PDA

View Full Version : Are you serious?!?

cwatkins
12-13-2011, 02:38 AM
I'm on a flight out of town tomorrow at 6pm and today my Apex Controller decides to die. As in poof, just stops working.

WTF? Why me?

Now I have to train the house sitter how to dose, check the temp, etc.

Why didn't this happen 2 weeks ago?

reefgirl189
12-13-2011, 02:55 AM
You're kidding! When did you get the controller? Should that be under warranty? Did you have a power failure?

Oh man does that ever suck!

daniella3d
12-13-2011, 03:01 AM
That's called Murphey's law at its best!

The same reason why it is always your favorite coral that will RTN or melt...why can't it be those ugly polyps in the corner?

I'm on a flight out of town tomorrow at 6pm and today my Apex Controller decides to die. As in poof, just stops working.

WTF? Why me?

cuz
12-13-2011, 03:03 AM
that sucks!!
at this point doesnt karma bring in a heavy storm with possible power outages just to make sure you worry for the entire trip?? lol

kidding, hope you get it figured!!

lastlight
12-13-2011, 03:04 AM
The same reason why it is always your favorite coral that will RTN or melt...

This is why I spend a solid 5 minutes in reef meditation daily staring at my valonia and aiptasia repeating the following to myself:

"you are my favorites... you are my favorites... you are my favorites..."

So far nada :cry:

Casey8
12-13-2011, 03:07 AM
This is why I spend a solid 5 minutes in reef meditation daily staring at my valonia and aiptasia repeating the following to myself:

"you are my favorites... you are my favorites... you are my favorites..."

So far nada :cry:

I think I should copy you to do like that from now on with red and blue mushrooms.

cwatkins
12-13-2011, 03:47 AM
I'm trying to re-flash the firmware. We'll see if I have any luck. Otherwise I'll have to switch over to the old coralife timer light bar :(

RuGlu6
12-13-2011, 03:52 AM

WTF? Why me?

We should never trust glorified $900 timers.

Aquattro
12-13-2011, 03:54 AM
We should never trust glorified $900 timers.
My glorified timer let me check my tank all week from Costa Rica. My $15 Rona timer never did that! :biggrin:

Wayne
12-13-2011, 03:56 AM
It could be worse... At least you have time to train someone to look after it. It could have happened tomarrow at 6:01 PM :wink:

WTF? Why me?

cwatkins
12-13-2011, 06:16 AM
Firmware flash worked, then 10 minutes later it crapped out again.

Base unit must be fried. Stupid electronics. I guess they don't build them for Apollo missions.

I'll have to call up Neptune when I get back and do the debugging thing. Doubt this will be fixed by xmas.

:(

Mitchell
12-13-2011, 12:42 PM
uh oh...sorry to hear man. Is this a common problem with the Apex systems? Im looking into either the Apex or the RK

Aquattro
12-13-2011, 12:52 PM
uh oh...sorry to hear man. Is this a common problem with the Apex systems? Im looking into either the Apex or the RK

Based off my reading in the Neptune forum on RC, no, this isn't common. I've been running mine now for a while, no issues at all. However, like all things in this hobby (or any other hobby), there are always units that fail for some reason. Support from Neptune is great, so should a problem be encountered, it's generally corrected promptly. Of course if you're leaving town the next day, you're still kinda screwed....

Mitchell
12-13-2011, 01:08 PM
awesome great to hear as I really want the Apex over the RK

BigAl07
12-13-2011, 04:31 PM
How much are you "controlling" with your APEX?

Any visible sign of problems (unit got wet, dropped etc)?

Were there any warning signs before it "Poofed"?

If you don't get it resolved you might want to look into a more robust controller ie GHL ProfiLux.

Lampshade
12-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Were you using this controller during all your new MH bulb issue's in your other thread? Could the constant tripping have affected it? Or the overloading/whatever the hell was going on?
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=80919

BigAl07
12-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Were you using this controller during all your new MH bulb issue's in your other thread? Could the constant tripping have affected it? Or the overloading/whatever the hell was going on?
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=80919

I would imagine all those ups n downs would be hard on the internals of the controller.

Aquattro
12-14-2011, 01:35 AM
If you don't get it resolved you might want to look into a more robust controller ie GHL ProfiLux.

Based on what? IMO the Apex is every bit as "robust" as the Profilux at a lot less money.
Support is awesome, Kurt gets right back to you, lots of documentation and very few issues reported on RC. Mine's been rock solid every day I've used it. Easy to setup and easy to use, very useful access over my phone.

reefgirl189
12-14-2011, 02:47 AM
Based on what? IMO the Apex is every bit as "robust" as the Profilux at a lot less money.
Support is awesome, Kurt gets right back to you, lots of documentation and very few issues reported on RC. Mine's been rock solid every day I've used it. Easy to setup and easy to use, very useful access over my phone.

Precisely the reason/s we chose the Apex.

BigAl07
12-14-2011, 04:05 PM

Based on First Hand Experience? Yes indeed! I've been there done that! Don't take it personally against you or anyone else.

I've owned several "controllers" and for my needs, for my reliability requirements etc the ProfiLux is second to none. Of course many people will disagree but most of them haven't owned the ProfiLux so it comes back to the "this cost more... yadda yadda uadda" debate which is pointless. Of course if you look at the "meat and taters" of comparable units and compare you'll see that ProfiLux only appears to be costly if you don't dig any deeper than that. C'est la vie!

If your APEX works flawlessly for you then that's really all that matters in the end. I merely offered a suggestion to someone who is having extreme APEX problems from someone who has been there and found that the ProfiLux is a much better fit.

If this ruffled some feathers I apologize as that was not the intention nor to start the "My controller is bigger than your controller debate".

Allen

lastlight
12-14-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm not trying to come off as elitist here but I'm light-years beyond your gadgetry!

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAPK-zRrhRdjyWLma60ygtdxdNo3ERuIGJm_PouDb4dAyyr2c5ayGaH kVE

Aquattro
12-14-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm not trying to come off as elitist here but I'm light-years beyond your gadgetry!

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAPK-zRrhRdjyWLma60ygtdxdNo3ERuIGJm_PouDb4dAyyr2c5ayGaH kVE

I got me one of them too!! :)

BigAl07
12-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Any updates on this issue?

Hopefully you got it resolved before you left for your trip.

Bblinks
12-16-2011, 11:03 PM

WHAT THE DUECE IS THAT??

cwatkins
12-16-2011, 11:14 PM
Well if you can believe it, the un-trusty old Coralife dual timer has now failed on my housesitter. It won't come on at the scheduled time reliably. I guess those cheap mechanical timers wear out. That was my second Coralife timer. Same thing happened to the first one.

So she's down to manually turning the halides on and off for their 8 hours each day.

But other than that everything is happy.

I don't think the earlier tripping issue is related because I think I stabilized it a few days prior by removing the bulbs and swapping them around and ensuring they were seated 100% correctly. There was no corresponding power outage for when the Apex died. It just randomly crashed.

Any electrical device should be able to be turned off and on at least once or twice per day. And the base controller is a separate module, so it doesn't take a hit when the EB8 goes on and off. Yes it does get a small amount of power from it via the Aquabus, but it's probably only 5 or 12 volts. I may even try getting a dedicated power supply for the base module.

Aquattro
12-17-2011, 12:27 AM
WHAT THE DUECE IS THAT??

It's the controller that comes with an aqualogic chiller..

ReefOcean
12-17-2011, 12:51 AM
My Controller is me.:smile:

cwatkins
12-17-2011, 02:56 AM
I must say though, other than this experience, the Apex has been solid and I love it.