PDA

View Full Version : UPDATEDmore acans dead.

Skimmerking
12-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Well the count has got to be well over 30 i have 15 acans left out of the 46 that I used to have. its like the polyops is releasing from the skelton.:cry:

Bblinks
12-14-2011, 11:48 PM
running any probiotic systems?

Skimmerking
12-14-2011, 11:55 PM
nope just kalk and carbon an phosban that is it

Borderjumper
12-15-2011, 12:48 AM
That sucks.. Wish I could help ya buddy.. But I have no clue.

I've lost a couple that way too, the polyps just peel off leaving one white skeleton?

When I have one doing that I give it a revive dip, cut off the exposed skeleton and put the colony into another tank. That usually works. I've found some big black worms in some of the rock while I'm cutting the colony's apart.. Maybe that has something to do with it... Or maybe it's the light? My water chemistry is basically the same in both tanks, but for some reason they seem to stop the die off once I switch tanks.

If it were me.. I would frag off all the dead parts, and even go one polyp into the good tissue, give the good parts a dip in revive( mix it a little light) and put the frags on a rack for a while so you can watch em.

I have lost a scolly recently and have one struggling. I have way too many little brittle stars, and once the polyp recedes a little the brittle stars move right into the skeleton..I've seen them even waving their little arms out of the corals mouth.. This can't be good. the dip will kill them too.

Nano
12-15-2011, 01:27 AM
flat worms?

paddyob
12-15-2011, 01:38 AM
Add any new flow patterns or powerheads?

I simply moved one and it never liked the flow in the new spot. Lucky I lost only 5 heads.

Carmen
12-15-2011, 01:48 AM
I had a bad container of carbon(was very old) do the same thing to my Lps...

Skimmerking
12-15-2011, 03:09 AM
flat worms? no man no flatworms

Add any new flow patterns or powerheads? They are no real flow issues I don't have alot of flow I have a mp 20 for flow

I simply moved one and it never liked the flow in the new spot. Lucky I lost only 5 heads.

I had a bad container of carbon(was very old) do the same thing to my Lps... I'm using rox carbon Carmen

lastlight
12-15-2011, 03:40 AM
Really sorry you're still having issues. Wish I had something helpful to say.

I'm using rox carbon Carmen

BRS?

Delphinus
12-15-2011, 04:21 AM
Really sorry you're still having issues. Wish I had something helpful to say.

Me too. I think it's a disease that LPS can get. I've lost several LPS pieces over the years like this - last time it went through my tank I lost an open brain, both candy cane colonies, blastos and Acans (not all of them though, but any coral that got it would continue losing heads until it was gone). The weirdest thing is that the flesh would continue to look alive and well for some time until it basically disappeared - but it would look like they would recover if they could just regrow a skeleton, .. but I guess they can't.

Sorry to hear man it's very frustrating to go through this and feel so helpless. If you knew it was something you could fix you'd just fix it - I know that feeling all too well.

Hope it contains itself for you soon.

daniella3d
12-15-2011, 05:50 AM
Too strong light? this hapened to mine and I only saved it by putting it in the shade. They don,t seem to like strong light at all.

how is the lighting?

JMes
12-15-2011, 07:04 AM
Mike,
Pm me your # so we can talk and find the best solution before you lose everything. What you have is not caused from lighting or to much flow.It's a coral disease,and a very nasty one at that.

paddyob
12-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Mike,
Pm me your # so we can talk and find the best solution before you lose everything. What you have is not caused from lighting or to much flow.It's a coral disease,and a very nasty one at that.

This might be useful info for others. I am not aware of what you are talking about.

daniella3d
12-15-2011, 12:54 PM
yes please, what is it? and how do you treat it?

I never had it but I really like to know what to do if it ever happen.

Mike,

Skimmerking
12-15-2011, 02:51 PM
thanks all for the kind words im ready to pack it in. I have lost well lets say $$$$$$ :sad: not a good time 204-728-0342 thanks Jmes call me tonight ok.

Bblinks
12-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Are you feeding them anything? I would try to feed it some acan plus, I found that heavy feeding usually bring them back to life. I have had few heads die on me, coincidentally it was around the same time I changed my carbon over from seachem to brs's rox inconjunction with rowaphos. I believe the change in nutrience really ****ed it off. Good luck dude. let us know how it turns out.

Skimmerking
12-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Are you feeding them anything? I would try to feed it some acan plus, I found that heavy feeding usually bring them back to life. I have had few heads die on me, coincidentally it was around the same time I changed my carbon over from seachem to brs's rox inconjunction with rowaphos. I believe the change in nutrience really ****ed it off. Good luck dude. let us know how it turns out.
yes i have been feeding them ACAN PLUS since JMes started to sell it I was helping him out with it ...

paddyob
12-15-2011, 08:02 PM

Interesting. I recently switched to ROX as well. Maybe that's what ****ed mine off as well.

Cal_stir
12-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Mike,

I am having similar issues as well, acans, blastos, favias, scolymia.
please post, I would appreciate any input.

Thanks

Skimmerking
12-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Well tAlked to JMes last night about my problem withthe acans. we tried to rule out the rock, corals , lord knows whatelse i can think of.
Cal in the 400 range
Alk in the 9.3 DKH
PO4 nothing or barely any.
No2 nothing
NO3 nothing
salinty 1.022 now that may be it so i am slowly bringing the salt back up to 1.025 dont know why i havent checked my salt in abit.. busy at home lost track.:sad:

OH YA took out another 9 COLONIES THAT I HAVE lost.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

im down to 8 left :cry::cry::cry:

daniella3d
12-16-2011, 02:31 PM
1.022? that could be it then. And if your mesuring tool is a bit off it could be even lower.

How did this happen?

Well tAlked to JMes last night about my problem withthe acans. we tried to rule out the rock, corals , lord knows whatelse i can think of.
Cal in the 400 range
Alk in the 9.3 DKH
PO4 nothing or barely any.
No2 nothing
NO3 nothing
salinty 1.022 now that may be it so i am slowly bringing the salt back up to 1.025 dont know why i havent checked my salt in abit.. busy at home lost track.:sad:

OH YA took out another 9 COLONIES THAT I HAVE lost.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

im down to 8 left :cry::cry::cry:

FitoPharmer
12-16-2011, 11:55 PM
What is the temp of your display over a day?

Skimmerking
12-17-2011, 12:00 AM
the temp is a steady 78.3 all day and goes to 77.9 at night