PDA

View Full Version : What Paint do you use for you stand?

philg3
12-11-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm building a stand for a display refugium that will match my current one, and am going to need to paint them both when I'm done. So what type of paint should i use? Both will be 2x4 frames covered with 1/2" MDF. I plan on painting the interior of both white, and the exterior black. Any advice on primer/paint and sealant would be appreciated, as well as any pointers regarding application etc.

I'm a little lost here and have stood in the paint aisles of a couple of stores just getting more confused. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers

MarkoD
12-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Trust me on this. I've built many stands..... Don't use mdf! If the slightest bit of moisture touches it, it will bubble and fall apart.

As for paint. Any paint works on plywood

Lonster
12-11-2011, 07:42 PM
I used marine paint for the inside and outside of my stand. Same sort of idea built with 2x4's and plywood. I didn't use a primer but looking back i definitely would if I was to do it again, the wood sucked up quite a bit of paint and I found that it takes a bit longer to dry as well.

I got the paint from general paint, I just asked the lady at home depot and since they don't carry any she recommended a store for me. Hope this helps.

Myka
12-11-2011, 07:46 PM
I use outdoor paint...gloss white for the inside (gloss is easier to clean and seals the wood better). The outside of the stand I like to use the same color and finish as the wall it is in front of also in an outdoor paint.

Borderjumper
12-11-2011, 08:52 PM
I used gloss black marine paint. it's holding up well and wipes down easily.

fishytime
12-11-2011, 10:13 PM
you can use MDF.....it just needs to be prepared and painted properly......sealer, primer, paint and then lots of silicone......you cant, and I mean cant leave any exposed MDF, like where you cut/ drill holes etc.....all seams, cracks and screw holes must be caulked.....it may be a cheaper material to buy initially but you make up for it in the painting process...

MarkoD
12-11-2011, 10:25 PM
you can use MDF.....it just needs to be prepared and painted properly......sealer, primer, paint and then lots of silicone......you cant, and I mean cant leave any exposed MDF, like where you cut/ drill holes etc.....all seams, cracks and screw holes must be caulked.....it may be a cheaper material to buy initially but you make up for it in the painting process...

And it weighs more than plywood

Maverick00
12-12-2011, 02:13 AM
+1 for avoiding MDF if you can

MDF and water mixes like shi* and strawberry shortcake