PDA

View Full Version : Red hair algae and red branch like algae

Coralgurl
12-15-2011, 03:26 AM
As title says, I've got red hair algae and red branch like algae growing on my older lr. My sand is clean, it's not cyano. It's not everywhere but it is getting long. I've tried looking on the web but not finding anything. Can post pics later, but any ideas and is it a problem? My blenny, snails and crabs don't touch it. Thanks.

BlueWorldAquatic
12-15-2011, 04:03 AM
Look up "red turf algae"

hillegom
12-15-2011, 04:03 AM
Here are two links you can use to hopefully find your algae

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/

http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=81

Coralgurl
12-15-2011, 04:30 AM
Thank you, red turf algae it is. I have a couple large turbo snails, they don't touch it. Would either an emerald crab or sea hare work? I know sea hares can starve once the algae is gone, is there alot of demand for them?

MMAX
12-15-2011, 01:03 PM
It's hard to find an animal that will eat the red stuff. Instead of looking for a remedy, try finding the root of the problem. I had a problem with the stuff in the summer but I knew exactly where it was coming from. By changing out my RO/DI filters and all 8 of my T5 bulbs it eventually cleared up. While you're looking for the cause of it, siphon or pick as much as you can out to keep on top of it. A turkey baster works well.

Myka
12-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Urchins are probably the best algae eaters you can get, but they are hit or miss when it comes to red turf algae. The Long Spine urchins are the best algae eaters, but they require VERY large aquaria as they get VERY large. Tuxedo urchins stay nice and small and eat lots of different algae as well. Be aware that urchins also eat coralline algae, so if you like your tank to be all pretty and pink the urchin will eat it all. Tuxedos should be in at least 50 gallon tank or they will not have enough food long-term.

Having said that, all common algae issues in reef aquaria are caused by excess nutrients. More nutrients going in than coming out. So figure out how to lower nutrients; feed less (most people over-feed), employ a better skimmer, siphon detritus while doing water changes, add a powerhead to help keep detritus from settling on the sand, clean your pumps so they flow better again, add a phosphate reactor, add a chaeto filter, check your RO/DI to make sure it is operating at 0 tds, etc. Also, if you have any lower Kelvin bulbs on your tank (10,000K or less) try switching them for higher Kelvin as algae likes the low Kelvin. As bulbs age they also shift in color, so old bulbs will promote algae as well.

Coralgurl
12-15-2011, 01:33 PM
The algae started showing up when my tank was fallow. I would feed the shrimp bits of silverside as well as the corals. Fish have gone back in over the last 6+ weeks and are fed once per day, only as much as they will eat. I have a tunze 9012 skimmer, hob fuge with cheato, canister filter that is cleaned thoroughly monthly. For power heads I have an mp10, mp40 and a koralia 750, tank is 55 gl with 65 lbs lr. Lots of snails including sand sifters, and hermits. My last tests showed my alk was low (6). I don't have any other algae issues, I think the branching stuff came in in a coral frag. Any other suggestions, Im not sure if it's over feeding as I'm careful. What else should I be looking for?

NU-2reef
12-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Red turf is nasty stuff. My tuxedo urchin does eat it but the little guy jus can't get into crevices and sometimes carries some on it's back which sucks cuz Im pretty sure he helps it spread.

You're best bet is to remove manually. Try the boiling water in a syringe method and blast em. Do small amounts at a time and just keep at it till it's gone. But most importantly tackle the nitrate and phospahtes as best you can.

Another somewhat natural method would be to take a ball of chaeto and spread it out like a blanket over top of the nuisance algae and starve out the turf algae by making it compete with chaeto.

Last option is to take the infected rock and nuke it.

Coralgurl
12-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Some pictures...there seems like 4 different types here - green, red, wiry, and branch. Also, in the last photo, theres something with green tipped tentacles. I've been watching this for a while, seems there are about 4 heads, they retract when touched, but not into rock, just into a polyp.

Based on NU-2reef, best option is to blast with boiling water? There's another active thread on this method so I will read up on it.

I forgot to mention, I have 2 54w T5H0 fixture, I changed the white bulb last month, was told the blue was fine for another few months. (supplement lighting with LEDs)

Thank you for the help.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0346.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0348.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa476/coralgurl143/DSC_0355.jpg

NU-2reef
12-15-2011, 07:42 PM
The algae started showing up when my tank was fallow. I would feed the shrimp bits of silverside as well as the corals. Fish have gone back in over the last 6+ weeks and are fed once per day, only as much as they will eat. I have a tunze 9012 skimmer, hob fuge with cheato, canister filter that is cleaned thoroughly monthly. For power heads I have an mp10, mp40 and a koralia 750, tank is 55 gl with 65 lbs lr. Lots of snails including sand sifters, and hermits. My last tests showed my alk was low (6). I don't have any other algae issues, I think the branching stuff came in in a coral frag. Any other suggestions, Im not sure if it's over feeding as I'm careful. What else should I be looking for?

Whats in the canister filter? What media are you running? And when was the last replacement of media?

Maybe cut back on feeding to everyother day and make sure you rinse all frozen foods as they are loaded with phosphates

Coralgurl
12-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Its a fluval 305 (I think). Running carbon, phosphate something (brownish red stuff in a media bag) - just started with this in the last cleaning, ammonia and bio filters (2 different types), I'm at work and dont remember offhand. I've been running phosphate stuff in the canister for about 3 months now, the stuff I'm using now is the first time with it. Last cleaning was 2 1/2 weeks ago, cleaned 2 of the pads, replaced 2. I clean every 4 weeks, replace media every cleaning.

A few months ago I realized I was not properly dealing with the canister, but with the changes I made, the tank has cleaned up substantially, except the red stuff seems to have really taken off.

I do rinse all my foods, mix up every couple of days, add selcon and garlic to food, keep refrigerated. Approx once per week I will feed the shrimp, but now that there are fish in the tank again, this doesn't seem required as they are catching food.

I will try to reduce feedings to once every other day...fish are not going to like me....

asylumdown
12-16-2011, 02:55 AM
I had all of the above kinds of algae. The only thing that ate the stuff in the top picture was a shoal tang (definitely not suggesting you should get one of those!), nothing ate the stuff in the bottom pictures. Once the shoal was gone, I basically had to physically remove it until I got rid of the tank.

Wayne
12-16-2011, 03:02 AM
Last cleaning was 2 1/2 weeks ago, cleaned 2 of the pads, replaced 2. I clean every 4 weeks, replace media every cleaning

You should try to clean the foam pads at least weekly. Other wise the trapped debis can start producing nitrates and it decays.

Oh yeah and thats actually nicer looking algea. So things could be worse :)

Coralgurl
12-16-2011, 01:22 PM
You should try to clean the foam pads at least weekly. Other wise the trapped debis can start producing nitrates and it decays.

Will start doing that right away. Didn't realize I should be cleaning the pads more often, thanks!

Oh yeah and thats actually nicer looking algea. So things could be worse :)

Well by the sounds of it, I've got to start getting into the tank! Appreciate all the feedback!

toytech
12-16-2011, 05:01 PM
ive had red turf in my tank for some time now and i have had 2 tubo snails out of 5 go nuts for the stuff , stripp the rock clean of it . I dont know if there different species or just have different tastes . My tuxedo never did a good job with any of my algea .