PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Province: Tiny fish reel in heavy heat from Enviro

Samw
02-17-2004, 08:15 PM
Glofish being seized in Western Canada:

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/theprovince/news/story.html?id=5100bf98-9065-484f-b83f-05c2ae361784

February 17, 2004

The world's first mutant pets, living products of genetic science, were slipped undetected into Canada late last month without our government's knowledge or consent.

The discovery of the transgenic creatures, created in the lab of Singapore scientist Zhiyuan Gong, is causing Environment Canada grave concern. So alarmed is this watchdog branch of the federal government, it has sent dozens of agents out across the country to seize and quarantine the genetically modified life forms.

Last week, 50 of the creatures were seized in B.C., and 400 in Alberta. The hunt continues for "hundreds" more believed lurking in pet stores throughout Canada.

"Holy man-sized marmots!" a reader in PoCo screams over her morning Province. "Get the kids in, Ricky! Lock the doors!"

"Teacup hippos with Avian flu!" gasps a reader in the West End. "The surgical masks. Hurry. HURRY!"

Fear not, folks. This is a lot of fuss -- and considerable expense -- over a tiny little fish about as large and dangerous as a guppy.

The frisky little Frankenfish was created in the lab for the benefit of science. By injecting a gene from coral into the eggs of a common freshwater aquarium fish called the zebra danio, biomedical researchers are able to "fluoresce" the animal in part or whole. Scientists can even "program" a zebra fish to "switch on" in the presence of certain environmental toxins.

You can imagine the reaction from those who would rather humankind left transgenic tinkering to the higher powers.

In January, an American firm, Yorktown Technologies -- no doubt inspired by the success of the lowly Sea Monkey -- began marketing the transgenic fish, which also glow in the dark. Without permits or clearance, it shipped batches of its high-tech GloFish to Canadian pet stores, including Superpet in Richmond, where a dozen of the critters now languish in a tank taped off by Environment Canada as a biohazard.

---
See link for rest of article

Chad
02-17-2004, 08:29 PM
wow.. thats amazing..

Son Of Skyline
02-17-2004, 08:46 PM
Wow...these fish are a biohazard!

BCOrchidGuy
02-18-2004, 05:44 PM
The concern is that the fish are genetically altered with jelly fish DNA. The Govt is concerned that if one or two of these fish die and get flushed down the toilet there is a possibility of the DNA getting into our wild fish stock. RCMP intellegence is handling the investigation. The fish look marvelous.
Not to start a war here but, gee, aren't we farming genetically altered atlantic salmon over here? I guess they pay enough taxes to keep the Gov't from asking to many questions.

Doug

Quinn
02-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Not that salmon farming doesn't have its fair share of problems, but I don't think it's worth risking wild populations just so we can give our kids glowing fish. At least you can eat the salmon. :razz:

christyf5
02-18-2004, 08:04 PM
Well you could eat the glowing fish too but I think it would take a heck of a lot of them to make a decent meal :wink:

Christy :)

Chad
02-18-2004, 08:36 PM
I went over to SuperPet to have a look at the "BioHazard" fish, but it seems they took them out of their displays.. oh well...

Samw
02-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Curious, how would DNA from dead zebra danios affect our wild fish populations?

BCOrchidGuy
02-18-2004, 11:07 PM
Chad, they are not supposed to touch those fish period. They are not allowed to move them, feed them or dispose of them until they are told how to do it. King Ed has some as well, they are complying with the law requiring them NOT to handle the fish in anyway. That store runs the risk of some legal problems if they moved the fish with out proper authorization.
I'm not sure how the DNA is supposed to get into our wild stocks but, they seem to think there is a risk.

Doug

Quinn
02-18-2004, 11:17 PM
Consumption of the fish would also involve consumption of their DNA I think... not sure how it activates and becomes a problem, but I know it happens (mad cow, for instance).

dekay
02-19-2004, 12:17 AM
If kids in singapore started flushing their dead genetically altered fish into the toilet; and assuming some ill effect takes place. What's stopping these DNA to be carried over to our shores after a period of time? If it was hard getting ppl infected with SARS to stay out of our borders, I hate to imagine how they prevent fish to reach our shores.

Quinn
02-19-2004, 01:17 AM
Well I suppose it's possible that a fish, having consumed the modified DNA, could be shipped to Canada as a pet, and then dies and is disgarded, thereby transfering the DNA to the environment in a roundabout way. However I think it's unlikely.

Certainly the nations of Southeast Asia would look at this in a manner different than the way we Canadians are.