PDA

View Full Version : hair alge

golden69_ca
02-18-2004, 04:10 AM
picked up a new addition to the tank a week ago . a sea hare . he is the ultimate lawnmower . will rent him out to any one with a hair alge problem :biggrin:

ltay
02-18-2004, 04:39 AM
Are you serious for renting ? I have lots of hair algea for your seahare to eat and I don't charge you.

golden69_ca
02-18-2004, 04:43 AM
not a problem . he is like a old russian farmer with a sicle leaves a bare pach in his wake . was just watching him and he went across a rock covered and now there is a nice bare patch . can now see the rock :biggrin:

Bartman
02-18-2004, 05:22 AM
Where did you get it? Did you get it specifically to eat hair algae? How fast does it mow it away? Does it actually eat it or does it just scrape it off the rock? Many questions..... :biggrin:

golden69_ca
02-18-2004, 06:36 AM
in eats it as fast as it can find it . got it from hidden reef in abby. i like odd thing and i have read that they are great for that and its true :biggrin: but ones he is done in my tank i have not found out what to suplement his food . they have a life span of about a year and very nocternal .

golden69_ca
02-18-2004, 06:38 AM
like i said on the first post i will lend him out . he is atlest the size of a tennus ball . :biggrin:

Tanman
02-18-2004, 08:21 AM
do you have a pic of it yet?and how can i see it, if you do?

IslandReefer
02-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Here is an interesting site for Sea Hares:

http://www.seaslugforum.net/seahares.htm

Does anyone have practical knowledge about how much "stress" it takes for them to release ink?? and how toxic is it?(ie water change+skim,rapid mass water change,or instant mass wake??)

golden69_ca
02-25-2004, 03:25 AM
i lent it out to pocilipora and we found out that it does not like the brown alge that kinda looks like hair alge . it is now back in my tank and has preaty much cleaned up all my alge just a little more on a couple of snall shells . he now has to chase them . offer is still open to lend him out . i am going to work in the interior for a couple days should be back by the weekend . if any one would like a pic i can email one .