PDA

View Full Version : SPS / Reef & MP40wes

Pinchy
12-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Hello all,

Another newbish question for you. I have just recently purchased an Mp40wes from Dave@concept for my 72 gallon bowfront. What percentage of flow should i be running the vortech on for sps / mixed reef? I have a couple of SPS frags in the tank (plan to have plenty more), a fluval 304 canister and a sump w/ehiem return pump (running on lower setting). I currently have it running on a lower setting probably around 40-50% (Reefcrest mode) and there is already a TON of wide flow in the tank. My bangai cardinal looks like he is getting blown away no matter where he goes. (Perhaps i should think about selling him). Your input is greatly appreciated!

badAZZlars
12-12-2011, 04:54 PM
The two on my 125 are set to about 70% on short pulse to create a small wave action. I would think that you should be fine with the single one set at 50% or higher. Your cardinal should be just fine in that flow as well.

parkinsn
12-12-2011, 04:56 PM
What are the dimentions of your tank? Where do you have the MP40 now, back, side? How do you have the tank scaped?

RyanJ
12-12-2011, 05:26 PM
I run 100% on Reef Crest Short pulse.. With 2x mp40 and 1x mp60 a :D and no issues.. in a 125G.. so I would just play with it and see what your tank likes.. there really no right answer to that.. and your bangai cardinal will just have to learn to swim abit better! theres no way your going to make more flow in your tank then the ocean can produce so get that water moving cuz SPS LOVE flow!

regent2009
12-12-2011, 05:32 PM
i have the exact 72 g and using 60% of the MP40 esw on random mode pointing to left side. then i found the short side of the overflow needs a k3 powerhead pointing the other way around. seems like all sps is happy thou.

ScubaSteve
12-12-2011, 05:46 PM
A general (and I mean very general) rule of thumb is that the polyps on your SPS colonies should have a decent movement every 3 seconds (by which I mean they "twitch" "flick", whatever you call it.. with the current). I'd say turn it down so that this was your minimum. The intensity of flow changes depending on how and where you have the unit mounted. Does it blow as the front glass? Does it go end to end? Do you have a lot of rock in the way? So it's easiest to use this as a gauge for the minimum then tweak it up of down depending on the behavior of the SPS.