250w 14k Pheniox
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/rastaangel/016.jpg
14k Pheniox and SOL Blue
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/rastaangel/017.jpg
SOL Blue
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/rastaangel/018.jpg

Myka
12-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Holy crap, it's your tank! You never post photos!

Did you buy 2 Sols or just the one? I'm thinking I might put one on my nano to try it out. Thanks for posting comparison photos, I am using the same halide bulbs, so it is a good comparison for me. Don't roast your corals! I think most people making the switch are starting at about 30% coming off 250 watt halides.

rastaangel
12-12-2011, 01:24 AM
My tanks a uber secret mindy LOL im gonna post a bunch of pics when I get all the LEDs up and running for a growth diary
I am still running the halides till I get the other 2 then I will be running 4 SOL Blues total

Zoaelite
12-12-2011, 01:30 AM
Very nice tape job :lol:, do you think having the sol closer to the water is causing the increased brightness or does it appear much brighter in person?

rastaangel
12-12-2011, 01:39 AM
Good old canadian chrome will fix anything!!!
Its WAY brighter then MH! There is only the thickness of the unit in difference between the 2. My MH bulb is 1/4" away from the glass with my custom reflector

BigAl07
12-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Do run your SOL at a greatly reduced setting. The LED are producing a crap load of PAR and it's so intense even settings as low as 50% will cause photo-shock in many coral. I started my custom LED at 20% and ramped it up over 2 months (increased 10% a week) and I still bleached some of my SPS that were up higher.

rastaangel
12-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Ya im prob gonna start around 15-20% as I will be running 4 blue modules and a few of my SPS are like 6" under the surface

Bblinks
12-13-2011, 05:49 PM
That is sweet dude, I just bought ai sols for my 300 but havent had a chance to put them up yet as I am still in the transition period from the 210 to 300. I was hesitant on the units but from your pictures it really solidified my concerns on light coverage. Thanks for posting.:biggrin:

Nano
12-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Looks like The SOL is a clear winner! in brightness and efficiency!

ReefOcean
12-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Where can you get the AI's in Canada?

Nano
12-13-2011, 09:06 PM

you can order them online from Martin @ modularled.ca other wise most real SW stores get them in from time to time :razz:

Bblinks
12-13-2011, 09:08 PM
talk to Martin at modular led, 399 each 5% tax, you just can't beat. When I got my order from Martin it came with an extra chocolate bar. You just can't beat that. Thanks Martin.

MarkoD
12-13-2011, 09:55 PM
might as well wait for boxing day.

i got mine for 300 for the first one and 340 for each additional one during the store tours

Madreefer
12-13-2011, 11:00 PM

Oceans Aquatics for those in B.C. they are a vendor on here. Was'nt listed on their site so I just called them. Gave me a good price and service was great.

BigAl07
12-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Ditto to Martin http://www.modularled.ca/
Also Martin will match pricing if you find them cheaper and has free shipping for yall.

mark
12-13-2011, 11:17 PM
I am still running the halides till I get the other 2 then I will be running 4 SOL Blues total

what size of tank and how many MH now?

intarsiabox
12-13-2011, 11:53 PM

daniella3d
12-14-2011, 01:11 AM
Sure...now lets see the growth...That's the real deal.

Looks like The SOL is a clear winner! in brightness and efficiency!

MarkoD
12-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Sure...now lets see the growth...That's the real deal.

Ive seen noticeable growth over the last days with the sol that I've never seen before with 250watt 14000k mh

intarsiabox
12-14-2011, 02:57 AM
There are thousands of posts out there showing plenty of growth with Sols and other LED fixtures.

daniella3d
12-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Pro photographer? why not post some growing sequence? and show the coloration under LED?

Ive seen noticeable growth over the last days with the sol that I've never seen before with 250watt 14000k mh

MarkoD
12-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Pro photographer? why not post some growing sequence? and show the coloration under LED?

Because I only have little frags here and there. Nothing really worth anything. Plus I'm still waiting for 1 more fixture

And just because I'm a photographer doesn't mean anything. I specialize in weddings and sports. Just like you can't ask a dermatologist what's wrong with your hearing

Myka
12-14-2011, 04:01 PM

i got mine for 300 for the first one and 340 for each additional one during the store tours

Really? I thought there was a $399 MSRP that retailer aren't allowed to go under. No?

MarkoD
12-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Really? I thought there was a $399 MSRP that retailer aren't allowed to go under. No?

I don't think so. I know apple does that. But my lfs defiantly sold them at that price and sold so many that they're on major back order

BigAl07
12-14-2011, 04:10 PM

Many of your bigger manufacturers will set MAP (Min Advertised Price) which just means you can't advertise lower prices but you can sell it for less. I work in retail and have to adhere to different rules from different vendors but many of them now have MAP. We just don't advertise low prices but if you call or come into the store we can sell for whatever we like.

unclesalty
12-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Many of your bigger manufacturers will set MAP (Min Advertised Price) which just means you can't advertise lower prices but you can sell it for less. I work in retail and have to adhere to different rules from different vendors but many of them now have MAP. We just don't advertise low prices but if you call or come into the store we can sell for whatever we like.

This is 100% exactly how it works! I notice also most of the deals way below MRSP also are hush hush deals where the dealer doesn't want you broadcasting the cheap price which is understandable. I have yet to pay anywhere close to msrp/map on most of my major purchases.

unclesalty
12-14-2011, 05:36 PM

Those prices are awesome as the guy I deal with told me $360 when I checked for a Canreefer the other day.

daniella3d
12-14-2011, 05:52 PM
But that's when it's fun to take photo of growing sequence. You take your small frag and in one month you take them again, each month or every second month and you check the growth.

I was surprised when I saw my photos 8 months later. I have some that are growing 1" per month so you can imagine after 8 months. It's fun to do and help you keep track of the growth and color.

I am a wildlife photographer...I understand photography well enough to do some little shots of corals :) I was assuming that you know a bit about photography and exposure, focal etc..that's all it takes :)

YOu really can't compare this to medicine... Photography does not require 6 years of university + and the same base apply to everything...it's only the lens that change. I don't see much difference between doing corals, bugs or a moose, or even a bird in flight.

Because I only have little frags here and there. Nothing really worth anything. Plus I'm still waiting for 1 more fixture

And just because I'm a photographer doesn't mean anything. I specialize in weddings and sports. Just like you can't ask a dermatologist what's wrong with your hearing

MarkoD
12-14-2011, 06:02 PM
But that's when it's fun to take photo of growing sequence. You take your small frag and in one month you take them again, each month or every second month and you check the growth.

I was surprised when I saw my photos 8 months later. I have some that are growing 1" per month so you can imagine after 8 months. It's fun to do and help you keep track of the growth and color.

I am a wildlife photographer...I understand photography well enough to do some little shots of corals :) I was assuming that you know a bit about photography and exposure, focal etc..that's all it takes :)

YOu really can't compare this to medicine... Photography does not require 6 years of university + and the same base apply to everything...it's only the lens that change. I don't see much difference between doing corals, bugs or a moose, or even a bird in flight.

Well my biggest problem is that I took apart an expensive tripod to put the head on my monopod. And now I can't remember how to reassemble the tripod and can't justify another 500 for a new one.

And I agree that it's not hard to just take shots of frags. I'm really picky and selective with my photos. And unless I can make them look really good I probably would never post them

Funky_Fish14
12-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Great comparison... I hope your not leaving the LED taped up like that for too long though, Being against a flat surface like that is likely obstructing the heat sink.

Cheers,

Chris

MarkoD
12-14-2011, 09:57 PM
so i got a message from AI today

they finally moved their production plant and are producing units again

should be available in stores in the next couple weeks

daniella3d
12-15-2011, 12:14 AM
There is no need for a tripod, beleive me.

Well my biggest problem is that I took apart an expensive tripod to put the head on my monopod. And now I can't remember how to reassemble the tripod and can't justify another 500 for a new one.

And I agree that it's not hard to just take shots of frags. I'm really picky and selective with my photos. And unless I can make them look really good I probably would never post them

Madreefer
12-15-2011, 12:17 AM

He took a pic of his moorish idol and it's a great pic! Happy? Get off his case already.

Funky_Fish14
12-15-2011, 01:47 AM

I dunno about that... there may not be a need for one... but they improve picture quality by a heck of a lot! My photos are MUCH more crisp when I use a tripod.

*Edit: Just saying that I feel there is definitely an improvement in my shots from use of a tripod - While adding in the disclaimer that I know not a thing about photography :lol:

MarkoD
12-15-2011, 01:50 AM
It all depends what focal length you use. I like shooting telephoto to compress the background. And when shooting at 400mm you need at least a 1/400 of a second shutter spee; which is impossible when using off camera flash cuz the sync speed is only 1/200. So the only way to avoid camera shake is to use a tripod

lastlight
12-15-2011, 04:05 AM
I don't see how any shot wouldn't be at least a little better shot from a tripod?

Funky_Fish14
12-15-2011, 04:13 AM
I don't see how any shot wouldn't be at least a little better shot from a tripod?

Unless you are trying to do an 'action' (read: Blurrrrrry) shot :razz:

lastlight
12-15-2011, 04:15 AM
Chris please don't challenge me in public. Imagine I took enough offense to negaRep you...

Funky_Fish14
12-15-2011, 04:17 AM
Chris please don't challenge me in public. Imagine I took enough offense to negaRep you...

Yeah I should shut up - you got that fancy badge next to your name: ' Photo X-pert'!

Forgive my sins, Lord Brett!

(aside from the fact that my post was sarcasm and agreeing with you :lol: )

lastlight
12-15-2011, 04:33 AM
Yaside from the fact that my post was sarcasm and agreeing with you

Haha. I'm slow to pickup on that stuff!

Fear the badge. I beat out countless (if you've got the counting ability of say an infant) photo submissions to get where I am today!

daniella3d
12-15-2011, 05:39 AM
But you would not shoot corals at 400mm.. it's better with a smaller lens from closer or a macro lens. My 400mm focus at 12 feet...so I would not even be able to take a photo of the aquarium without hitting the wall.

I did tons of macro of insects and never used a tripod and with the aquarium and either LED or MH, the light is so strong that getting the speed to get sharp photos is not a problem. If there is blur from the motion of the person, usually there is not enough speed and the coral will be blurred if it is moving, at least the polyps will.

If you use a slow shutter, you might get blurry pic tripod or not.

It all depends what focal length you use. I like shooting telephoto to compress the background. And when shooting at 400mm you need at least a 1/400 of a second shutter spee; which is impossible when using off camera flash cuz the sync speed is only 1/200. So the only way to avoid camera shake is to use a tripod

daniella3d
12-15-2011, 05:45 AM
It all depends on the shutter speed.

Funky_Fish14
12-15-2011, 06:38 AM
I did tons of macro of insects and never used a tripod

You can get a lot closer to an insect when there isn't a wall of glass in the way though :razz:
I've got wicked shots of insects with my cam or even phone, but any shots I take of stuff in my tank are junk cause they are 10-20" back.
*above comments without tripod*

As im sure you know, the degree of movement of the image in the lens is amplified as you get further away from it. Shaking 1/10th of a milimeter up close and it doesnt look like much, but shooting something 20 inches away is very visible. Yes the camera (or settings) might be able to compensate for it, but the less movement, the less chance for light to be 'diverted incorrectly' or 'misinterpreted'. I may know little about cameras, but these are basic physics principles.

mark
12-15-2011, 06:51 AM
and I thought I hijacked threads :wink:

daniella3d
12-15-2011, 01:06 PM
No not really, where did you get that? The movement is amplified with the longer focal, but if you shoot from 4" with a 100mm lens, that will not change your exposure usually and will not be worse than if you shoot at 20 inches. I was shooting macros of things even at 3 feet because a dragonfly is quite large, opposite to a tiny fly.

shaking at 1/10 of a mm? does that exist? or did you mean 1/10th of a second? Because I am not aware of any camera that can focus that close!

I think you are confusing between shutter speed and focal length or distance to subject.

My macro lens was having a minimum focusing distance of 12 inches. It was not possible to use it closer to that. Now with my small Kodak Playsport I can get as close as 5", but it does not matter if I am 5" or 20" away...same thing because same ligting and same shutter speed and ISO.

What you are describing are not basic photo principle. Basic principles in photography is, the shake is amplified by the slower shutter speed, the higher focal and the higher F number and a lower ISO.

It is not the distance to the subject at all, that has no influence. The only thing that can influence the distance to subject and render a photo unsharp is the atmospheric haze outside.

Here is a bug at minimum focusing distance but at 1/200th of a secon to create motion on the wings:

http://i.pbase.com/v3/84/9684/1/47753020.IMG_581801s.jpg

Here is one taken at 3 feet distance. at 1/1000s of a second everything was sharp, including the wing motion because that dragonfly was in flight and flapping very fast:

http://i.pbase.com/u35/zylen/upload/34322133.IMG_8773s.jpg

So as you can see here it is the shutter speed that freeze the motion, not the distance to subject. NO matter how far I would be from the subject. Of course at some point I would be too far and would get no detail in the subject, but that's another story and that does not apply to aquarium.

I never used a tripod to do my macro shots and rarely had blur.

But enough for the basic 101 photography course :)

To the original poster, if you don't want to share pics or show them, that's ok, at least take some for yourself so that you can check the coral growth later on...it is fun to watch later :)

Sorry for the off topic

You can get a lot closer to an insect when
As im sure you know, the degree of movement of the image in the lens is amplified as you get further away from it. Shaking 1/10th of a milimeter up close and it doesnt look like much, but shooting something 20 inches away is very visible. Yes the camera (or settings) might be able to compensate for it, but the less movement, the less chance for light to be 'diverted incorrectly' or 'misinterpreted'. I may know little about cameras, but these are basic physics principles.

Madreefer
12-15-2011, 04:16 PM
:focus:

rastaangel
12-15-2011, 05:34 PM
Ya WTF batman? this isnt taking pics 101

Bblinks
12-15-2011, 05:49 PM
lol, I was thinking the same thing. I will have some pictures posted on my comparison by next week.

rastaangel
01-12-2012, 12:47 AM
FINALLY THERE ON!!! Heres a shot of 4 SOL blues @ 100%
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/rastaangel/001.jpg

mark
01-12-2012, 01:16 AM
what size of tank and how many MH before?

rastaangel
01-12-2012, 01:17 AM
90g, had 2 250 MH before
There all at 20% now

Madreefer
01-12-2012, 02:05 AM
What intensity and lighting schedule are you planning on doing?

rastaangel
01-12-2012, 02:08 AM
20% now with a 2-5% weekly increase till desired lighting
1 hr sunrise/set, 9hrs on

Madreefer
01-12-2012, 02:24 AM
There's some pretty good lighting schedules on that other site. You just have to filter threw all the negative posts about the AIs. It's funny that the ones that have the biggest opinions are those that don't own them. I too started out at a lower intensity and have settled with all 3 at 60%. Good luck. Nice tank by the way