PDA

View Full Version : Question about changing MH ballast

Casey8
12-09-2011, 01:12 AM
I am wondering how often do you need to change your MH ballast, or do you use it forever ? I have a ballast that I have been using for over 3 years now, do I need to change it like we change bulbs, maybe not as often as bulbs. How can you tell if it is too old and when to get a new one ? Boxing day is coming soon, I think I'd better ask now so I can add it on my list.

Maverick00
12-09-2011, 03:11 AM
im not sure if the performance of the ballast decreases with time or not? I didnt think it did but i suppose having a backup on hand if you can get one for a good deal wouldnt hurt. Im assuming most people run a ballast until they kick the bucket or upgrade.

lastlight
12-09-2011, 03:14 AM
Use them until they die I've never heard anything to indicate they lose potency. When they do die you either get a replacement if you can find one (electronic is easy) or if you're faced with no other options you downgrade to one of the other many types of lighting out there such as LED.

mike31154
12-09-2011, 03:26 AM
Is your MH ballast electronic or good old magnetic coil & capacitor? If it's older type magnetic, the capacitor will generally be the weak link & age as time goes by. Pretty easy to tell usually, since your lamp won't fire or takes longer than usual. In most cases the capacitor itself is easily replaced & ballast good as new again. Coil or transformer is pretty bullet proof. New electronic MH ballasts are sealed units & not repairable. They will simply die at some point & the whole thing is trash.

Casey8
12-09-2011, 03:34 AM
Thanks for your input, you guys ... I am happy to know that I don't need to buy a new ballast, I can save a hundred dollars to spend on something else. Mine is an electronic one, so I think I am safe for a long time.

isaac1
12-09-2011, 03:39 AM
Just switch to t5ho or led there becomming twice as efficenct and will save your power bill there a bit pricy but worth the investment

gregzz4
12-09-2011, 03:45 AM
or if you're faced with no other options you downgrade to one of the other many types of lighting out there such as LED.
:rofl2:

Maverick00
12-09-2011, 03:49 AM
:rofl2:

I found the comment unfair as well, alittle biased anyway :P

Casey8
12-09-2011, 03:49 AM
I wish :razz: but no money though

isaac1
12-09-2011, 03:59 AM
i have a 400 watt custom built mh with 7 built in blue atinic mini lamps there is nothing wrong with it all and it has grown amazing corals thow because it has a ballast it cost roughly 48 dollers on my electrical were as my 6 bulb t5ho cost 5 dollers and produces a much more efficent light spectrim with out the risks of fire or over heating to each there own

Casey8
12-09-2011, 04:03 AM
You are lucky with your corals, I have 2x400W with 2 actinic but all my yellow sps corals are still turning green color, I just can not keep them yellow. I have googled and found out that it is because I don't give enough light for them :neutral: I really don't understand.

daniella3d
12-09-2011, 04:14 AM
Something is not quite right in your math.

If your 400watt MH light cost your 48$ and your 6 x T5HO cost you only 5$, then each one of your T5HO must be about 6 watt...I don't know of any T5HO that is 6 watt... My T5HO in my 24" fixture are 24 watt each, so it's 96 watt for the whole thing and that is very very far from equivalent to even my 250 watt MH.

6 x T5HO that would be about 50 watts in total would definitly NOT be anywhere near equivalent to a 400watt MH bulb.

400 watt = 48$, thus 5$ = 41.5 watt. How can that be with 6 x T5HO?

I may not be good at math, but something is not right.

i have a 400 watt custom built mh with 7 built in blue atinic mini lamps there is nothing wrong with it all and it has grown amazing corals thow because it has a ballast it cost roughly 48 dollers on my electrical were as my 6 bulb t5ho cost 5 dollers and produces a much more efficent light spectrim with out the risks of fire or over heating to each there own

daniella3d
12-09-2011, 04:16 AM
Most important thing for the yellow is lack of nitrates and phosphates:

I have no problem keeing yellow under my 250 watt 14k MH.

http://reefbuilders.com/2008/09/03/guide-of-sps-coral-coloration-make-them-more-vivid-bright/

You are lucky with your corals, I have 2x400W with 2 actinic but all my yellow sps corals are still turning green color, I just can not keep them yellow. I have googled and found out that it is because I don't give enough light for them :neutral: I really don't understand.

Casey8
12-09-2011, 04:24 AM
Do you mean my tank has too much nitrates and phosphates ? ... I have never tested for them. I didn't know the yellow is the hardest to keep their color.

isaac1
12-09-2011, 04:30 AM
Each t5ho bulb is 54 watts what is 54 times 6 is 324 watts

Casey8
12-09-2011, 04:34 AM
Most important thing for the yellow is lack of nitrates and phosphates:

I have no problem keeing yellow under my 250 watt 14k MH.

http://reefbuilders.com/2008/09/03/guide-of-sps-coral-coloration-make-them-more-vivid-bright/

Thanks a lot for the link. I am learning a lot from reading it tonight.

isaac1
12-09-2011, 04:35 AM
O lol ya i see ur point

lastlight
12-09-2011, 04:38 AM
I found the comment unfair as well, alittle biased anyway :P

LOL... I was just kidding. It's fun to poke a bit of fun at the people with more money than me =) I've had T5s though and really liked the colour output. LEDs... too soon for me just yet.

apexifd
12-09-2011, 04:40 AM
Do you mean my tank has too much nitrates and phosphates ? ... I have never tested for them. I didn't know the yellow is the hardest to keep their color.

yellow should be the easiest to keep, as long as you can keep the nutrient low.

few things that you can do are:

over skimming
less feeding
more frequent water change
macro algae
mangrove
less fish
bio-pellets
zeo-vit
etc etc etc

or plumb your tank straight to the ocean.

I personally didn't change water for 4 months, and everything keeps their color well.

gregzz4
12-09-2011, 05:10 AM
LOL... I was just kidding. It's fun to poke a bit of fun at the people with more money than me =) I've had T5s though and really liked the colour output. LEDs... too soon for me just yet.
I was only poking fun at you :boink:
Don't let someone else's comments take the humour out of it :wink:
I enjoyed the thought of some elitist MH owner saying their setup is better than an LED setup :mrgreen:

Maverick00
12-09-2011, 08:58 PM

Sorry missed the sarcasm:mrgreen:

Casey8
12-10-2011, 03:07 AM
yellow should be the easiest to keep, as long as you can keep the nutrient low.

few things that you can do are:

over skimming
less feeding
more frequent water change
macro algae
mangrove
less fish
bio-pellets
zeo-vit
etc etc etc

or plumb your tank straight to the ocean.

I personally didn't change water for 4 months, and everything keeps their color well.

Thanks for your advice, but ... :sad: if everybody says the yellow is the easiest one to have, for me it is the opposite. All the frags I have bought lately with lots of different color, all of them turned out perfectly the way it should be, except the YELLOW :twised: and I love yellow ...

StirCrazy
12-11-2011, 12:04 AM
I went 5 years on my MH, magnetic ballast and then sold them.. sure they are still going.

as for MH being better than LEDs depends on how you look at it.

I am both a MH fan and LED fan, for pure low cost, simplicity and power I would go with MH, but LEDs don't throw heat use a little less power and if you build or buy them right you can change the color. MH you can move from tank to tank, a custom LED setup only if the tanks are close to the same size.

so basically if you don't mind high evaporation, possibly needing a chiller, and are ok with spending a few more bucks a month of power for the chiller and lights then stay with MH.

Steve

Casey8
12-11-2011, 03:09 AM
I may have to stick with MH for a long time. I am actually quite happy for what I have, just a little regret that I should have bought 2x250W instead of 400W... yah a little bit pricey to change bulbs and pay for the hydro too, but my 2 air conditioners running in the summer time cost more than anything else.

lastlight
12-11-2011, 03:13 AM
course if you are in the basement and need that heat, run radiums and don't need to adjust your colours and need more than 2 feet of front-to-back...

you might just find a friend in halides =)