PDA

View Full Version : Hitch hiker

Nano
12-15-2011, 03:14 AM
Cant get a picture if I tried this little thing is so fast and it moves all around inside my LR, but he stays on the rock with my Zoas. I have only seen it once but my wife just phoned me saying she tried to get pictures, but he is too fast. She says it some what resembles a beetle, dark colored and about the size of a stomatella snail.. I'm not sure if I should be worried? I just noticed it about 2 days ago, and there is no visible damage to anything. Any thoughts? I know its hard to say with out pictures.. sorry guys

Nano
12-15-2011, 03:34 AM
EDIT. He apparently looks like a small "stubby" centipede and is grey according to the Mrs. :shocked!:

BMahura
12-15-2011, 03:44 AM
EDIT. He apparently looks like a small "stubby" centipede and is grey according to the Mrs. :shocked!:
From this description sounds like a bristle worm to me. Shouldn't me worried about them. Try taking a flashlight and night and see if you can see them as their always out at night. They can get quite large over time but they are great for eating extra food and such.

Nano
12-15-2011, 03:59 AM
thats what it sounds like to cause of the "centipede" description she gave me. I only saw like the movement in the LR the other night out of the corner of my eye. Its the fact that it moves so fast that kinda freaks me out, can bristle worm move really quickly?

BMahura
12-15-2011, 04:06 AM
Im not sure about how fast your talking about lol but i have seen some in my tank move pretty swiftly

Nano
12-15-2011, 04:10 AM
Let's say pretty switly as well lol not mach 10 or anything but he's quick

Starry
12-15-2011, 05:51 AM
My vote is for an amphipod. i have grey and brown ones in my tank. they can move like a bullet. make great fish food.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3f/Gammarus_roeselii.jpg/220px-Gammarus_roeselii.jpg

daniella3d
12-15-2011, 05:56 AM
isopod?

http://www.biology.duke.edu/johnsenlab/new%20gallery/isopod.jpg

Or an amphipod:

http://www.ittiofauna.org/webmuseum/invertebrati/anfipodi/images/gammarus-500.jpg

amphipods can eat zoanthids if they are hungry.

Nano
12-15-2011, 06:18 AM
Well I know I have an amphipod in that same area, maybe thats what she saw, cause at first she said it looked like a beetle, so isopod or amphipod in that case most likely. Then she said it looks like a grey centipede lol I dont think she knows what she's talking about half the time ;) but hey do any of us?

I havent seen the critter, but If I do I will try to get a positive ID, thanks guys :)

lastlight
12-15-2011, 07:05 AM
I was thinking isopod too and the description matches the pest version. Hopefully not!

Nano
12-15-2011, 07:22 AM
I was thinking isopod too and the description matches the pest version. Hopefully not!

How can I tell if its the pest type? I was thinking for my last fish I would get a scooter blenny, would he eat them?

Madreefer
12-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Could be a isopod. Google it to get a pic. To get them out put an uncooked shrimp in a small glass overnight. It worked for a buddy of mine. He did that for a few nights in a row and eventually they were all gone.