PDA

View Full Version : Filmstar fish on Oasis HD

daniella3d
12-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Here is a program some might find interesting. It's premier Tuesday December 13 on Oasis HD:

http://www.oasishd.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=378&Itemid=2

Should be interesting. Or maybe full of propagenda? are clowfish in the wild really in danger?

That TV channel is awesome with all sort of program on reefs and the sea, but all sort of wildlife as well. It's commercial free and cost 2$ per month...well worth it for me :)

FishyFishy!
12-10-2011, 01:22 PM
I saw this as well. Looks like it will be interesting to watch for sure. Gives you an inside look at the commercial aquarium business first hand on the distributer's side.

I can't really see the clown fish being in danger from the aquarium industry... but lets watch to see if we can make sense of what they say!

daniella3d
12-10-2011, 01:27 PM
yes I was thinking the same because in the USA and Canada there are quite a few companies breeding them but what about other countries? Maybe they simply pick them from the wild?

we'll see. Of course it would be easy to re-introduce them in the wild from captive bred stock if it was the case because they are so easily bred.

But yes it should be interesting to watch.

I saw this as well. Looks like it will be interesting to watch for sure. Gives you an inside look at the commercial aquarium business first hand on the distributer's side.

I can't really see the clown fish being in danger from the aquarium industry... but lets watch to see if we can make sense of what they say!

MarkoD
12-10-2011, 01:53 PM
I think it's just bologna. There isn't that many people with saltwater aquariums in the world that it would cause a fish to become extinct.

Look at tuna for example; almost everyone in the world eats tuna, and it's nowhere near extinction.

I think the expression "there's plenty of fish in the sea" literally holds true

Proteus
12-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Clown finish are in danger but not from the industry. They are in danger because the oceans of the world absorb Alot of carbon dioxide making the water acidic. Studys have shown that clown fish loose the ability to navigate and also loose the ability to host anenome. Also at the same time in these acidic waters inverts such as sea stars litterly fall apart

Nano
12-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Now I feel bad for having 2! Even though they are TB ... Poor little buggers

Proteus
12-10-2011, 03:36 PM
I think it's just bologna. There isn't that many people with saltwater aquariums in the world that it would cause a fish to become extinct.

Look at tuna for example; almost everyone in the world eats tuna, and it's nowhere near extinction.

Really. So the dying fisheries off the grand banks is a hoax to force maritimers to uproot there families. Think again

Lampshade
12-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Bah, thanks, forgot i was still paying for this channel. Used to be cool when it was like national geographic. now it's a Eco-nut channel about how terrible we are to the environment. Oooo... $5 a month saved will be another fish in my tank for next year :twised:

fishoholic
12-10-2011, 03:39 PM
I can't see clownfish becoming extinct simply because there are so many breeders out there and there are many stores that carry tank bred clowns.

Does look interesting to watch though.

daniella3d
12-10-2011, 03:47 PM
I think it may be the anemones in the wild that are becoming rare? Those are not bred in captivité so I am guessing the sone I have in my tank has been wild cought :(

Well, it's best to watch the documentary and talk about it after.

For sure the clownfish can be reintroduced from captive stock but what about their host?

I can't see clownfish becoming extinct simply because there are so many breeders out there and there are many stores that carry tank bred clowns.

Does look interesting to watch though.

MarkoD
12-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Really. So the dying fisheries off the grand banks is a hoax to force maritimers to uproot there families. Think again

i have no idea whats going on in the maritimes. but i find it hard to believe that humans could ever strip the entire ocean of a certain type of fish

Lampshade
12-10-2011, 04:03 PM
i have no idea whats going on in the maritimes. but i find it hard to believe that humans could ever strip the entire ocean of a certain type of fish
+1, the earth has been around a lot longer than we have, with many species going extinct long before we showed up. It's like global warming, we measure temperatures for a hundred years, notice it's going up, and say it's because of us. What about the other million's of years?

Proteus
12-10-2011, 04:04 PM

It's not that we strip the ocean of fish but rather we destroy there environment in our techniques. When a dragline crosses the ocean floor it takes any and all in its path leaving a barren landscape. Fish then loose there food sorce and ability to reproduce

daniella3d
12-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Do you actually think that this resource is illimited?? Of course they could stip the entire ocean...and that's why quotas are imposed on fisheries.

And that's not going to improve since humans are growing in numbers each year...scary.

Humans are the cause of the extinction of many species, either intentionally or not.

Proteus
12-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Do you actually think that this resource is illimited?? Of course they could stip the entire ocean...and that's why quotas are imposed on fisheries.

And that's not going to improve since humans are growing in numbers each year...scary.

Humans are the cause of the extinction of many species, either intentionally or not.

Most extinction in the last 200000 years is because of us. Before extinction was based on new animal evolving from there prior speices. Like birds coming from tetrapods and mammals coming from sauropods. Now extinction comes from habitat destruction

George
12-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Aquarium trade can drive a species out of extinction, especially if that species has limited range. Take Banggai Cardinal for example. It's "Endangered" on IUCN red list, thanks to aquarium trade.

Proteus
12-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Aquarium trade can drive a species out of extinction, especially if that species has limited range. Take Banggai Cardinal for example. It's "Endangered" on EUCN red list, thanks to aquarium trade.

Also. Achilles tang

daniella3d
12-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Oh my...you would think that since they are easily bred in captivity that would not happen :(

http://en.microcosmaquariumexplorer.com/wiki/Banggai_Cardinal_Declared_Endangered

That's a very sad reading but at least some village habitants are reacting to protect them. If the locals are getting sensible about this, they may have a chance.

Aquarium trade can drive a species out of extinction, especially if that species has limited range. Take Banggai Cardinal for example. It's "Endangered" on EUCN red list, thanks to aquarium trade.

Zoaelite
12-10-2011, 06:40 PM

+1, the earth has been around a lot longer than we have, with many species going extinct long before we showed up. It's like global warming, we measure temperatures for a hundred years, notice it's going up, and say it's because of us. What about the other million's of years?

Sorry gentlemen but your being flat out ignorant if you actually believe what you just posted.

This was an article in Science now for May of 2003, there are 1000's of articles with countless hours of study put into them all detailing vastly similar results. Do yourself a favor and go do some scholarly searches on the topic prior to posting garbage like this. Ignorance is bliss and it also happens to be highly contagious.

Swordfish, tuna, and other predatory fish species have plunged to 10% of their abundance before industrialized fishing, according to a new global analysis. It confirms smaller studies showing that overfishing has decimated certain fish species and gives a baseline estimate of earlier population numbers that should aid in conservation.

Many studies have documented the decline of coastal marine species, from sea turtles to rockfish, but pinning down large-scale changes of fish populations in the open ocean has proved more elusive. And those oceanic studies have usually focused on individual species fished beyond recovery, such as Canada's Atlantic cod. Partly because of the difficulty of estimating population size for far-traveling fish, few studies have looked for global changes. Many have relied on estimates of unexploited abundance that are too low, because they were calculated after fishing had already begun to impact stocks.

To get at global trends, fisheries biologists Ransom Myers and Boris Worm at Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia, Canada, analyzed a range of existing data, they report in the 15 May issue of Nature. They got hold of records from Japanese oceanic fishing expeditions that use kilometer-long lines with hundreds of baited hooks. These trips have covered all open ocean except the polar seas. For fish that live in the shallower waters over the continental shelf, the researchers used data from research cruises. They found that while the vessels caught six to 12 large fish per 100 hooks whenever longliners began fishing, the catch dropped to .5 to two fish per 100 hooks in the first 10 years of fishing in a given region. On average, populations have plummeted to a tenth of their former abundance from prefishing times.

“I think what this paper gives is a magic number,” says Jeremy Jackson, a marine ecologist at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography. By giving a solid estimate of worldwide declines, Jackson says, the study makes a case for aggressive, international conservation of remaining stocks.

Would you like to back up this statement with some proof? Nowhere near extinction eh?

Bluefin tuna have been eaten by humans for centuries. However, in the 1970s, demand and prices for large bluefins soared worldwide, particularly in Japan, and commercial fishing operations found new ways to find and catch these sleek giants. As a result, bluefin stocks, especially of large, breeding-age fish, have plummeted, and international conservation efforts have led to curbs on commercial takes. Nevertheless, at least one group says illegal fishing in Europe has pushed the Atlantic bluefin populations there to the brink of extinction.
-From National Geographic.

http://freshfromqatar.marvivablog.com/nomenclature/roberto-mielgo/

That link alone has over 15 full length scholarly reports detailing how ridiculous your statement was. Go read at least a few of them before you come back and post nonsense as such.

kobelka
12-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Hi,
I had to give my 2 cents. I have read that in the wild, even though clowns lay hundreds of eggs every couple of weeks for several years, they are lucky if 2 of their offspring live to become breeding adults. Not good odds. As with bangaii's, wild caught clowns are cheap for suppliers to buy making it hard for home breeders to break even, let alone make a profit.
Making the scales tip against the clownfish was the movie finding nemo which saw every person seeing this movie go out and impulse buy a nemo of their own.
It should be a great show to see the breeding side of it.

MarkoD
12-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Time to stop eating fish

milano07
12-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Sorry gentlemen but your being flat out ignorant if you actually believe what you just posted.

This was an article in Science now for May of 2003, there are 1000's of articles with countless hours of study put into them all detailing vastly similar results. Do yourself a favor and go do some scholarly searches on the topic prior to posting garbage like this. Ignorance is bliss and it also happens to be highly contagious.

Would you like to back up this statement with some proof? Nowhere near extinction eh?

-From National Geographic.

http://freshfromqatar.marvivablog.com/nomenclature/roberto-mielgo/

That link alone has over 15 full length scholarly reports detailing how ridiculous your statement was. Go read at least a few of them before you come back and post nonsense as such.

I totally agree with zoaElite. I was blown away by some of the stupid and ignorant comments posted earlier.

Some people really need to do some research before opening their mouth. Think a little before posting!

MarkoD
12-10-2011, 08:15 PM
I totally agree with zoaElite. I was blown away by some of the stupid and ignorant comments posted earlier.

Some people really need to do some research before opening their mouth. Think a little before posting!

Research?

I thought there was plenty of tuna. I was wrong. Now what?

Lampshade
12-10-2011, 08:27 PM
http://open.salon.com/files/duty_calls1287763892.png

But seriously... yes, tuna supply's are short, we should all be vegan and eat food grown only in our garden. As for "stupid and ignorant"... well, do some research on your own side too, plenty of facts in both arguments.

Zoaelite
12-10-2011, 08:53 PM
http://open.salon.com/files/duty_calls1287763892.png

But seriously... yes, tuna supply's are short, we should all be vegan and eat food grown only in our garden. As for "stupid and ignorant"... well, do some research on your own side too, plenty of facts in both arguments.

Brand me with Captain Internet if you want but educating people about the facts is the first step towards fixing the problem. As for "stupid & ignorant" there is a MASSIVE distinction between the two and at no time did I refer to either of you as stupid.

I was nice enough to share some references for my side of the fence perhaps you could reciprocate and do the same?

Research?

I thought there was plenty of tuna. I was wrong. Now what?

I would say make educated statements statements instead of pure opinion but this is the internet and we both know that will never happen :razz:.

Lampshade
12-10-2011, 09:00 PM
No worries, you backed it up with facts and presented a well thought out argument. You didn't put those things, but there was more than you on here :P.

daniella3d
12-10-2011, 11:42 PM
This is also why we see so many times tiny tanks with a clownfish and a blue hippo tang. :( Sorry I meant a Nemo and a Dori. I bet they don't even know the real fish name.

Hi,
Making the scales tip against the clownfish was the movie finding nemo which saw every person seeing this movie go out and impulse buy a nemo of their own.
It should be a great show to see the breeding side of it.