PDA

View Full Version : Filter Socks

Wayne
12-11-2011, 11:14 PM
How often do you guys/gals change your filter socks? I just started running them a week ago and I am changing them out almost daily. Mine are 3" 100 Micron.

ILIKECOUGARS
12-11-2011, 11:37 PM
I change mine about every 5 to 7 days. But the ones I use are larger than yours. I have 5 of them and I throw them in the washing machine to clean them.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/pm-fb10016r/100+Micron+Filter+Sock+with+Ring.html

Wayne
12-11-2011, 11:42 PM
I bought 3 so I could swap them out, but at this rate I will need more :lol:

I am just hoping after running them for a few weeks that the intervals will get farther apart :wink:

Myka
12-12-2011, 12:00 AM
I have 8" 200 micron (couldn't find 100 micron when I bought them). I change them everyday. This way I don't have to rinse them before I wash them. I just flip them inside out and put them in the sink to dry.

Wayne
12-12-2011, 12:02 AM
I have 8" 200 micron (couldn't find 100 micron when I bought them). I change them everyday. This way I don't have to rinse them before I wash them. I just flip them inside out and put them in the sink to dry.

Hum I guess this could be normal then... I will need more socks :lol: I am going to guess bleaching them would be bad... How do you keep them white?

asylumdown
12-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Do they need to be white? The stains let you know they're working lol

Myka
12-12-2011, 12:06 AM
My way isn't the norm. I would most people change socks once a week and some don't change them until they overflow. I find it less work to change it everyday because it saves the pre-rinse by hand. Mine stay white because they never get very dirty! :p Bleach works though, you don't have to neutralize the bleach after either...just put them in the dryer and the bleach will off-gas. You can let them sit for a day or two to off-gas more if you're really worried.

Wayne
12-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Do they need to be white? The stains let you know they're working lol

I guess not. But if the bleach gasses off then I guess it doesn't hurt to try :mrgreen:

Wayne
12-12-2011, 12:47 AM
My way isn't the norm. I would most people change socks once a week and some don't change them until they overflow. I find it less work to change it everyday because it saves the pre-rinse by hand. Mine stay white because they never get very dirty! :p Bleach works though, you don't have to neutralize the bleach after either...just put them in the dryer and the bleach will off-gas. You can let them sit for a day or two to off-gas more if you're really worried.

I may be with you, I don't know if I want to leave it in there for any longer than a few days at the most. Last thing I need is the possibility of nitrate problems when I am trying to make my tank cleaner.

Myka
12-12-2011, 01:14 AM
Last thing I need is the possibility of nitrate problems when I am trying to make my tank cleaner.

:clap2: