PDA

View Full Version : Fluval Edge - Nano reef????

b_james
12-07-2011, 04:39 PM
I have a Fluval Edge (regular one, not the tall one). I was thinking of setting up a nano reef but Im concerned about maintenance. Due to the design of the tank, it is hell to work on. Anyone successfully using an Edge as a nano?

Any pics and details of your set up would be great.

Blom
12-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Google it as there is quite a bit of info on the topic. More than a few have done this and from the images it looks pretty neat. But I would agree with you on the ease of care taking on a tank like that, seems like a nightmare (Not that I know first hand).

Pinchy
12-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Hey there, it was my first reef tank i attempted. It can be done with the LED lighting upgrade plus Coralife 50/50 mod. It makes a great looking little tank however water changes and maitenance can be quite a pain. The water level ALWAYS has to be topped off or else you risk burning out the LEDs / 50/50 due to salt splash and unless its all the way to the rim you will get bubbles under the glass. That being said when it was clean and running it was one really nice looking tank!:mrgreen:

I had the same lighting as this guy + the coralife 50/50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuOiPoVRZg

b_james
12-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Hey there, it was my first reef tank i attempted. It can be done with the LED lighting upgrade plus Coralife 50/50 mod. It makes a great looking little tank however water changes and maitenance can be quite a pain. The water level ALWAYS has to be topped off or else you risk burning out the LEDs / 50/50 due to salt splash and unless its all the way to the rim you will get bubbles under the glass. That being said when it was clean and running it was one really nice looking tank!:mrgreen:

I had the same lighting as this guy + the coralife 50/50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFuOiPoVRZg

How often did you have to do a water change? Also i found when using the edge for fresh water, top offs were minimal.

Nano
12-07-2011, 10:17 PM
YOUTUBE! Lots of really nice Edge nanos on there and a lot of people go into detail on the mods they have made to the tank

Pinchy
12-08-2011, 01:46 PM
How often did you have to do a water change? Also i found when using the edge for fresh water, top offs were minimal.

I did a partial water change every 1-2 weeks (it varied). Due to the small tank size i was able to keep the nitrates very low with a 25% water change (less than 10ppm). As for the top off, you will most likely have to do this daily. If you dont mind putting in the extra work it makes a neat looking reef.:mrgreen: If you would like to see some pictures send me your email address!