PDA

View Full Version : What brand of carbon do you use?

Oilers
12-09-2011, 07:08 PM
I am just wondering if there is any difference between the different brands of carbon. I remember somebody said that the ROX carbon at BRS is the best carbon you can have. I am looking at the Kent Marine Reef carbon at J&L. Has anybody used it before? Would you recommend it? If not, what do you use and what's your thought on it? Thanks for your input.

e46er
12-09-2011, 07:16 PM
I used it for a few years no ill effects I could see I'd recommend it
I also use ROX from caco3reef it's good stuff as well as far as I can tell my water is crystal clear

christyf5
12-09-2011, 07:33 PM
I use Kent, I bought a 5 gallon pail of it because it can be hard to find locally and when I run out its a pain to get shipped. I thought about rox but its been a long time since I used it (used to get it locally) and I can't really remember what all the fuss is about. I suppose once I run out of kent I might try a comparison to see if its really better but at well over double the price, Kent gets the job done for me. I would totally recommend Kent :biggrin:

lastlight
12-09-2011, 07:46 PM
I personally love it's extruded form. Rinses clear in 3 sec and with essentially no fines making the news linking HLLE to carbon fines irrelevant to its users.

Wayne
12-10-2011, 12:57 AM
I really noticed a difference when I started using Rox carbon. When I take my water out for water changes, it is almost as clear as the new water going in :lol:. As opposed to regular LFS carbon which always had a slight green/yellow tint to it.

lorenz0
12-10-2011, 01:22 AM
KZ, planning on changing it to a cheaper brand

marie
12-10-2011, 01:25 AM
I used Kent for years and was very happy with it but I have to admit I recently ordered the premium stuff from BRS to see what the fuss was about and there was a definite difference in water clarity....you get what you pay for :lol:

With that said though, if I run out of the rox before I need to place another order to BRS I would go back to Kent

Lance
12-10-2011, 02:21 AM
I'm with you Marie. I prefer the Rox and Kent is my second choice.

NU-2reef
12-10-2011, 03:28 AM
Anyone use brightwell's?

Casey8
12-10-2011, 03:31 AM
Kent reef carbon is my first choice for so many years.

mikejrice
12-10-2011, 03:49 AM
I just started using blue life clear fx. It's an all in one, but it has carbon in it, so I figured I would post. So far, I love it.

Michael Rice
Marine Engineers Aquarium Blog
Sent from Tapatalk so excuse my poor English

Reefer head
12-10-2011, 04:04 AM
Hello every body any thoughts on puracarbon does eney body use it

Oilers
12-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Wow, so many replies. Thanks everyone. The Kent carbon is on its way :)

Myka
12-10-2011, 04:48 PM
I've used Kent Reef Carbon for the majority of my reef keeping, just finishing up a 3 gallon pail now. It is cheap(ish) and works well, so you can't go wrong with it. I bought some of the Brightwell Aquatics carbon to try next. I've used the BRS ROX in the past, and really like it as well. I don't really have a preference between ROX and Kent carbon performance-wise so I buy the Kent because it is cheaper. Whatever brand it is, I won't buy it unless it is pelleted because pellets wash cleaner and easier.

I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals lignite carbon in my fish only tanks. I buy it by the box (4 or 5 gallons?). It's cheap crap. :p ...and not pelleted, although it rinses easily. I rinse using a stainless steel kitchen sieve. Have to change it more often...or use more than the better quality stuff.