PDA

View Full Version : Refugium questions

reefgirl189
12-15-2011, 04:11 AM
Could I put a refugium into the final chamber (return chamber) of my sump? The return pump would be in there with the macroalgea, would this cause problems? Or would it be a better idea to make a hang on style one and place it over the return chamber? It would be easier for me (and by me I mean my wallet) to avoid the hang on style one.

Also is a 6500K bulb sufficient enough for this setup and how many hours of the day do you leave your light on in your refugium?

Thanks!

Trigger Man
12-15-2011, 04:17 AM
6500k would be sufficent, and the reverse cycle of your display lighting (so night time I would assume for your refugium) seems to work well

mark
12-15-2011, 06:20 AM
problem with same chamber as pump is could clog your intake so often see sump divided in 3 sections (skimmer/fuge/return). I've got a seperate dedicated fuge now but starting growing chaeto just between my sump baffles (they were though about 4" apart).

for light I'm just using a 6500K spiral CF lit 24/7

reefgirl189
12-15-2011, 10:09 PM
problem with same chamber as pump is could clog your intake so often see sump divided in 3 sections (skimmer/fuge/return).

Good point.

I think it's time for me to try a bit of DIY and see if I can make a bigger 4 chamber sump.