PDA

View Full Version : Miniature Tube-like Feather Dusters

volitan
12-09-2011, 04:12 AM
Anyone know what these tiny tube-like feather dusters are called, and what their natural enemies are? I have them growing like grass in my reef system. They are absolutely harmless, but they are overtaking the natural beauty of my live rock, and are basically leaching the calcium from the water. I know that iodine wash will kill them, but that will also kill all the critters living in the live rock, as well.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Mandosh
12-09-2011, 04:18 AM
They're not feather dusters, they're colonial hydroids. Nothing I know of eats them and they're next to impossible to kill. Maybe someone else knows of something that kills them. Good luck.

emerald crab
12-09-2011, 04:18 AM
A CBB will do the job.

Nano
12-09-2011, 04:32 AM
arent hydroids just a form of jelly fish? might be a dumb question but I thought I read that somewhere :mrgreen:
I had a few but only on one rock I just pulled the rock Out and boiled the p*ss out of it lol killed everything even my feather dusters :( but no hydroids!

The Grizz
12-09-2011, 04:36 AM
My CBB cleaned out my whole tank of those pesky little buggers, there had to be at least a couple thousand totally covering my sand bed from one end to the other in my 8'er.

Madreefer
12-09-2011, 04:39 AM
Another vote on hydroids. Very evasive. Try coating in a thick kalk paste.

Nano
12-09-2011, 04:40 AM
Another vote on hydroids. Very evasive. Try coating in a thick kalk paste.
well poop.. if I knew that I wouldnt have killed my little feather dusters too! lol Oh well It was a small little chucnk of LR anyways

Madreefer
12-09-2011, 04:53 AM
well poop.. if I knew that I wouldnt have killed my little feather dusters too! lol Oh well It was a small little chucnk of LR anyways

Well you pretty much killed everything on the rock if you say you boiled it. So you most likely released a bunch of die off in to your tank (nitrates).