PDA

View Full Version : LF O-Ring for RedSea 250 x -calgary

RipCurl
12-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Hi

I am looking for missing orings for my protein skimmer.

Red Sea customer service is the pitts.

Would anyone know where to purchase this item other than Home Depot? Is there a distributor in the Calgary area?

Delphinus
12-15-2011, 02:19 PM
A trick that skimmer and reactor DIY'ers would do when they needed a custom Oring size that wasn't readily available is to take one larger than you need, and cut it down to the size you need. You reconnect the cut ends back together with superglue. I've had to do this on a couple unions. It works surprisingly well.

Rona used to have a pretty good selection of O rings as well.

Western Pump might be another place worthy of checking out. They are down by Princess Auto in the south.

Back in the day there was actually an industrial supplier of O-rings over in the Foothills industrial area however I think they got bought out by someone else whose name I now can't remember. I'll see if I can figure it out, if I do I'll post back.

Delphinus
12-15-2011, 02:26 PM
It kind of looks like Able O-Rings just closed outright. Seems they still exist but only in Toronto.

Check Western Pump and Rona, mmmmmmaybe Plumbateria (I think that would be a bit of a long shot though), otherwise, my advice is just make your own.

RipCurl
12-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks Tony. Much appreciated advice.

BlueTang<3
12-15-2011, 02:36 PM
A trick that skimmer and reactor DIY'ers would do when they needed a custom Oring size that wasn't readily available is to take one larger than you need, and cut it down to the size you need. You reconnect the cut ends back together with superglue. I've had to do this on a couple unions. It works surprisingly well.

Rona used to have a pretty good selection of O rings as well.

Western Pump might be another place worthy of checking out. They are down by Princess Auto in the south.

Back in the day there was actually an industrial supplier of O-rings over in the Foothills industrial area however I think they got bought out by someone else whose name I now can't remember. I'll see if I can figure it out, if I do I'll post back.

Not intending to hyjack but we also do this at work if you cant find a seal we need or if we reseal a housing without taking it right apart we will cut the seal and put it around a shaft and glue together. Works very well

lee9
12-15-2011, 04:05 PM
I might be able to help you out. I am setting up a RSM 250 and will probably not be using the stock protein skimmer because the pump is gone and I don't want to purchase a new pump for it.

I'm not sure of the condition of the o-rings I have on mine but I can check this evening when I get home from work. If they are in good shape you can have them if you want.

I'll let you know tonight.

RipCurl
12-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Thanks Lee9 and thanks to everyone else for your insighful suggestions.

Much appreciated.

lee9
12-16-2011, 01:10 AM
RipCurl I bought my RSM 250 used so I'm not sure how tight the connections are supposed to fit. It's about a year old.

If you want my cup and adjuster O-rings to try you can have them. Just let me know.

RipCurl
12-16-2011, 01:19 AM
Awesome! Thanks. It will due in the meantime.
I can pick it up anytime except this evening. Let me know when a good day/time would be. PM your info when you have time.
Much appreciated.