Its not RTN or STN cause i've experienced that with some other frags and i dont see tissue falling off.

Think I should try catching him asap?