PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen Peroxide for Bubble Algae

Maverick00
12-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Anyone tried to dip LR in a solution of HP and tank water to kill off bubble algae from LR? I read on a few forums this has had positive results. I have a couple chunks of LR that are getting alittle out of control..

Lampshade
12-10-2011, 02:24 AM
Have you tried the emerald crab? Mine cleared out my tank and kept it down for a year then died. I've started to get it growing back and have just realized how much that little guy did. Definitely getting another one soon.

dpg
12-10-2011, 02:29 AM
I've dipped a piece of LR in h2o2 solution 3% fully submerged until it bubbled ~ a couple minutes and placed back in sump and the bubble broke down and disappeared. Had a couple zoas on that rock but they were and are still fine. No bubbles on that piece now. I've even injected with areas of cyano on my sand bed and the patch would bubble and disappear overnight. It will kill your Copepods/amphipods - they start fizzing and bubbling.

Maverick00
12-12-2011, 02:16 AM
I've dipped a piece of LR in h2o2 solution 3% fully submerged until it bubbled ~ a couple minutes and placed back in sump and the bubble broke down and disappeared. Had a couple zoas on that rock but they were and are still fine. No bubbles on that piece now. I've even injected with areas of cyano on my sand bed and the patch would bubble and disappear overnight. It will kill your Copepods/amphipods - they start fizzing and bubbling.

good to hear! maybe ill give it a shot on a small rock first!

I do have an emerald crab specifically for the algae but maybe its just not enough manpower. Perhaps ill try a combination of buying another crab and HP treatments. Thanks :)

crehman
12-12-2011, 03:44 AM
Have you tried the emerald crab? Mine cleared out my tank and kept it down for a year then died. I've started to get it growing back and have just realized how much that little guy did. Definitely getting another one soon.

+1 on the emerald crab. Little guy cleared up my tank in no time.

lastlight
12-12-2011, 04:02 AM
The resiliency of this algae just amazes (and disgusts) me.

I have been detailing ALL of my rockwork nightly. None of my new rock grows valonia yet but I can carefully pry the bubbles off, net them and come back the next DAY and in many spots new bubbles have grown - sometimes just as big as the day before :twised:

Lance
12-12-2011, 04:49 AM
Valonia is damn near indestructible! Just when you think you've got it licked and let your guard down for a moment, there they are again.

daniella3d
12-12-2011, 02:18 PM
I have 2 emerald crabs but they must be really big in order to be strong enough to eat those algae. I had a big one before and he was cleaning them a bit but my 2 small one about 1" can't do a thing to them.

Best thing I have seen was my foxface...He loved that stuff and ate all of them but when I sold the foxface they made a come back. :(

good to hear! maybe ill give it a shot on a small rock first!

I do have an emerald crab specifically for the algae but maybe its just not enough manpower. Perhaps ill try a combination of buying another crab and HP treatments. Thanks :)

BigAl07
12-13-2011, 04:37 PM
I've had great luck with H2O2 dips. I dip all new incoming frags in a 50/50 H2O2 mixture. I've not tried it on some of my expensive SPS yet (just haven't gotten any new ones in a long time) but have done softies and Zoas.

For bubble algae (Valonia ) I will remove the rock in question, manually remove the bubble algae, then do a dip in 50/50 H2O2 to hopefully destroy any spores that might have been released. Also my method of manual removal is coating each bubble with Super Glue GEL and then remove the whole mass as one. If it's a really large specimen you can usually carefully remove it by hand but do so OUT of the tank just in case.

Here is what a LARGE one looks like (This was behind a rock in my 90g tank)
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/BigAl07_01/Algae/IMG_7611.jpg