PDA

View Full Version : Taking Vacations

b_james
12-14-2011, 04:27 PM
What do you guys do when you go on vacations (say a 2 week vacation)? I would assume you have someone come to the house every so often to check up on things. But how often. Also would it be worth it to invest in a controller with web access? Look into a local Aquarium maintenance service?

My tanks is a 150 Gal cube with a sump, 5 gal Tunze water top off (lasts about 5 days). PH controller, dual heaters.

lastlight
12-14-2011, 04:30 PM
I was visited by an extraterrestrial:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3185/2831962519_910e1991b0.jpg

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-14-2011, 04:35 PM
I haven't gone on any longer than 1 week since I started reefing again.

Have a local reefer who lives down the street from me who walks his dog up our street every day and pops in to feed & check on things.

Borderjumper
12-14-2011, 04:43 PM

But did he feed your fish while you were away?
-1 rep:mrgreen:

BigAl07
12-14-2011, 05:00 PM
I have a "Controller" with web access (GHL ProfiLux) but I also like to have a "Human" come by at least every other day to get an eyeball on the environment (leaks, lights blown etc).

I prepare my food in ice cubes and put them into baggies in the freezer so that whoever is looking in on the tank only has to open a baggy, grab an ice cube and drop it into the tank. Gotta keep it simple.

I also talk with my LFS and make sure they know I'm out of town so that if someone they don't know calls in a panic they are familiar with my system and how I do things.

MarkoD
12-14-2011, 05:57 PM
I went to Hawaii for a month in September.

Set up a 70 gallon tank for ATO and a drain bucket for the skimmer.

And 2 auto feeders for fish.

Everything survived

globaldesigns
12-14-2011, 06:12 PM
I have a great Canreef Member that helps me, and vice versa I help him. Great way to do things, as I wouldn't want to leave my tank in the hands of someone who doesn't have a clue what to do.

lastlight
12-14-2011, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't want to leave my tank in the hands of someone who doesn't have a clue what to do.

Fine I won't ask you either!

globaldesigns
12-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Fine I won't ask you either!

I would always be happy to help you out. I come with good references.

HEHE, I was referring to people like my father. You are a twisted !@#@#!

riceboy
12-14-2011, 07:11 PM

lol thats awesome

e46er
12-14-2011, 07:30 PM
My dad did it for me the first holiday I took- screwed it up so bad fed sooooooo much food probably 15 times more than required
My buddy who has a 220 discus tank has checked up on it last couple vacations , he doesn't have a salt tank yet but knows how to do tests and water changes and proper amounts of food
Worked out good
I just premixed some water and set up so he had to plug in pump 1 to pump out water plug in pump 2 to put water back in and then plug in return pump

BigAl07
12-14-2011, 07:37 PM
My last vacation I had a trusted family member who lived close by and he checked on the tank. We'd been out of town almost 2 weeks when he called and said, "How does the food get UP into the tank?" Instead of putting the food pucks (frozen food in ice cube trays) into the tank he was putting them into the 15g ATO reservoir. Unfortunately because of the design of my system little (if any) food got into the tank.

When I got home the tank looked better than ever and had zero casualties. Fortunately it was a lightly stocked, mature, and very healthy tank with tons of pods and MACRO algae so the tank sort of fed itself.

vanreefer
12-14-2011, 08:09 PM
I usually get my old man to stop in and check on the tank... but without fail there is always a power outage or something... i always come home to some sort of casualties... I also alert my LFS that I am going away and to expecrt the phone call from my father... I came come to realize loss is just part of any vacation... I have recently added an Apex controller... so at least I'll know what to expect when I get home LOL... oh and I make sure I bring home a nice bottle of scotch so my Dad won't refuse to take care of the tank next time

What do you guys do when you go on vacations (say a 2 week vacation)? I would assume you have someone come to the house every so often to check up on things. But how often. Also would it be worth it to invest in a controller with web access? Look into a local Aquarium maintenance service?

My tanks is a 150 Gal cube with a sump, 5 gal Tunze water top off (lasts about 5 days). PH controller, dual heaters.

tang daddy
12-14-2011, 08:54 PM
My dad also takes care of my tanks when I am gone, he over feeds but that's not a bad thing.... Picks up coral that fell, no casualties so far on my 2 weeks vacations(knock on wood)

My friends offer to look after my tank but don't want frags going missing mysteriously if you know what I mean LOL!!

dsaundry
12-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Whats a vacation?:wink:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
12-14-2011, 11:13 PM
If you can still afford a vacation, then you're just not reefing right:wink::twised:

Go to the LFS and spend more $$. That'll make your vacation worries moot.:biggrin:

whatcaneyedo
12-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Heres a new one to create a backup plan for. What happens when your tank sitter breaks the house key in the lock for your house? I guess I need to get a few extras cut...

BigAl07
12-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Heres a new one to create a backup plan for. What happens when your tank sitter breaks the house key in the lock for your house? I guess I need to get a few extras cut...

Ouch! Might want to look into a new tank sitter too LOL!

lastlight
12-28-2011, 04:59 PM
If you can still afford a vacation, then you're just not reefing right:wink::twised:

Go to the LFS and spend more $$. That'll make your vacation worries moot.:biggrin:

This is true wisdom right here. What the hell IS a vacation?

Aquarium_Medics
12-28-2011, 06:52 PM
For those in the Calgary area, I offer vacation services for marine tanks, as well as Freshwater.

PM me if you want more info.