PDA

View Full Version : coralife 65 skimmer

evaneatspie555
12-09-2011, 05:43 AM
i bought a coralife 65 skimmer and it can either be a hang on or an insump. either way i will have it in my sump but is one way more effective then the other. any help on this dilemma would help because if i can hang it on the sump it would give me a slightly larger refugium area to work with and if its better in sump i would make a seperate refugium that is pump operated and drains into the sump ?plz help

Lampshade
12-09-2011, 06:11 AM
I used to have that skimmer and whatever way you can keep the water level constant works fine. A small change in water level changes it from a wet skim to a dry skim quickly. You will also want a way to control the bubbles on the output, and hang on seem to work well for that since they have that foam de-bubbler thing.

MMAX
12-09-2011, 11:54 AM
If you haven't used it yet, take it back and exchange it for a better unit. When I first began SW I bought one mostly because of the price tag and had nothing but grief from it. If you can't exchange it make sure it is sitting in your sump instead of using it as a HOB. Any little change in ANYTHING will cause it to overflow. They are super hard to fine tune. I woke up on several occasions to wet floors before I got rid of the thing.

Steve-O-
12-09-2011, 01:21 PM
same as max there crap had many water on floor issues as well.

Maverick00
12-09-2011, 08:56 PM
+1

I liked it for the first few months and it seemed to do a fairly good job especially with a 100 or so pricetag. I had it HOB for the longest time then submerged it when i eventually got a sump. Not long after i started having issues with it overflowing from the collection cup, i was lucky it didnt start doing so when i had it HOB. I tried an Aqua C Remora but hated it, i now how a Vertex 100IN which im very happy with.

Steve-O-
12-09-2011, 10:48 PM
+1
i now how a Vertex 100IN which im very happy with.

ME to best purchase for me yet

evaneatspie555
12-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Well it came today and I set it up and tweaked it and it's working good I will keep everything in mind that has been brought to my attention I will have it hob and I will watch it daily If I see any problems I will sell and get a new one do far it working good I have it on a super dry foam so if there is anything in my water for it to take out it will take it out and not alot of water seeing as my taam rio was working fine and now I have a Niger tank and same amount of fish for now thanks for some knowledge