PDA

View Full Version : Painting your Fish Tank

HaZRaTTy
12-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Hey,

Thinking of painting my fish tank background black/blue to hide the Return lines and cords running from my Tank and Canopy. Anyone have experience in the paint and can suggest a paint that will do the trick? Also I know it's generally a personal preference for the colour you choose, but I'm thinking I might go with black, anyone have any tanks w/ a black background that I can see pictures of before I make the leap.

Thanks,

Jordan.

untamed
12-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Are you going to keep the inside of the back of the tank clean? Because if you don't clean it, algae will cover view of those cords in no time.

Cal_stir
12-11-2011, 11:05 PM
krylon works good. black looks best

jtbadco
12-11-2011, 11:25 PM
I agree. Krylon for plastic works really well. Tape off the rest of the tank and spray in a ventilated area.

Clean the tank back really well, remove all debris, silicone, etc and wipe with rubbing alcohol. Let dry

Spray several(5 or 6) very thin coats, letting each one dry in between(5-10mins)

...??? Is your tank empty right now?

e46er
12-12-2011, 01:22 AM
i used so high temp. black paint we use at work for painting inside of fireplaces it was free. been 3 years or so and 2 tank moves and hasnt scratched thru yet.

lastlight
12-12-2011, 01:41 AM
The frag tank I bought has a black vinyl back on it... perhaps it's some type of window tint but seems thicker than that.

My painted back did scratch over time with moving my tunze magnets around... if I knew how to apply such a backing I'd have gone that route.

HaZRaTTy
12-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Are you going to keep the inside of the back of the tank clean? Because if you don't clean it, algae will cover view of those cords in no time.

Well I would like to think that I plan to keep the tank pretty clean, but I'm sure as you and I know that that's not always an easy task.

Thanks for the info i'll check what sort of paint I have.

FishyFishy!
12-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Just make sure to razor blade the back, and wipe it down with rubbing alcohol before painting/masking.

The best is Krylon Fusion for sure, they have a nice black and a solid blue. If you look at my 155 build thread I used the blue, and it looks great.