PDA

View Full Version : Best resevoir for the Tunze ATO system and how far can you hide it?

Hustler
12-08-2011, 10:18 PM
So im getting ready to hook up my new ATO and im still at odds with what to use for the RO water.... And how far away from my sump i can put this res....
Either a camping water jug, a 5 Gal pail or maybe a cube aquarium?
If it has to be close to my sump it will be out in plain sight so that sucks either way.... I was hopeing to hide it in the next room 5 feet away then i guess it wouldnt matter so much and i could use something bigger... Im adding about 3.5 gallons a day so i would like to get one bigger than 10 gallons.
Any ideas or solutions you guys can think of?

shootingstar
12-08-2011, 11:22 PM
When I set mine up I used a food-safe plastic pail with lid that I got from a wine making store. It would be what you make the mash in before you put it in the demi john. Was cheap, food safe, had a lid and even has gallons marked up the side. Cut a small hole in the lid for the ATO hose & cord and was good to go.
Mine is right beside the sump through so not sure how far away you can go.

cwatkins
12-09-2011, 12:15 AM
5 Gallon empty salt bucket. In my case, Instant Ocean. Cut a little slot in the rim of the lid so that the lid can go back on and not interfere with the pump tubing.

Also fits in the stand next to the sump making it invisible with the cabinet doors closed.

Skimmerking
12-09-2011, 12:17 AM
ya screw the pail and run a line from your RO unit to the top off line its so easy PM me your number and I will explain it hustler

cwatkins
12-09-2011, 12:34 AM
ya screw the pail and run a line from your RO unit to the top off line its so easy PM me your number and I will explain it hustler

Then the Tunze ATO wouldn't be the best option for him.

With this option, he'd need to have a controller hooked to a solenoid on the RO/DI input, and then run it directly to the tank.

Myka
12-09-2011, 02:22 AM
Mike, you're nuts to hook the top off straight to the RO/DI system. If there is ever a failure all of a sudden your fish are swimming in freshwater! I know two people that have crashed their tanks this way. Imo, not a good idea.

Hustler, I use a 5 gallon pail for my 90 and it is a bit small for in the summer when evaporation is at its peak. I think you're looking for something close to 30-40 gallons or so if you have room. Running the line through a wall into an adjacent room is pretty simple. You could install it to run behind the baseboards if you want. Make sure the end of the top off line (the end at the tank/sump) is higher than the water level of the vessel you are pumping from otherwise it will gravity feed out of the vessel. :lol: Dog food storage containers tend to be a good shape. Personally, I don't like use trash cans because they are often not food grade plastic. 65 gallon drums work well too (I use these for mixing saltwater).

madkeenreefer
12-09-2011, 02:42 AM
I would'nt go the direct RO/DI conect either it has other problems other then stated already such as the membraine leaching which is not to critical when making large quantities each cycle but to stop start a unit all day every day is well just bad,
Also agreed that a large brute can or the like will make you very happy when you dont have to make up sml 5gl buckets all day sundays :biggrin:

Be carfull I did this and brought a cheapO storage bin. I was out of town for 8weeks and had me misses look after the refilling of the bin , long story short I came back to a half dead SPS tank and could not find any problems until I decided to remove the Bin from service ( last thing I changed in tank) and at the bottom of the bin it was like milk.
The Bin had leached, hell knows what I put into the tank.

mr_alberta
12-09-2011, 05:59 AM
Mel, we have a 16G cylindrical tub made out of polyethylene that might work for you at the shop...come on down and check it out if you'd like.

Rogue951
12-09-2011, 06:12 AM
I use a salt pail with a gamma lid. (snaps onto a 5 gallon pail with a screw on lid top.)
However if you use it without the ring that snaps to the pail top, there's just enough room for the lid to sit flush and let the cable/tube come out.

gregzz4
12-09-2011, 07:15 AM
I haven't had a system running yet, but would never run RO/DI direct.
It isn't efficient this way and can obviously dilute your system if it fails.
I am lucky that I have a room where I can store 55g if need, although I will probably never hold that much at one time.
I just bought a drum/barrel

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80884

Sorry if the add doesn't apply to your area :mrgreen:

My plan is to have a 10g top-up for my 100g system. No direct plumbing.
trudge the water to my ATO as needed.

MarkoD
12-09-2011, 01:53 PM
I used a 5 gallon bucket but found I was refilling it every 2 days. Now I use a 70 gallon tank

parkinsn
12-09-2011, 03:15 PM
I used a rubbermaid 25g ish with the tunze ATO. I put in the closet near my tank, about 8' away. Drilled a small hole in the floor ran it on the basement open celing and back up through the heat duct behind the tank. Worked well and hid the res. I had the same problem, never wanted the tub sitting visible by the tank.

Hustler
12-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Well I got her going and it Just fit into the closet...
Ill probably try and put a 2 foot extention on the hose and wire for the pump but we will see...
Now I Have to find a 30 gal plus container...

Hustler
12-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Also...
Can the tunze pump run dry or does it have a built in sensor?

Jakegr
12-11-2011, 12:41 AM
Also...
Can the tunze pump run dry or does it have a built in sensor?

It can run dry.

Great ATO system though. It's one of the few pieces of equipment on my tank I completely trust.

cale262
12-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Also...
Can the tunze pump run dry or does it have a built in sensor?.

It can run dry but it will turn off after about ten minutes of run time.

cwatkins
12-11-2011, 07:08 PM

It can run dry but it will turn off after about ten minutes of run time.

Ya, that's how I know that the bucket is empty if I hear the pump running dry (it's rather loud and difficult to ignore).

Sometimes my wife will hear it while I'm at work and fill it up for me.