PDA

View Full Version : Skimate not stinky?

Aquaria
12-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Anyone else find there skimate not stinky?? I get som nice dark stuff that clogs the stem if I don't clean twice a week but I don't find it has a smell or a really stinky smell anyway. Am I just used to it or is something wrong? I use a aquaC urchin non pro with a total system vol of about 25g

globaldesigns
12-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Anyone else find there skimate not stinky?? I get som nice dark stuff that clogs the stem if I don't clean twice a week but I don't find it has a smell or a really stinky smell anyway. Am I just used to it or is something wrong? I use a aquaC urchin non pro with a total system vol of about 25g

If it is dark, sticking to the neck of the skimmer, and the actuall skimmate is more than a tea color, it should smell like you know what! Wierd.

toytech
12-08-2011, 05:01 PM
I have a tunze 9002 on my 30 gal and my skimate comes out looking like coffee and there is a thick sludge in the neck but same as you theres almost no smell at all.

Parker
12-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Mine reeks, it will stink up the whole house.

Reef Pilot
12-08-2011, 05:03 PM
I have the opposite problem. Mine is very stinky, and have to clean my skimmer cup and collector (milk jug) at least twice a week. I have a Beckett type, with a lot of air flow, so it smells up my whole sump room.

Was thinking of maybe putting some spent carbon or something in the milk jug to maybe absorb the smell.

Ross
12-08-2011, 05:42 PM
My skimate smells worse than the day after going to an all you can eat mexican restaraunt.

Bblinks
12-08-2011, 06:00 PM
consider yourself lucky, its probably due to the size of you tank, my bio cube 29 is running a tunze skimmer, skimmate is dark but it does't really smell too bad, not that I purposelly sniffs it. Well only when I am nervous. When it comes to the 210, OMFG does that ever stink up the whole house.

Gripenfelter
12-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Maybe you're over skimming?

TheMikey
12-08-2011, 06:29 PM
I have a tunze 9002 on my 30 gal and my skimate comes out looking like coffee and there is a thick sludge in the neck but same as you theres almost no smell at all.

This is my experience with my Tunze 9002 as well. Running on about 35 gal total water.

Aquaria
12-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Maybe you're over skimming?

I wouldn't think so

sphelps
12-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Healthy fish and good diet I would guess

Reefer Rob
12-08-2011, 07:37 PM
I think it depends on what you're keeping. The skimmate from my 180 was so bad it stunk up the whole house, but I had some large fish, in a mature system with who knows what else living in there. In my 18" cube with little fish and less other life it has almost no smell at all.

bvlester
12-08-2011, 08:02 PM

ha ha ha ha NO SMELL put it back and let it age awhile longer. No, really it all depends on what the skimmer is taking out. If it is more platonic bio-mass then it stinks more than if it were just fish poo. My skim mate really stink most of the time but there are times it does not seem to have much of a stink at all. I chalk it up to a few things possibly my head is a bit stuffed up, head cold weather is changing. The change in weather can do this sort of thing as the air pressure increases it put more pressure on the surface of the water and there for keeping more of the solids lower in the tank there for they do not go to the sump. Fish poo alone does not stink to bad because it is already partly broken down. there is a stink but no were near the stink of taking live bio more out and letting it start decay.

If you don't believe me then take a small tank set it up and get it running for even a couple months and then drain the water out and wait and see what the stink will be like.

Bill

Madreefer
12-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Well theres people that think their chit dont stink. Never heard of one that thinks their fishes chit dont stink. J/K :lol: Your lucky, the skimmate in my skimmer would gag a maggot.

asylumdown
12-09-2011, 02:38 AM
the skimmate on my nano at worst smelled faintly of potting soil. The skimmate on my 90 smelled like a mixture of intestinal gas and sushi that had gone off.

Maverick00
12-09-2011, 02:42 AM
Mine isnt bad either but not to much of a bioload on a 33 gal. I use the cold water to clean out most of the cup, hot water has abit of a microwave effect :puke:

Aquaria
12-09-2011, 03:00 AM
Mine isnt bad either but not to much of a bioload on a 33 gal. I use the cold water to clean out most of the cup, hot water has abit of a microwave effect :puke:
I'm thinking that's the case with mine it's mostly inverts and coral with one prawn goby

Maverick00
12-09-2011, 03:06 AM
I'm thinking that's the case with mine it's mostly inverts and coral with one prawn goby

agreed, i have inverts, two clowns, boxfish and a chromis.
I do get the sludge in the skimmer cup as well though, other than fish poop and food decay, what else are we actually skimming out of the water? Decay from LR and sand as well? anything else im missing?

marie
12-09-2011, 04:28 AM
Have you tried using a good cold and sinus medicine? ......you'll be back to smelling bad things in no time :razz: