PDA

View Full Version : Strange Leopard Wrasse Behavior

ScubaSteve
12-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Hey guys,

I'm a bit concerned for my Potters today. He was MIA for two days but saw him in the morning yesterday (didn't see him in the afternoon because he goes to bed early). This morning he didn't show up until 3 hours after his regular time and when he did he was acting pretty loopy (more than when he normally wakes up). He was also hiding among the rocks rather than bombing around the tank like he normally does. He also seemed to be breathing fairly quick. What actually concerns me though was some of his swimming behavior; he'd rest his fins on the rock or sand from time to time and when he was making his crazy turns he seemed more unstable than a fish just making daredevil turns. And now he's hiding again (in the sand presumably).

He eats pellets and is currently fat as a bugger. I'm worried he behavior is a sign of things to come. Any ideas on what I should he looking for or what might be happening?

K

Stones
12-11-2011, 08:12 PM
My leopard wrasse did a similar thing a few years ago and I thought it was going to die forsure. However, what ended up happening was the wrasse changed sex from female to male. Prior to this change happening, the wrasse would be missing in action from the display during the daylight hours and when I did briefly see it, the scales were all "ruffled" looking and his slime coat looked milky. Its behaviour was erratic and it didn't want to eat either. It took about 2 weeks in total before he emerged from the sandbed one morning looking as healthy as ever but in the adult male coloration.

Not sure if it would be the same for a potter's wrasse but since it is in the leopard wrasse family, I'd assume maybe this is the case?

ScubaSteve
12-12-2011, 07:18 PM
My leopard wrasse did a similar thing a few years ago and I thought it was going to die forsure. However, what ended up happening was the wrasse changed sex from female to male. Prior to this change happening, the wrasse would be missing in action from the display during the daylight hours and when I did briefly see it, the scales were all "ruffled" looking and his slime coat looked milky. Its behaviour was erratic and it didn't want to eat either. It took about 2 weeks in total before he emerged from the sandbed one morning looking as healthy as ever but in the adult male coloration.

Not sure if it would be the same for a potter's wrasse but since it is in the leopard wrasse family, I'd assume maybe this is the case?

This is interesting. I've been wondering if this is what is going on. He seemed happy and healthy otherwise up until recently. Over the month or so I've had him his colour has gone from electric blue on yellow to electric blue on orange/yellow. I wasn't sure if this was due to him eating spectrum and finally relaxing or if it was the beginning of a "lifestyle change".

Same family, so let's hope that this is the case. I haven't been able to find much info on the sex change process for these fish. Some people say the sex change in leopard wrasses happens while they stay out and about, some say they hide during the process, and they is zero info on my specific wrasse.

I may just have to wait it out and see what happens...