PDA

View Full Version : Pricing for cichlids

Nano
12-15-2011, 02:15 AM
Hey guys I have a few cichlids In my 100g that are going to be sold in the next few weeks/months when ever I decide I'm 100% ready to part with them. I have 2 Wild caught gibberosa Frontosa that will be 1 year old by the time I'm ready to sell, as well as one cobue afra and one white topped afra, maybe some others but I havent decided.
My question is Obviously pricing, what is fair both for me and the buyer? I know that adult frontosa can go for$100+ in some cases, and afras around $15 so basically again I'm asking what do you think is fair, and if there is any one interested in buying in the future? :)

jtbadco
12-15-2011, 02:46 AM
I think the price will be more determined by how much interest there is in the particular fish you are selling and how good a strain they are.

If they are more common fish, readily available in your area, you won't be able to get as much as you could if they were rare.

If they are really nice wild-caught specimens then you can ask more than for say F1, F2, etc

That being said,...a beautiful fish is a beautiful fish. If you can post up some nice pictures you are much more likely to grab peoples interest.

Nano
12-15-2011, 02:51 AM
thanks! I will be posting pictures once I am ready to sell, maybe before, The 2 Frontosa aren't super easy to come by, big als gets f1 and f2 alot, I was lucky to get some wild caught, they are both beautiful with very elongated fins. I originally paid $20 a piece as they were young, so I would have to recoop that in the sale for sure. The afras, are fairly standard common fish, I would most likely sell them together. The reason I am selling is because my frontosa will soon need their own tank, and I am not in a position to buy a 100 gallon tank for 2 fish lol. I dont know if many people on here keep cichlids, but if they do, I will let them know the frontosa are just old enough now that They are just starting to develope the nuchal hump on their heads! All my fish are ich free and I have never had a cas of any fin rot or any other disease in my tank. So health is a guarantee in this case

Funky_Fish14
12-15-2011, 04:00 AM
*To abbreviate my previous content: The Edmonton market is unfortunately kind of dry for 'FW Hardcore' - But Im sure you can recoup the cost of your fronts!

Kimmi7
12-30-2011, 11:26 PM
if you dont find someone on here try albertaaquatica.com thats more of a fw site

Nano
12-30-2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks! I have found a home for them and a great price, but I am growing them out til' summer! The guy offered me $30 a piece, couldn't turn that down haha I was honestly only expecting what I paid if not a tad bit more, but thats awesome

MarkoD
12-31-2011, 12:10 AM
i sold a trio of 5 year old frontosa. ( biggest male was about 12 inches) all for 80 bucks

it was difficult to find someone with a tank large enough for these fish

Nano
12-31-2011, 12:15 AM
i sold a trio of 5 year old frontosa. ( biggest male was about 12 inches) all for 80 bucks

it was difficult to find someone with a tank large enough for these fish

Yeah I hear ya, Bu he's got a 150 long so lots of room to "frolick" ;)