PDA

View Full Version : Had a zoa frag melt.. Dang

Nano
12-08-2011, 08:45 PM
All my parameters are great finally! no pox or nudis/spiders that I can see, but one of my frags melted over the past couple of days, I've made some phone calls, and poked around online and alot of people are swearing by Furan-2 for reviving zoo's and curing them off illness etc. plus a lot of people are reporting explosions in growth after dipping, now me being new, I am just looking for that extra comfirmation from you guys! as I know there are a lot of "Zoaholics" on here like myself! Thanks for the help guys!

daniella3d
12-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Furan 2 is not the miracle med. It work for zoa pox but not other times. I dip my ill zoas in furan 2 and a high dose of vitamin C and it sometime help, sometimes they melt anyway.

Sometimes a peroxyde dip work just the same and it is much less expensive. Furan 2 will not always cure zoanthids and sometimes they just shut down and melt, as if they do not want to survive.

YOu can first try a 1/3 peroxyde 3% 2/3 tank water dip and see if that help.

All my parameters are great finally! no pox or nudis/spiders that I can see, but one of my frags melted over the past couple of days, I've made some phone calls, and poked around online and alot of people are swearing by Furan-2 for reviving zoo's and curing them off illness etc. plus a lot of people are reporting explosions in growth after dipping, now me being new, I am just looking for that extra comfirmation from you guys! as I know there are a lot of "Zoaholics" on here like myself! Thanks for the help guys!

Nano
12-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Like just a general hydrogen peroxyde? or just peroxyde? the over the counter stuff? should I dip the melting zoo? there are still one or 2 open polyps on it, the rest are closed and turning brownishFuran 2 is not the miracle med. It work for zoa pox but not other times. I dip my ill zoas in furan 2 and a high dose of vitamin C and it sometime help, sometimes they melt anyway.

Sometimes a peroxyde dip work just the same and it is much less expensive. Furan 2 will not always cure zoanthids and sometimes they just shut down and melt, as if they do not want to survive.

YOu can first try a 1/3 peroxyde 3% 2/3 tank water dip and see if that help.

Nano
12-08-2011, 09:05 PM
p.s. thanks for the reply!

daniella3d
12-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Yes the regular peroxyde that is for sale in pharmacy. 3% or 5% I think, the regular one that we use to clean up wounds.

Yes you should dip those because the brown stuff is probably some fungus or some bacteria film. I would dip them and blow the brown stuff out. Leave them in the dip for a minute or two, and then put them back in the tank in good flow.

Like just a general hydrogen peroxyde? or just peroxyde? the over the counter stuff? should I dip the melting zoo? there are still one or 2 open polyps on it, the rest are closed and turning brownish

Nano
12-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Man oh man.. my first peroxyde dip! Lol no I'm up in the big leagues jkjk thanks D wouldn't know how to do it on my own

daniella3d
12-09-2011, 01:13 AM
They usually survive the peroxyde dip very well and rarely melt from it. Sometimes they close for a few days after the dip but they come back stronger. I just hope you cought it in time. Hard to tell.

Man oh man.. my first peroxyde dip! Lol no I'm up in the big leagues jkjk thanks D wouldn't know how to do it on my own

Nano
12-09-2011, 01:23 AM
I hope so too! all my other frags are huge and healthy should I still dip them as well to not risk any potential further deaths? the dying one has what looks to be about 2-4 decent polyps still, if I lose one thats better then losing all of them

daniella3d
12-09-2011, 02:52 AM
No I would not do it unless they start to show any sign of discomfort or unusual behavior.

If it's not broken don't fix it :)

I hope so too! all my other frags are huge and healthy should I still dip them as well to not risk any potential further deaths? the dying one has what looks to be about 2-4 decent polyps still, if I lose one thats better then losing all of them

Nano
12-09-2011, 03:05 AM
No I would not do it unless they start to show any sign of discomfort or unusual behavior.

If it's not broken don't fix it :)
K thanks! I will keep an eye on them!

PurpleMonkey
12-09-2011, 06:22 AM
I use a Lugols/FW dip for all my zoa frags when I add them and its helped keep my frags from melting...

I would probably try the peroxide dip first, and you can try using a new soft bristke toothbrush ( get the ones with the flat cut bristles) and remove all the rows except 2 or 3 and use that to carefully brush from the base upwards to help remove the fungus.

good luck

Nano
12-09-2011, 07:06 AM
Thanks I dipped it and blew it off with a turkey baster and a whole bunch of brown crud came off looks like about 3-4 possibly open polyps still so hopefully I can salvage those but we'll see

gregzz4
12-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Sounds like you are going through many problems since you started your tank.
I've seen many of your posts and would like to know what I will be up against when I start mine.
What do you think happened to cause you such grief?
Did you populate your tank too soon?
Or was it that your rock wasn't cured?
What do you think happened?
Greg

KevinK
12-09-2011, 02:11 PM
interesting I moved 2 big rocks from my old tank to my sump (we moved and I made a sump sof my new tank in a few months.

before moving them, thy where going down a bit (the 10 inch rock was 60% covered, both of them)

so now in the new house thy are even going down more and more, and the frags I had from them, do the same, 3 months ago 30 polyp's a frag, a week before moving only 20, and now a month after the move, there is only maybe 10 polyp's left on the disc,

the 2 big rock went from 60% covarage, to only 25%

as there is nothing on the rock, other than zoa, would I be able to dip the entire rock, and than afterwards, rins it all.

as a foot note, when I moved, the temporarely tank (later to be my sump, holds 100 gallon, and was completly filled with water from the old tank, and the trip was only 15 minutes, not tempreture swings ore nothing, it was gust going down before the move, and is still going down

Nano
12-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Sounds like you are going through many problems since you started your tank.
I've seen many of your posts and would like to know what I will be up against when I start mine.
What do you think happened to cause you such grief?
Did you populate your tank too soon?
Or was it that your rock wasn't cured?
What do you think happened?
Greg

Just didn't do my research properly lol. I waited about 6 weeks for the tank to cycle before adding critters. Apparently zoo's melt sometimes. If your looking for what not to do my threads are definitely. Good place to start lol. But in terms of setting up a new tank I'm not the guy to ask Haha

Nano
12-09-2011, 05:46 PM
I couldn't say about the rock, as said I cycled for six weeks til the parameters were where they should be,
put in my clean up crew, waited about 1 week, then one clown, turned out he was carrying ich.
Personally though I see them as learning experiences haha, cause now I have an idea of what to do in some situations
I lost a shrimp due to stray voltage which I still can pinpoint the exact location, I think it actually might be a bad ground
in the wall plug it self, cause unplugging cords from the tank proved fruitless, until I unplugged the power bar
Salinity spike came from stupidity mostly not think that I should have been topping off with fresh water
I wa topping off with salt... (duhhh) lol I sure felt dumb on that one, also I started with a hydrometer,
which was reading 3-6 points lower then what my salinity actually was so I would see 1.025 and think it
was good, when it was acually 1.028+!! luckily as I'm sure you are finding lots of people love to help one here, one actually gave me his spare refractometer, so I haven't had that problem since.
now its pretty much just narrowing down the zoa frag melt situation, but as I said, a few others have told me
its happened to them too. Luckily again, I now know what to do, and how to do a peroxide dip :)

Point is here that I think yes I have had tons of problems, I think some could be from my equipment (hydrometer)
but mostly from not doing my homework prior. I think we all make mistakes in this hobby even the experienced
but its learning from those mistakes that ensures our tanks survival in the future. And hopefully I dont
have many more problems :pound: Cause I'm tired of being the village idiot on here lol :lol:

daniella3d
12-09-2011, 09:04 PM
wow, you are very brave to mention that...I would be ahamed to say it :redface:

At least you take it with humor :)

For those who have problem with zoanthids melting more than usual, you could try dosing vitamin C with Sodium Ascorbate (buffered vitamin C) not the regular acid ascorbic as this is too acidic.

I am doing it for nearly 2 months now and it help the overall health of the zoanthids.

Another very important thing is to avoid alkalinity swings at all cost. Since I have started dosing 16 times per day with a dosing pump, my alkalinity as been super stable and that show in my zoanthids colonies. This and the vitamin C dosing has made my zoanthids much more resistant to melting. As soon as I see some closing a bit more than normal I do a dip with peroxyde and the week after they are like new.

Sometimes I can count up to 40 bristleworms in one frag, especially the frags on a small rock. Some are very large bristleworms. They are not eating the zoanthids but I have seen their bristles get stuck into the zoanthid flesh and make them close. That can become en entry point for bacterias and other diseases. When I do the peroxyde dip, I discard into the garbage can all those tons of bristle worms that come out...and they do come out after just a few second in peroxyde.

I wa topping off with salt... (duhhh) lol I sure felt dumb on that one, also I started with a hydrometer,
have many more problems :pound: Cause I'm tired of being the village idiot on here lol :lol:

Nano
12-09-2011, 09:09 PM
wow, you are very brave to mention that...I would be ahamed to say it :redface:

At least you take it with humor :)

Well its the truth lol, My idiot mistake :P Luckily I know understand alot of what caused most of the problems and how to fix them, basically by doing everything wrong I got a crash course in reefing, and now know what to do in many situations, so in a way its not necessarily a bad thing, more of a lesson or learning experience :)

reefwars
12-10-2011, 02:49 AM
you know what ive been noticing alot of you guys have problems with zoas i guess i cant telll you whats wrong butt ill say this as useless as its gonna sound....i never have problems with zoas they always grow good for me.....wanna know my trick???

i drop them in the tank and never look at them again.....i know right.....i dont add fish to my tank, i do reguar water changes,i feed the tank, i leave stuff alone and let it grow...i keep my hands out of the water unless i need to do something....i never start them high always on the sand against a rock bed

told you this was useless info lol
:):)

reefwars
12-10-2011, 02:50 AM
anytime i did have problems with polyps its usually from aiptasia or algae.....now i dont have any of either thank freaking god lol

Nano
12-10-2011, 02:57 AM
anytime i did have problems with polyps its usually from aiptasia or algae.....now i dont have any of either thank freaking god lol

haha I havent had any aiptasia since my first few weeks of cycling, oh wait thats a lie, I had one in one of my zoo frags, but I got it and the frag just took off, its grown about 6(or some where around there) new polyps since and that was about 2 or 3 weeks ago when I got it. I dunno why that one got infected with something, kinda strange but not uncommon I guess, anyways tonight I notice the frag I dipped last night a lot of the polyps I had written off on it seem to look more firm and not brown today, so this could be a good sign!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen: